Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2009 | 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.local12.com/news/local/st...gSDJXh1Sw.cspx
http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...4HPYIHiUQ.cspx
A silver evo crashed, anyone know who this might be?

Last edited by evo loco; Aug 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old Aug 6, 2009 | 02:53 AM
Evolving Member

wow. they (channel 12) totally profiled the **** out of that kid!

i bet those chick in the bonnie were at fault. but because he had a "special tachometer that measures speed" and "low profile tires" he was at fault.

if he was driving like an idiot,he deserves what he gets, but there is no significance to the profiling of his car.

this was the comment i left, until i realized i had to be registered and dont feel like recieving more junk mail.

"Wow. Holy Profiling batman!

the person at fault is the one who crossed the center line (or lost control of their vehicle.) because there are not enough facts there should be no jumping to conclusions, but the author has clearly taken it upon themselves to do so.

If you would like to read how this article SHOULD have been written, you can find it on WCPO's website."

Last edited by heel_touge; Aug 6, 2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2009 | 02:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fractur3
The rents just bought me a condo down at uc, woot. We close the 26, and it's got a garage! Anyone wanna help me with my dp install when it comes time?
don't know ya, but im close by and want to learn more about these cars.
Old Aug 6, 2009 | 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a lot of Evo accidents around here. My wife says people down at the hospital who have no clue about cars know what they are because they've gotten so many serious injuries from their drivers/passengers. I suppose it doesn't help that the 8/9s have abysmal safety ratings, but still...

Be careful!
Old Aug 6, 2009 | 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lots of evo accidents is why insurance is so high on them.

As for the car that was in this accident....it had stock wheels so the tires are not that "low profile".

I have never heard of a tach that reads speed....dang people are dumb.
Old Aug 7, 2009 | 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
I suppose it doesn't help that the 8/9s have abysmal safety ratings, but still...

Be careful!
Or it could be the vast majority of Evo owners are young, unskilled drivers brimming full of testosterone. If I had a dollar for every Evo totalled by a driver under 21, I could probably buy another Evo. You crash any car into a pole/wall/car/truck/tree at above HIGHWAY speeds bad things are gonna happen. Luckily no one was killed. This time.
Old Aug 7, 2009 | 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Or it could be the vast majority of Evo owners are young, unskilled drivers brimming full of testosterone. If I had a dollar for every Evo totalled by a driver under 21, I could probably buy another Evo. You crash any car into a pole/wall/car/truck/tree at above HIGHWAY speeds bad things are gonna happen. Luckily no one was killed. This time.
True, true. And they do perform well in head-on collisions, so that helped in this case. This is the second Evo accident within a 2-3 mile radius of my house that I've heard of. The other one killed the driver and crippled the passenger. Sad, really.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 7, 2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2009 | 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Granted I heard this through a friend but this kid from the area near where I grew up had a first Evo that his parents bought. Well he totaled that, so his parents bought him another one. Go figure.

There was an M5 accident that killed like 5 teenagers down in Florida on an airport strip. I believe it was one of their dad's M5. Its not just Evos that inexperienced drivers get into and kill themselves in. Corvettes, Porches, etc...

Go to the track if you want to go fast... Impress your friends with numbers.

Last edited by 4G63 4EVR; Aug 9, 2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old Aug 8, 2009 | 08:40 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone planning on going to Tri-State today?
Old Aug 10, 2009 | 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

EVERYONE SIGN UP FOR THE JAWBREAKER!!!!

CINCINNATI RALLY!!!!

http://vimeo.com/6027417

then tell me that the video looks good, and you want to pay me moneys to make you one!!!
Old Aug 11, 2009 | 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostincincy
EVERYONE SIGN UP FOR THE JAWBREAKER!!!!

CINCINNATI RALLY!!!!

http://vimeo.com/6027417

then tell me that the video looks good, and you want to pay me moneys to make you one!!!
Some things on that site (www.jawbreakerroadrally.com) just don't seem right. For example, the phone number to the graphics place comes up as a bike shop.

The address for the m place comes up as an abandon warehouse.

The Subaru link isn't trade mark from subaru.

Sounds too fishy for me.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 03:36 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, that rally just smells fishy to me too. It seems so low budget and, I don't know, cornballish. They're making it out to be like freaking MTV style awesome people doing awesome things with celebrities and awesomeness abounding.

I'm imagining it more as a few nerds in WRXes having a cookout outside a crappy hotel.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I was thinking about the Rally as well, but had similar concerns to you guys. I found the "provide your address and car information so we can approve your car" to be a little suspicious. I was just going to forgo the hotel and head back to my house after it was done.

I've always wanted to participate in one of these, but I'm not sure this one is the place to start. Anyone actually signed up for it?

My evaluation of the rally based on its sponsors:
  • I checked out the parking lot/Mainstay bar location and it appears to be legitimate, but they also claim the hotel is close... the only close hotels are the Hyatt Regency, and the Hilton, which I doubt they were able to get for $50.
  • Merchfits ("the m place" from above) does have either an abandoned or non-existant warehouse as its address. However, the site has a lot of work in it. Way more work than you would expect from a scam. It looks legitimate. Either Google places the address wrong or they built/cleaned up a warehouse.
  • The Centerville, Ohio-based photo company "That Photo Studio" has a one page website created in iWeb that says they specialize in pet photography.
  • Superhuman Inc. sells some shirts based on their logo and that's it.
  • Synister Vinyl Graphix and Powder Coating has no physical address as far as I can tell... just an email address and phone number.
  • Unheard Of appears to occupy what was an empty but nice-looking building when Google last drove through. It's a block away from Mainstay and the parking lot, so it's probably safe to assume whoever works at / owns that place had some influence on planning the rally.
  • I doubt Subaru is an actual sponsor. The link goes to the WRX's page on the Subaru site, which I seriously doubt Subaru would request. It's obvious the host drives a WRX and thought it would be neat to make them a "sponsor."
  • Finally, the whole thing is run off BigCartel. "BigCartel is a shopping cart for artists." Not exactly who you'd expect to be collecting money for a car rally.

While some of the places are obviously legitimate, I'm still timid.

Update:
Whois information shows that the owner of Superhuman Inc. and Jawbreakerroarrally.com are the same person, and that person is related (same last name) to the couple who runs the photo studio. The others appear to be independent.

All-in-all, I would say that it doesn't appear to be a scam, but rather something thrown together really quickly by a small group of people. For example, the rally's domain name wasn't even registered until the end of June. I still can't decide if it's worth doing or not.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 12, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

WOW....I thought my wife was good. She was a legal secretary for a major firm for years. She is great at digging up dirt.

Unless someone can chime and and explain all of this in detail....I am not doing it. Otherwise, I am like you....I would love to do something like this. It looks like it would be a blast.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I just haven't heard of anyone actually doing it. I've seen the same spam on every forum; EvoX, here, NASIOC, etc, etc (ah, the joys of owning multiple AWD cars ), but no one saying "oh, boo ya, I'll be there!"

It'd be like if only Buschur posted about his DSM meet, and no one else.

I don't think it's a "scam" per say, but as others said, just something tossed together incredibly quickly. Legality wise, having logos all over the place is probably damn near illegal.

I'm half way tempted to drive my happy *** down there and just see if anyone is actually there during the event.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***