Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2010 | 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, they told me they talked to Wheel Doctor and that Wheel Doctor doesn't want to touch the wheels. I can't say if that's accurate now or not. We talked briefly by email last week and they didn't say anything like that, but that was before the shop talked to them.

The center caps cover the chipping on 3 of the 4 wheels, but it sticks out on the fourth. There were some pretty large chunks out of the lug area, they weren't just scratches. I've seen impact wrench damage and that's exactly what it looks like, but they claim to not use impact wrenches on wheels so I don't know what else could have caused that damage. In any case, the damage around the lugs is on the corner of the actual face of the wheel, so there's no way to hide it... even if I were to buy extended lugs they wouldn't come close to reaching.

I think it's the lug damage that shows that they just weren't very careful with them. If it was only the hubs, maybe the "the machine damaged it despite our best efforts" story would hold, but it's not. I'm prepared for normal wear and tear, but installation damage of this magnitude is not really acceptable... as you yourself said earlier in the thread.

And I have been perfectly reasonable. I never raised my voice or demanded anything. If you recall, at one point I simply asked them to refund the service fee they charged, which they declined in favor of repair. When I called today I literally got shouted at.

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
If they are not confident about doing their job correctly, they should not offer the service. when it comes to putting lugs on they should have SLIM sockets or rubber coated ones for wheels. VERY unprofessional of them. Time to throw them under the bus, who were they again SO I DONT GO THERE ?
The crap of it is, I provided the rubberized slim sockets. I made it as easy as possible to not damage the lug area. In fact, the sockets themselves came back with their rubberized coating damaged. Admittedly it was simply Plasti-Dip, but you'd have to hit it pretty hard to scrape that off. I use that stuff on a floor jack plate where it holds up to the entire weight of my car!

I'm not sure I want to say the shop name, yet. If anyone's thinking about getting wheels mounted PM me and I'll tell you so you don't have to go through this, but otherwise I'm not ready to say publicly. Trying to be a good customer hasn't worked for me this far, but I'm going to stick to it.

Last edited by gizmotoy; Aug 4, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2010 | 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gizmotoy
Well, they told me they talked to Wheel Doctor and that Wheel Doctor doesn't want to touch the wheels. I can't say if that's accurate now or not. We talked briefly by email last week and they didn't say anything like that, but that was before the shop talked to them.

The center caps cover the chipping on 3 of the 4 wheels, but it sticks out on the fourth. There were some pretty large chunks out of the lug area, they weren't just scratches. I've seen impact wrench damage and that's exactly what it looks like, but they claim to not use impact wrenches on wheels so I don't know what else could have caused that damage. In any case, the damage around the lugs is on the corner of the actual face of the wheel, so there's no way to hide it... even if I were to buy extended lugs they wouldn't come close to reaching.

I think it's the lug damage that shows that they just weren't very careful with them. If it was only the hubs, maybe the "the machine damaged it despite our best efforts" story would hold, but it's not. I'm prepared for normal wear and tear, but installation damage of this magnitude is not really acceptable... as you yourself said earlier in the thread.

And I have been perfectly reasonable. I never raised my voice or demanded anything. If you recall, at one point I simply asked them to refund the service fee they charged, which they declined in favor of repair. When I called today I literally got shouted at.

The crap of it is, I provided the rubberized slim sockets. I made it as easy as possible to not damage the lug area. In fact, the sockets themselves came back with their rubberized coating damaged. Admittedly it was simply Plasti-Dip, but you'd have to hit it pretty hard to scrape that off. I use that stuff on a floor jack plate where it holds up to the entire weight of my car!

I'm not sure I want to say the shop name, yet. If anyone's thinking about getting wheels mounted PM me and I'll tell you so you don't have to go through this, but otherwise I'm not ready to say publicly. Trying to be a good customer hasn't worked for me this far, but I'm going to stick to it.

sounds to me like the guy asked to use extreme caution, decided to use the air gun to take them on and off, and while doing so just jammed the socket into the lug area hitting the wheel, or when taking the wheel off let it hang on the lug area a well.

You have a strong case there buddy, dont let them get one over on you.

ESPECIALLY since they wont even refund the service/labor... If they met you half way even, I would stand differently.
Old Aug 4, 2010 | 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gizmotoy

does it rhyme with performance alignment?
Old Aug 4, 2010 | 08:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
sounds to me like the guy asked to use extreme caution, decided to use the air gun to take them on and off, and while doing so just jammed the socket into the lug area hitting the wheel, or when taking the wheel off let it hang on the lug area a well.

You have a strong case there buddy, dont let them get one over on you.

ESPECIALLY since they wont even refund the service/labor... If they met you half way even, I would stand differently.
I heard the impact wrench while I was in there, but they had a few other cars in at the same time so I can't be certain it was on my car. It looks like a "I already messed the wheels up, so there's no reason to be careful with them at this point" kind of damage.

I do have a 6 minute full HD video of a flawless set of wheels taken just prior to taking them in for mounting, and a bunch of pictures of the damage taken in a parking lot a block down the street minutes after I got the car back... both time and GPS tagged (iPhones are great).

My evidence is good. I just need to figure out if I should let it go, or take it further. After the tongue thrashing I got this afternoon, I'm leaning towards further, but I'm going to take a cool-off period and re-evaluate in a few days. I'm still too mad to make a clear decision.
Old Aug 5, 2010 | 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this better????
Old Aug 5, 2010 | 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd

Is this better????
Nice dude!
Old Aug 5, 2010 | 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Is this better????
much, 10x better in fact. Its way more eye catching than the last one. I just think its still to long, if that makes any sense? try stacking the performance underneath it maybe? Idk keep playing with it, its getting there.
Old Aug 5, 2010 | 08:26 PM
Evolving Member

tune

Anyone around here have any experience doing a road tune on an X? I have the accessport for now but have pretty much maxed out the OTS maps.
Old Aug 6, 2010 | 11:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turpdogg
Anyone around here have any experience doing a road tune on an X? I have the accessport for now but have pretty much maxed out the OTS maps.
Check with Paul, (Appauldd). He probably has. I dont have any experience with a X yet but I have an tactrix 2.0. I can take a look at it if Paul isnt able to. Either way we should be able to help you out!

Is this better????
I do like it more than the last!
Old Aug 6, 2010 | 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

I have not heard anything about the meet for this sunday... So it looks like im sitting home watching some football... It was worth a try though
Old Aug 6, 2010 | 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought the meet was set for 7pm on Sunday???

Brad....I would need a 2.0 cable to flash an X. Go ahead and knock it out.
Old Aug 6, 2010 | 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

What meet.

Do the jawbreaker! It's FREE!
Old Aug 6, 2010 | 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

I thought the meet was set for 7pm on Sunday???

Brad....I would need a 2.0 cable to flash an X. Go ahead and knock it out.
You're welcome to use mine any time you need it. I did manage to break it today so ill have to wait until its fixed.

Eric, I was planning on meeting up.
Old Aug 7, 2010 | 12:31 AM

Sup guys, just got my Evo x maybe 5 months ago. I think i'm having some drivetrain issues. Any of the dealerships around here better to work with then others? Im hoping to have the warranty cover it. Any trany shops around know much bout Evos. Car just started to make nasty vib/rattle/grind noise when you let off gas. Stops when you press on clutch. All stock around 22,000 miles. Think stock clutch. Fluids are good. Car does whine a lil, think they all do. Don't think its the death whine.
Old Aug 7, 2010 | 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel_touge
What meet.

Do the jawbreaker! It's FREE!
Jawbreaker was $250.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***