Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2007 | 09:48 AM
djh
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by coolnick
Nobody is going to Grattan? Nobody wants to see how fast they can go down the 3000' straight, or see if they can get any air on the Jump Hump?
So how was it? Did I miss a thread in the motorsports forum?

I'm hoping to make it to Autobahn in July, sort-of my old 'hood. Looks like there's an 1850' back straight with a perfect 90 right. Type-2 corners are the toughest for me, I'm just not consistent with braking and entry.

Dave
Old Jun 12, 2007 | 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't go. I had a house disaster early in the week so I didn't get to the brakes until late Thursday night and I didn't feel like pulling an all nighter. I'll try to make it to Putnam in Oct. The baby is due in 5 weeks.
Old Jun 12, 2007 | 10:10 AM
djh
Evolving Member

I didn't go. I had a house disaster early in the week so I didn't get to the brakes until late Thursday night and I didn't feel like pulling an all nighter. I'll try to make it to Putnam in Oct. The baby is due in 5 weeks.
Well that's a bummer (about Grattan, that is). By October you'll be getting a few hours sleep at a stretch, so you'll be in great shape for Putnam.

Dave
Old Jun 12, 2007 | 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Spotted Coolnick driving his 90GSX tonight on spring grove about 8pm looks good
Old Jun 13, 2007 | 07:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo loco
Spotted Coolnick driving his 90GSX tonight on spring grove about 8pm looks good
Hahaha the maiden death voyage. Something is rather loose in the passenger front suspension area causing the car to pretty much go wherever it wants in a left hand turn. Hopefully the lock collar on the bottom of the coilover is just loose. It needs a ton of tuning, we were just out dialing in the 1250cc injectors.

I need to do a boost leak tonight and fix the idle switch, then I can start WOT tuning. That 35R comes on like a freight train around 5k rpm.

Where were you?
Old Jun 13, 2007 | 12:11 PM
djh
Evolving Member

we were just out dialing in the 1250cc injectors.
So you could go through a full tank of gas in, what, 40 minutes, with those things? I gotta wonder what a car like that will be like on the track. I'm thinking you may find Dead Bear a little tricky at Putnam, you'll just be getting slammed into your seat when you have to brake. And both 8 and 4 really need some throttle finesse. Much fun!

Dave
Old Jun 14, 2007 | 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Found the suspension problem. I left the passenger side ball joint nut loose and it had nearly backed all the way off. It was hanging on by 2 threads. That was nearly a catastrophic failure. I pressed in a new balljoint this morning and will get the control arm back on the car tonight.

I had a massive boost leak where the throttle body elbow meets the Tbody, the top of the gasket was blown out. I replaced the gasket and no leaks now.

My TPS was out of range, I adjusted it. The idle switch had a bad connection and I fixed that. It idles like a champ now.

I had seen a few people push 950 cc injectors into some pretty high duty cycles with a 35R and man boost so I went for the 1250s to give me some headroom. I am going to see if I have enough injector to run 30+ psi on E85. If I don't have enough injector I have a meth kit with a 5 gal reservoir that should get the job done. I have JICs on the DSM, but it doesn't turn anything like the Evo and the brakes look prehistoric in comparison. The widest tire I can comfortably fit on the car is an Azenis 225/45-17 so I don't know if it will ever see road course duty. I guess I could throw my stock Evo wheels and RA1s on it and hit the track. Right now I'm worried about making it really really really fast.
Old Jun 15, 2007 | 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

I went out and drove it some more last night. The boost comes on at a far more reasonable RPM now that the boost leak is fixed. I am running on wastegate springs only right now (1.5 bar) and it was holding steady at 22 psi. The A/F was in the 9.5-10:1 range and this thing was still moving pretty well. I was picking up a little knock around 6k rpm so I couldn't wind it all the way up but I can tell it is going to be a lot of fun. Here are some pics of the good side.

Old Jun 15, 2007 | 07:36 AM
Evolving Member

Looks good Nick when i saw you i was in a CSX blazer by the Metro lot
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Here are a couple shots of the engine bay and turbo setup. The heat is still out of control with this thing. The manifold and downpipe are radiating way too much heat and I have a huge gap between the FMIC and the radiator. I am thinking the air is going through the FMIC and bypassing the radiator. I am going to duct the FMIC to the radiator and see if that improves things. It runs cool at 35-40 mph, but as soon as I get on the higway at 55 it starts to get hot. Such a PITA.

Old Jun 18, 2007 | 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

You may need to thermal wrap the manifold, hot side and downpipe. have you thought about a diferent hood? I know you would loose some of the sleeper look but it may help to releave some of the under hood heat. Other than that it looks great.
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

I used thermal wrap on the downpipe, but not on the manifold because it can lead to cracking in stainless manifolds. I am going to have a heat shield made for the manifold.

I actually took my original hood and cut and welded up an inverted hood scoop that would draw the heat out, kind of like what you see on the 03-04 Mustang Cobra. Unfortunately the #3 and #4 runners come up so high they hit the bottom of the inverted hood scoop. I would really hate to have something sticking up because it would ruin the look of the car. I had been thinking about trimming the other hood to clear the two runners. At this point a small cut out with some mesh under it would probably suffice.

These 1G DSMs run some seriously high underhood temps. I'll try the ducting this week and see if that helps. I think that should work because I have let it idle for an hour and it won't get hot and when I return from a drive it will actually cool when idling. You would think idling would be the worst case scenario, but the 14" FAL fan is doing a pretty good job of keeping things cool. Right now it appears to be an airflow issue as it gets hot as the speed increases. There is around a 5-6" gap between the FMIC and the radiator, I think if I seal that off it will force air through the radiator and keep things cool. At least that is my hope. It is stupid fast before it gets hot.
Old Jun 18, 2007 | 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good Nick, almost makes me miss my 3 DSM's!

Is anyone planning on going to Mid Ohio? I'll be heading up thursday night. Hopefully I can defend my lap record and keep my position atop the class intact.
Old Jun 19, 2007 | 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

I ordered a bunch of Thermo-tec stuff from Jeg's yesterday so I should have it today when I get home. I also have some sheet metal laying around and the original plastic radiator duct, I figure between the two of those I can get a nice tight functioning duct on the car. It sucks when you work that long on a project, finally get it running and can't go beat on it because of some heat issues. I'm not too worried though, it should be on and popping by the weekend. I might try to hit up Tri-State next weekend.
Old Jun 25, 2007 | 05:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark your calandars.....I am coming home! ! !

End of July.

There will be a rather large gathering at my new house in N KY. I will keep you all posted.

OHH...just to let you all know.....I have $7k in parts waiting to be installed. Anyone care to help?

Paul

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***