Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2009 | 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The damage to the unibody may cause this to be a total loss. It looks pretty tweeked. You can see the C pillar buckled and the seperation at the back door. That, if it is possible, is going to be a very costly repair. OUCH!

If you need to save a little $$ I have my stock WW rear bumper I would sell you on the cheap. I think Eli may have a trunk lid too. I know you want a JDM rear, but this repair may be very expensive so you may have to cut costs where you can.

Glad you are ok.
Old Oct 21, 2009 | 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Appauldd
The damage to the unibody may cause this to be a total loss. It looks pretty tweeked. You can see the C pillar buckled and the seperation at the back door. That, if it is possible, is going to be a very costly repair. OUCH!

If you need to save a little $$ I have my stock WW rear bumper I would sell you on the cheap. I think Eli may have a trunk lid too. I know you want a JDM rear, but this repair may be very expensive so you may have to cut costs where you can.

Glad you are ok.
thanks man, it's insane how much damage happened from such a low impact crash, but cars are designed to absorb the impact, so this is the result.

The adjuster concluded it's around $9700 of damage, and that's with a "Reconditioned" bumper that's at Keystone, and wheel. But he said the car's worth 21k so it's not totaled. So now to go to a few shops and talk to see who's going to be the best fit for me.

I'll let you know about that bumper though, since the estimate says $651 for the used one from keystone, but paint/labor's included in that so I'm not sure what the actual price of the bumper is. And what color is the trunk you're speaking of?
Old Oct 21, 2009 | 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

The trunk and bumper are weightless white. You would need to contact Eli to see if he still has the trunk lid.

If you are going to get a JDM rear, you can save a little because they come already painted. Gruppe-S usually has them in stock for 650 ish. You will either need to modify your rear crash beam, or remove it completly. You won't have rear side markers either so a couple bucks can be saved there. Your 7 tails might be costly because the body shop will order a brand new one. Gruppe-S has them all the time.

When you have them paint the car, tell them you want them to pull the door panels and paint inside the door edges. It will make for a cleaner appearance. Also, have them clear as much of the car as possible. The stock mitsu clear coat is thin....you will see a difference in bright sunlight by some panels shining more than others.

What you might consider is if your insurance company cuts you a check...have the body shop repair the major damage....you install your bumper yourself. Heck you might be able to source a carbon trunk if you play your cards right.....13 lbs of weigh savings...plus crash beam removal is another 20 lbs.

Don't forget too, that the metal support bracket on the top edge of the bumper has to be re-used on the JDM bumper. If it is damaged....a new one would be needed. Also, you will have to modify the license plate bracket. The body shop won't do this for you.
Old Oct 21, 2009 | 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately I sold the trunklid already. Personally I think one of the best bodyshops in the area is Wayne Partin Frame and Body. They are in Eastgate. I've taken my Evo to them twice now to have repairs done. Every time I've done it the detuctible was covered and I was able to get whatever aftermarket parts I wanted. On the latest fix I replaced the stock undertray with a Beatrush. The time before that I replaced the stock intercooler with a Buschur.
Here is their info if you want it...they are great working with insurance too:
1120 Old St Rt 74
752-6747
If you go there tell Wayne that Eli sent you
Old Oct 21, 2009 | 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

BTW, I would recommend not just getting a check cut by your insurance. Especially with that amount of damage. There may be some hidden costs..as there was with mine. Mine turned out to be about 1k over the estimate which was all covered by my insurance because Wayne was dealing with them directly. He replaced every single part that had even a little tiny scuff

Oh yeah and he gave me all my used parts that were barely damaged..like my headlight which had a tiny mark on it. I turned around and sold all of the parts he gave me on Evom.
Old Oct 21, 2009 | 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Good info there Eli. I was wondering how you got that shiny undertray.

Did you get your front diff fixed?
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

thanks a lot for that info man, very helpful.

I went and checked out Schottmillers yesterday, and met the Manager Andy. I was very happy after talking with him for a while, because he like you're explaining was hip to aftermarket stuff, and just said to show him what I wanted and he'd get it ordered. And he's going to try and find a way to replace my cracked front lip too, so she'll be good as new :-)

The battle is going to be with my exhaust, since the adjuster said they might only be able to cover for a stock exhaust even though mine's Perrin ($900). All it needs really is a new muffler, but I'd still like to get as much of it replaced as I can.
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Good info there Eli. I was wondering how you got that shiny undertray.

Did you get your front diff fixed?
Yeah I hit some road kill a while back and it tore up my undertray and the lower part of the front bumper was cracked and the lip pulled off on one corner a little. They put on a new bumper cover, lip, and undertray. My intercooler had a real small ding on the backside from contacting the towhook also..but I decided to take the cash instead of having them replace it too

Yep, I've had the Quaife in and back together for a while. So far so good

Last edited by broeli; Oct 22, 2009 at 08:19 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2009 | 08:37 PM
Evolving Member

What is that supposed to mean? ? Are you wanting to sell something ? ?
nope, i just wanted to post on someones thread that i PM'd them.

it takes 10 minutes for the server t refresh. thats why it wasn't working correctly.
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

On my way to work 11am a silver wingless 8 passed me on Columbia parkway think it might have been nick. It hard blacked out headlights and bronze wheels.
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

We are having a halloween party at my house tomorrow night 8pm at my house in Taylor Mill KY. Any and all are welcome. Costumes are encouraged. Come enjoy the 4 foot ice block shots. Bring your shot of choice. I guarantee you will love the block.

Don't worry about bad weather, we have an enclosed back patio.

PM me for my address.
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 02:27 PM

get a set of either jdm MR tails, or make sure to get another set of VII tails (company will simply get you another set of US IX tails). buy most of the parts yourself and take them to the company your using.... you will save a ton of money... i recommend jeff wyler honda in forence. they did everything perfect for me when i had a minor tap with a wrx.

glad your ok, and best of luck with the situation

Originally Posted by boostincincy
thanks man, it's insane how much damage happened from such a low impact crash, but cars are designed to absorb the impact, so this is the result.

The adjuster concluded it's around $9700 of damage, and that's with a "Reconditioned" bumper that's at Keystone, and wheel. But he said the car's worth 21k so it's not totaled. So now to go to a few shops and talk to see who's going to be the best fit for me.

I'll let you know about that bumper though, since the estimate says $651 for the used one from keystone, but paint/labor's included in that so I'm not sure what the actual price of the bumper is. And what color is the trunk you're speaking of?
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 02:37 PM

anyone else going to bluegrass on saturday? i'll be there with my buddy and his 06 STi
Old Oct 23, 2009 | 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

thanks man. I'm having Schottmiller's do the work, and he's taking care of getting me a new VII tail, and JDM IX rear, so I'm psyched. They seem to be a good group of people.

I just moved to Brooklyn yesterday, so my car was going to sit in the garage anyway, but now it'll sit in the shop being made perfect again, and in a few months when I possibly return, she'll be all better again.

Can't wait for Bluegrass to be done next year hopefully. I got to go out on the track once (staying under 70 mph on the straights) and it seemed like it'll be a lot of fun.
Old Oct 25, 2009 | 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo loco
On my way to work 11am a silver wingless 8 passed me on Columbia parkway think it might have been nick. It hard blacked out headlights and bronze wheels.
Yeah I was on my way to pick up my daughter from pre school. I knew it was you, but my tint is a little dark so I didn't think you would see me wave.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***