Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2009 | 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya Paul, take a look at their schedule - there are 8 different dates there now including friday's and monday's.

I was looking at the May 11th anyway Nick, if for no other reason than to do a little re-con for the NASA event the following month. Pace car needs to know where the track goes, where to stage during the race, where to hide if necessary, set up restart protocol's etc.
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Hi everyone long time no post. I sold the evo and still have the stock stuff to get rid of. If anyone is interested please pm me. I have the following stuff to sell.

All parts are stock and were removed from car in first 300 miles.

turbo back exhaust
all 4 struts & springs
fuel pump
intake

polished turbo heat shield

also have the cable to program the ecu.

Any reasonable offer will be accepted

Joe
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

Also have the stock rear swaybar to get rid of. It was removed with 10000 or so miles on the car.
I may have some more odds and ends too.

Joe
Old Feb 4, 2009 | 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by ohio-evo
Hi everyone long time no post. I sold the evo and still have the stock stuff to get rid of. If anyone is interested please pm me. I have the following stuff to sell.

All parts are stock and were removed from car in first 300 miles.

turbo back exhaust
all 4 struts & springs
fuel pump
intake

polished turbo heat shield

also have the cable to program the ecu.

Any reasonable offer will be accepted

Joe
how much for the struts, I need front ones bad.
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lst4g63
how much for the struts, I need front ones bad.
PM sent
Old Feb 5, 2009 | 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 992gnt
Ya Paul, take a look at their schedule - there are 8 different dates there now including friday's and monday's.

I was looking at the May 11th anyway Nick, if for no other reason than to do a little re-con for the NASA event the following month. Pace car needs to know where the track goes, where to stage during the race, where to hide if necessary, set up restart protocol's etc.
I will surely be all over it. I just need to get this darn cam idle issue solved. Big cams, hard intake pipes and a MAF = stall at idle when rolling to a stop.

I have it worked out that it will not stall as much, but the issue is the car goes super rich 10-11 AFR and slowly loses RPM until it dies or catches itself and then settles to idle at 14.7 AFR and 1000 RPM.

I scaled the MAF, scaled the injectors (FIC 780), fuel trims are spot on. I went through the BISS setting procedure when the car was not driven and idle will hold at about 950 with SAS activated so I know the BISS is correct.

I guess the last resort is to go back to the stock rubber intake tube and see if it helps.

Any suggestions???
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Have you tried adjusting timing??
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 07:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
Have you tried adjusting timing??

Yeah timing was bumped up to 8 degrees from the stock 5.

But in closed loop idle the timing will jump all over the place any way so changing the base timing only gives the car a centering range.

I went through my XML files and found a couple errors in reference to temp scalings. I fixed the errors and will try a re-flash today.

Other than the idle stuff, the car pulls like mad. I am only running 23 PSI while I work out the bugs. Once things get a bit warmer I will tune it for 26psi on 93 octane.

As it is now I have 0 knock and boost comes on hard at about 2700 RPM and holds till redline at 7900. AFR tapers on a 3rd gear pull from 13.7 to 12.5 at 5k then stablilzes to 11.8 till about 6500 then it goes a little more rich 10.9 until redilne. I did it this way for safety while I work out any bugs. Oh and timing is pretty conservative right now too. The car is quite the torque monster....fun as ever to drive too.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to turn my boost up again, 14psi sucks!

You're boost peak is at 2700? What turbo? You may want to look at adding a vacuum tank to help keep the car from actually stalling when coming to a stop with the brakes on etc. What is your idle set to (rpm's)?
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

I am running the FP Green with a ported head, ported stock mani, ported and coated 10.5, ported and coated 02 housing, megan DP & cat DEL, 5 Zigen 80mm cat back, full HKS intake & suction pipes and a K&N cone filter.

I did all of the porting myself. Ahh the hours with a die grinder!

Vacuum tank??? Never heard of such a thing.

Idle is set to 1000 RPM. It will hold a great idle when I first start it up. It is lopey as all get out but sounds mean. Gotta love high lift cams. It isn't until I load the engine while driving and then unload the engine by coasting to a stop that the idle issue arises.

The car is a blast to drive.....you will have to give it a run Greg. It makes me grin like a kid in a toy store every time I mash the gas.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

You may want to bump the idle up a bit to help with the stalling, there's no real way to tune for a lack of vacuum...
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah the stock vacuum is about -900 mm/Hg while with my cams it is about -300 mm/Hg. I suppose I could move it up another 50 or so RPM.

I am going to try fixing the few temp problems I cound in the XML first. If it does not work.....back to the drawing board.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

make it idle like a F1 car :P that would be sweet!

i've still wanted some cams -- maybe some S1's. Just don't have the coin right now...hell if things don't start improving here shortly doubt I will have the coin any time soon! We just got the word here at work: no raises, no bonuses for at least the next year....

Last edited by Kronik; Feb 6, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old Feb 6, 2009 | 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kronik
make it idle like a F1 car :P

I can do that with my right foot.
Old Feb 15, 2009 | 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

WOO HOO ! ! I got the car to idle. It took a lot of work, but it runs amazing now. Wow it is so much fun to drive....Torque monster to say the least.

I had to swap plugs, adjust timing, scale the MAF, build a heat shield for the cone filter, adjust timing, adjust Idle values, turn up the idle sensitivity, clean the MAF, turn off lean spool, turn off EGR & block plate it, and adjust Knock sensitivity to remove phantom knock.

Every once in a while it will act up a tiny bit when rolling to a stop. I just feather the throttle a tad and its good to go.

AHHH. Much better.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***