Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007 | 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where are you moving from that you have 5 garages??? why would you leave that!!
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 05:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
where are you moving from that you have 5 garages??? why would you leave that!!
In Clifton and with the baby we feel it is time for the burbs. The garage is in the background of those Rabbit pics. If anyone wants a 4 bed 2 full bath house with a 5 car garage in Clifton for $185k holler!
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

will you take a check dated 2045?
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
After many hours in the garage testing everything I finally got my sputtering problem fixed. Turns out is was a combination of bad plugs and blown throttle body seals. The car is running like a champ once again. I am boosting 22psi with no taper. Ahh....it feels so good.

I will be ready to put the cams, springs and retainers, cam gears, AVC-R, and an Apexi TT in soon.

Anyone want a Blitz TT on the CHEAP? It works like a champ. I got the Apexi one because of it being red and matches my interior lights. Yes I am ****.

Nick......look in N KY for your new house. You get a lot more for your money here.
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Nick......look in N KY for your new house. You get a lot more for your money here.
Tis True.. BUT they rape you on your Car!! Everytime you renew your plates you pay tax again on your car!!
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

We looked in NKY and had to go pretty far out to get what we wanted. We actually found the best deal for our money in Anderson. We have a house under contract now, hope to close it at the end of the month. :crossesfingers:

Glad you got that thing up and running again. Just in time for the craptastic weather.

Speaking of which I need to drain my FMIC sprayer and get some washer fluid in there before I have a giant ice cube.
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, this may be kind of important to any '03 and '04 owners. Both Eli and I have had catastrophic failures of RS LSD's out of JDM cars. I got only 1 launch out of mine, maybe Eli was the same? At any rate I picked up some carrier parts from Eli yesterday since the internal bearings in my carrier took a beating when my diff let go. Strange thing was that none of the pieces fit together properly...

He had 2 JDM carriers, only one of which was the proper OD to seal the t-case apart from the tranny. So I took that one. I started to assemble the diff into the carrier, and guess what? The USDM open diff wouldn't fit into the larger JDM carrier. So I got out the calipers and did some measuring.

The fabled "drop-in" JDM RS LSD is SMALLER in diameter on BOTH bearing surfaces than the open USDM diff. The RS diff definately fits in the USDM carrier, but is not properly supported by the bearing surfaces inside the carrier. I took someone elses word to the fact the RS diff was a direct drop in, and didn't notice the very small difference in size nor the extra room between the diff and the bearing surface. I am certain that this is the cause of my diff failure, and maybe Eli's too.

So just a heads up guys, if you are upgrading to an RS LSD make sure it fits properly before throwing it together or else you will be doing the job again at some point.
Old Nov 12, 2007 | 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Hey guys, this may be kind of important to any '03 and '04 owners. Both Eli and I have had catastrophic failures of RS LSD's out of JDM cars. I got only 1 launch out of mine, maybe Eli was the same? At any rate I picked up some carrier parts from Eli yesterday since the internal bearings in my carrier took a beating when my diff let go. Strange thing was that none of the pieces fit together properly...

He had 2 JDM carriers, only one of which was the proper OD to seal the t-case apart from the tranny. So I took that one. I started to assemble the diff into the carrier, and guess what? The USDM open diff wouldn't fit into the larger JDM carrier. So I got out the calipers and did some measuring.

The fabled "drop-in" JDM RS LSD is SMALLER in diameter on BOTH bearing surfaces than the open USDM diff. The RS diff definately fits in the USDM carrier, but is not properly supported by the bearing surfaces inside the carrier. I took someone elses word to the fact the RS diff was a direct drop in, and didn't notice the very small difference in size nor the extra room between the diff and the bearing surface. I am certain that this is the cause of my diff failure, and maybe Eli's too.

So just a heads up guys, if you are upgrading to an RS LSD make sure it fits properly before throwing it together or else you will be doing the job again at some point.
Ouch, I bet that wasn't cheap.
Old Nov 13, 2007 | 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Greg.....I put in an RS LSD that I got from Shep Racing. It fit quite tight into the bearings. I did have to pull it apart and shim it a bit though. There should be almost no side to side movement in the diff. The shims are cheap insurance.
Old Nov 13, 2007 | 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like it be worth is to by a quaife or cusco for a better fit.
Old Nov 13, 2007 | 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't have any side to side movement, and everything fit together snugly. The shims you are referring to are the two fiber shims that go on either end on the diff?

My point is that if you buy a used diff from someone, make sure it came out of a USDM car.

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Greg.....I put in an RS LSD that I got from Shep Racing. It fit quite tight into the bearings. I did have to pull it apart and shim it a bit though. There should be almost no side to side movement in the diff. The shims are cheap insurance.
Old Nov 13, 2007 | 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

useless note -- i just found out my tire pressures were 18 lbs...felt kind of squishy. that is all
Old Nov 13, 2007 | 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
I didn't have any side to side movement, and everything fit together snugly. The shims you are referring to are the two fiber shims that go on either end on the diff?

My point is that if you buy a used diff from someone, make sure it came out of a USDM car.
I'd also like to know how you shimmed it. I may be taking mine back apart to see if the second lsd I put in is the correct size usdm. I don't want to blow another front diff
Old Nov 15, 2007 | 10:46 PM

coolnick, who is the guy that lives on the west side with black evo and gold volks??? I want to see a picture!!!
Old Nov 15, 2007 | 10:49 PM
Evolving Member

Subscribed.
I live in Cincinnati too, and drive a black evo 8 with bronze fn01rcs on it.

HKS Down Pipe
Test Pipe
Greddy EVO2 Exhaust
ACT Street/Strip Clutch(GARBAGE)
RNR Intake
Buschur Racing Deluxe Front Mount Intercooler
Buschur Racing Lower Intercooler Piping
Forge RS Adjustable BOV
Walbro 255 LPH Fuel Pump
Greddy Profec B boost controller
Greddy Turbo timer
Slotted rotors