Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2009 | 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It doesn't even tell where it starts or finishes.

Oh and just to let everyone know....my car is now sitting on Tanabe GF210s. The stance is perfect. Now I need to get another set of rear sway bar end links. Mine rattle like crazy.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdog
I just haven't heard of anyone actually doing it. I've seen the same spam on every forum; EvoX, here, NASIOC, etc, etc (ah, the joys of owning multiple AWD cars ), but no one saying "oh, boo ya, I'll be there!"

It'd be like if only Buschur posted about his DSM meet, and no one else.

I don't think it's a "scam" per say, but as others said, just something tossed together incredibly quickly. Legality wise, having logos all over the place is probably damn near illegal.

I'm half way tempted to drive my happy *** down there and just see if anyone is actually there during the event.
Well, here's about all the info I can give:

Trevor is the name of the co-creator of the Rally, as well as he owns Superhuman Inc. By day, he's the creative director at System Cycle (Largest BMX distributor in the country still I believe), and I've known him for probably 5 years or so. His knee has been blown out multiple times of the past two years so he's really gotten a lot more into cars during this time (he used to own a semi built 3 series), then got the STI. He told me this winter about the possibility of Jawbreaker, but it was my last quarters of school, and I basically fell off the face of the earth and didn't talk to anyone.

Then once the spring came, he started emailing/texting me saying he wanted to meet up and talk about Jawbreaker, it's happening. So, by the time I graduated, I finally met up with him and his good buddy Jason (the other co-creator). We sat and had dinner and he filled me in completely on it, and at that time, he said "I'm trying to get Subaru aboard", and I didn't know what that meant exactly, but whatever, didn't care. My expertise is video/film, so he asked if I wanted to make some car promos almost like short films to help get the buzz about Jawbreaker, so I was down of course because I love shooting, and would love to shoot cars for a living, so I said sure.

But, planning the rally is a TON of work, they spent forever scouting roads, starting locations, stopping locations, the destination originally wasn't Cincinnati, etc... getting sponsors, a hotel, a lot, everything...so he was too busy to stay on my ***, and I started getting more work than I anticipated and got busy too, but we managed to crank out these two promos, which both were shot on very limited schedules, because I honestly don't really get a full day off work ever.

As far as Subaru's role, I'm not sure exactly, but he did confirm that they were sponsoring the event, or else the logo wouldn't be posted all over the site. It may sound far fetched, but the BMX industry is closely tied with every other action sport, including ones that Subaru sponsors, so it's not that hard to get in touch with the right people. Infact, the System Cycle/DK Bicycle Team Manager is sponsored by Monster, who partners with Subaru on a lot of fronts, so I imagined it wasn't hard for him to make that connect.

He's been promoting it everywhere he can, they goto different euro/exotic meets/shows all over Ohio, promote, handout flyers, doing as much marketing as reasonably possible.

The route isn't disclosed on the site, because that's the fun of it, is the mystery of where you're going. Some might be timid, but I'd rather it be that way. There's no telling how many cars are actually going to come, I mean the goal is 100, but is that going to happen? I'm not sure. I have a handful of car friends who've signed up, some VW mkv's signed up, I know of a few "richer" guys here in Cincy who've signed up. So, it'll definitely be fun regardless because just the 3 of us in our EVO's was fun as ****, I can't imagine 20, 30, 50 cars....

It's not that it's poorly planned, it's simply hard to get something like this going it's first year, it went from an idea, to an attempt, to a reality, and the first year is always going to be rough, but I'm going to be there shooting the event, having someone drive my EVO which will be the "media" mobile, and I'm just shooting it to have it documented, and make a good promo to send to sponsors for next year's. The idea, is for it to keep building, and become a major event in the midwest, and you gotta start somewhere. So I'm as involved as I can be with helping with my video skills, and just doing what I can for a friend.

So, as far as a scam goes, completely understandable to be fearful, but, I can easily say it's not, and I'd even tell you his address if you want to go hunt him down(just kidding).

And the point of the video's looking so "high-class" is to attract that kind of demographic, and kind of shy away any POS primered Hondas, because if you let just any car into the rally, then of course a 75k Porsche isn't going to come back next year knowing his car was almost rear ended by a CRX with rusted brake lines. So we're simply conveying the image of the cars they'd like to see, if that makes sense.

Like any thread on a forum of people ******* a company, it's always a good idea to email the company/individual first, Trevor & Jason can answer any question you'd like, and maybe provide insight to your inquiries rather than jumping to conclusions.

