Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2006, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ congrats mane!! ill detail her for ya!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good morning people. It's the beginning of the last week at work.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 05:16 AM
Evolved Member

Morning to you....I'm up and heading out for an all day/night bachelor party. Golf at 9 in madison so I'm leaving in like 10 minutes.

Looks like it will be very nice out today.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:30 AM

Well our first clutch install on an Evo with and ACD is complete! This one took a while, but not entirely because of the ACD. There were just a couple other minor issues with a couple bolts and some pondering over what to do with the ACD. The next one will be quicker as far as the ACD goes.

For those that are interested in the technical detail:
Based upon infor Pete looked up online and the info in the owner's manual, we decided the following (please, anyone, correct me if this is wrong): The ACD system consists mainly of a hydraulic line connected to the center diff. The pressure in the line determines whether the center diff is free, limited slip, or completely locked (no slip). The hydraulic fluid in the ACD system is not in contact with mating surfaces like tranfser case or transmission oil. So, the car is safe to drive with the ACD system empty - you will just lose the ACD functionality - leaving the center differential in a fully locked or fully free position (have not yet determined which position it is in when there is no pressure on the line). In fact the owner's manual also states that it is ok to drive the car while the ACD system is malfunctioning.

Therefore, we decided to disconnect the ACD hydraulic line that is cleverly () placed 1/4" in front of a 6" long bolt holding on the transfer case. Of course, this drained the entire ACD system, which will have to be re-filled and bled, but the bleed procedure seems very straightforward and the bleed nipple is very easy to access.

Now, I am sure it is possible to remove the transfer case from the tranny without removing the line - AMS claims to have done so many times. However, that would require getting a wrench behind the line and getting enough torque on that wrench to turn it. (I wish I had a photo to show you.)
Then you would have to back the transfer case off of the tranny while unscrewing that bolt because there is only enough room to unscrew the bolt about 1/4" before it hits the line. If you ask me, that would make getting the transfer case back on the tranny a b|itch and a half (normally it is only 1/2 a b|tch ).

Ok, enough of the techno babble...
All-in-all, the install went fine, the clutch bites hard at a good engagement point, and Honni likes it so far.
Thanks to Honni for being the guinea pig. This was our first clutch job on an Evo with ACD!
Old Jul 22, 2006, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good morning E-thugs and E-friends.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MidniteEco
Well our first clutch install on an Evo with and ACD is complete! This one took a while, but not entirely because of the ACD. There were just a couple other minor issues with a couple bolts and some pondering over what to do with the ACD. The next one will be quicker as far as the ACD goes.

Based upon infor Pete looked up online and the info in the owner's manual, we decided the following (please, anyone, correct me if this is wrong): The ACD system consists mainly of a hydraulic line connected to the center diff. The pressure in the line determines whether the center diff is free, limited slip, or completely locked (no slip). The hydraulic fluid in the ACD system is not in contact with mating surfaces like tranfser case or transmission oil. So, the car is safe to drive with the ACD system empty - you will just lose the ACD functionality - leaving the center differential in a fully locked or fully free position (have not yet determined which position it is in when there is no pressure on the line). In fact the owner's manual also states that it is ok to drive the car while the ACD system is malfunctioning.

Therefore, we decided to disconnect the ACD hydraulic line that is cleverly () placed 1/4" in front of a 6" long bolt holding on the transfer case. Of course, this drained the entire ACD system, which will have to be re-filled and bled, but the bleed procedure seems very straightforward and the bleed nipple is very easy to access.

Now, I am sure it is possible to remove the transfer case from the tranny without removing the line - AMS claims to have done so many times. However, that would require getting a wrench behind the line and getting enough torque on that wrench to turn it. (I wish I had a photo to show you.)
Then you would have to back the transfer case off of the tranny while unscrewing that bolt because there is only enough room to unscrew the bolt about 1/4" before it hits the line. If you ask me, that would make getting the transfer case back on the tranny a b|itch and a half (normally it is only 1/2 a b|tch ).

All-in-all, the install went fine, the clutch bites hard at a good engagement point, and Honni likes it so far.
Thanks to Honni for being the guinea pig. This was our first clutch job on an Evo with ACD!
Thanks for the writeup, a quick question though.

Did you or do you need to pull a fuse or something to completely deactivate the ACD if you have no fluid in there? Doesn't it use a pump to pressurize that line and isn't running that pump with no fluid in it going to burn it out?

What is the procedure for bleeding the acd system?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
Thanks for the writeup, a quick question though.

Did you or do you need to pull a fuse or something to completely deactivate the ACD if you have no fluid in there? Doesn't it use a pump to pressurize that line and isn't running that pump with no fluid in it going to burn it out?

What is the procedure for bleeding the acd system?

Im postitive that there is a pump in there is switch the clutch/gear assembley in the case. Although I highly doubt the pump is constantly running at all times. The ACD BUTTon act like a bump switch, so when the switch is actived the pump turns on for an instant and then back off once the line is pressurized to its pre-detrmined pressure. Thats what I think, Id have to see a schmatic of the ACD system
Old Jul 22, 2006, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah, if someone has Yeti's number. Can you give him a call and tell him to drop my phone off at work.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dryad001
Im postitive that there is a pump in there is switch the clutch/gear assembley in the case. Although I highly doubt the pump is constantly running at all times. The ACD BUTTon act like a bump switch, so when the switch is actived the pump turns on for an instant and then back off once the line is pressurized to its pre-detrmined pressure. Thats what I think, Id have to see a schmatic of the ACD system
But the system doesn't run a constant pressure in there does it? I thought the ACD was always increasing or decreasing lockup based on what the car is doing. I thought the ACD button was basically switched the 'map' that the ACD computer uses to determine its action.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
Ink
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dryad001
Oh yeah, if someone has Yeti's number. Can you give him a call and tell him to drop my phone off at work.

Morning all.

Mikey
I just called him for you.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MidniteEco

am glad everything went ok now when i burn my out you guys can do it for more practice lol and what time you guys get done.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:02 AM

hey fcheng that game you told am trying to play it but it aint easy
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:03 AM

hey micloiv you coming to the races tommorow?
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:07 AM
Ink
Evolving Member

P.S.

Congrats on the new clutch Honni and congrats on the good work Nick. Thanks for being the guinea pig as I am sure this will help the rest of us with ACD save alot of time in the future.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by the-moss
...The fact is that I think everyone on here has differing opinions on what everyone should do with their cars, how far it should be modded, how often it should be washed and what kind of road's, track's or parkinglots it should be driven or photographed on. Sure we all rip on each other for our Ghey wheels, big turbos on an autocross car, sticking with stock power, roll cages, neon lights, never clean, never driven in 2 years, 2-god-damn-evo's, all gauges no mods, 12-amish-powered-evo's, can't stop breaking, sh1tty front bumpered skunk looking thing... It's just people screwing around an giving each other a hard time.
i don't think you ripped on my car anywhere in there

Quick Reply: Milwaukee - America's Drunkest Evo Owners