Or PM me if you'd like to, or meet us in person if you so desire.

Last edited by boostincincy; Aug 12, 2009 at 06:40 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2009 | 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

I contacted Trevor and he too doesn't give a lot of information. Other rallys have huge marketing that goes on for months, heck even years before an event.

Guess if there were more information available then we all might now be so sceptical. The event sounds like a blast.
Old Aug 13, 2009 | 04:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Appauldd
I contacted Trevor and he too doesn't give a lot of information. Other rallys have huge marketing that goes on for months, heck even years before an event.

Guess if there were more information available then we all might now be so sceptical. The event sounds like a blast.
You actually talked to the guy? What did he say?

It sounds like boostin thinks I was "*******" them, but I was just trying to figure out what the heck is going on. Information is sparse, and I was trying to figure out if the thing was legitimate and after I found it appeared to be, trying to figure out if it was worth attending.
Old Aug 13, 2009 | 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

We have just emailed back and forth a couple times. He assured me that this won't be a "ricer fest". I am still too skeptical.
Old Aug 13, 2009 | 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

Hell, I'll go, I have nothing planned.

Anyone want to be my co-driver? Coming in an Evo X, from Ohio. Can meet down there or what not. If it turns out to b a bust I'll just go home Toss me a PM if interested.
Old Aug 13, 2009 | 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

I finally installed the Tanabe GF210 springs....OMG these are awesome. The stance is perfect, the car rides smoother than stock, and best of all....handeling is vastly improved.

Having gone from stock, to s-tech, to JIC FLA2, to the tanabes....I honestly feel the tanabe springs are the best.

If only my camber plates would have fit.....GRRRRR. The pillow ball is 2mm too small. I need to pick up a drill bit and hog them out, put in some spacers...and BAM...adjustable camber....here I come.
Old Aug 15, 2009 | 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

SPOTTED a white, wingless evo with a JDM rear and VII tails heading North on 71/75 near Florece today.

Anyone know him. Car looked and sounded great.
Old Aug 19, 2009 | 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Timmy is going to be doing some installs here in a couple weeks. If anyone wants to come over, hang out/help out. You are all welcome. Clutch is going in as well as some cams and some other goodies he has sitting in his garage.

If we get a few guys to come over I will grill out. BYOB. If any of you need to do any installs....we can hook you up too. My garage is well outfitted.

I will keep everyone posted on the dates. It should be some time after the 5th.

Eli....get that diff in yet??
Old Aug 19, 2009 | 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Came out from work and found a GG X parked between my X and coworkers IX MR. Given the unlikeliness of it, I figured if it was someone here they'd probably check in. Anyone?
Old Aug 19, 2009 | 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Came out from work and found a GG X parked between my X and coworkers IX MR. Given the unlikeliness of it, I figured if it was someone here they'd probably check in. Anyone?
i have a gg evo x but it wasnt me
Old Aug 20, 2009 | 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd

Eli....get that diff in yet??
Not yet. I havent even started on it yet. I'm hoping to get a chance to start on it this weekend..
Old Aug 20, 2009 | 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by broeli
Not yet. I havent even started on it yet. I'm hoping to get a chance to start on it this weekend..
Did you get some extra shims from Mitsu?

Hey, I looked into the suspension thing we discussed before. I thought maybe the axles might be causing a bind in the front diff. This may not be the case, but it appears that you may, in fact, be too low for racing. I believe that when you launch the front hops a bit and trashes the diff.

A common rule is to have the lower suspension arms parallel to the ground as a starting point. Then raise or lower the rear a tad to adjust for under/over steer. Raise it to give the car some over steer and vice versa.

I am sure you already knew this....thought it might be helpful.
Old Aug 20, 2009 | 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fractur3
i have a gg evo x but it wasnt me
Yeah, it was completely stock as far as I could tell, so I knew it wasn't yours. I've seen it around the Tri-County area before. Once at the Steak and Shake, and once on the road.

Today there was a red Evo VIII or IX a few spots down. Lots of Evos around here lately.
Old Aug 20, 2009 | 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Yeah, it was completely stock as far as I could tell, so I knew it wasn't yours. I've seen it around the Tri-County area before. Once at the Steak and Shake, and once on the road.

Today there was a red Evo VIII or IX a few spots down. Lots of Evos around here lately.
where do you work?

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***