Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2011 | 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There there is always the issue that you may rub. But the more tire you have on the road, the more grip you (should) have. And like Paul said. You can modify your fenders.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

I had 275/30 on it before but it rode terribly. The rears are rolled and pulled, they could fit easily. The fronts however, I was thinking about the seibon +10mm fenders (paint matched of course) so I wouldn't have to run crazy amounts of negative camber.
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah the backs should be fine then. I dont know to much about those fenders. But I would say you'd be alright. I'd say go for the big ones lol
Old Jan 25, 2011 | 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The lower aspect ration will cause a rougher ride. Less sidewall is good for less flex, but your back side will feel every bump. Not to mention that the crappy Cincy roads could play havoc on your pretty wheels if your tires have very low aspect ratios.

The ultiamate goal of tires, in my opinion, is to go as wide as you can and then have an aspect ratio that puts the over all tire diameter as close to stock as possible. Search for any tire size calculator and you can easily determine what tire size is optimal.

Another thing to consider is the weight of the tire. As you go wider you will gain more weight. More tire weight affects acceleration, albeit slight. Removal of rotational mass is far more effective than removing mass from the car itself.

Last edited by Appauldd; Jan 25, 2011 at 09:26 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Paul, you make me feel stupid. But I'm getting there
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Steven....I have more years turning wrenches than you have alive man. Some things will come with experience. No need to feel stupid.
Old Jan 26, 2011 | 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Steven....I have more years turning wrenches than you have alive man. Some things will come with experience. No need to feel stupid.
Ha your not that old. Well I wouldn't have guessed it. I have learned quite a bit from you though too.
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Paul I just got an awesome idea!! You should let me rock your stock VIII wheels for my summer wheels!! Instead of me spending some ridiculous amount of money on better lookin wheels lol. How bout that??
Old Jan 27, 2011 | 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMSevo8man
Paul, you make me feel stupid. But I'm getting there
Never feel stupid regardless of who you talk to or any question you have to ask. It takes years of experience to gain the knowledge that mechanics like Paul have. Pick their brain, ask questions, and absorb everything they have to say. You'll be there with time!
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevolution8
Never feel stupid regardless of who you talk to or any question you have to ask. It takes years of experience to gain the knowledge that mechanics like Paul have. Pick their brain, ask questions, and absorb everything they have to say. You'll be there with time!
Everytime I'm around him I pick his brain and try and learn more. I seem to learn more from him and more from working in the dealership than I do from school.
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 05:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMSevo8man
Everytime I'm around him I pick his brain and try and learn more. I seem to learn more from him and more from working in the dealership than I do from school.
Quite honestly thats the best way to learn. Hands on from work and talking to the guys that have done it for years. The teachers are smart people, but the classes are too short so they have to cram the "basics" into a semester.

I worked full-time while taking night classes to finish my auto degree and it took me 6 years (took a few semesters off) to finish a 2 year program. By the last couple years I had learned so much working that going to class was almost a joke, and I was teaching other students tricks they wouldnt learn in class. But I wanted something to show for my time there so I finished and got my Associates Degree. Funny that after that much time and knowledge, I still feel like ive barely touched the surface of all the information out there.
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

Does any one have an extra stcok evo 8 center,I broke one and would like to replace it. cheapest I could find was $28. online Thanks Timmy
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 03:42 PM

Hey what are your guy's thoughts on the 400s upgrade package from Cobb Tuning? I was thinking about getting this for my car, but this is a daily driver. How much do you think it would cost me to have this installed? Is there another set up that would be cheaper or safer. Would doing something like this kill the gas millage? Wonder if TIC can install the cams. Haha sorry for all the Questions
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blackevolution8
Quite honestly thats the best way to learn. Hands on from work and talking to the guys that have done it for years. The teachers are smart people, but the classes are too short so they have to cram the "basics" into a semester.

I worked full-time while taking night classes to finish my auto degree and it took me 6 years (took a few semesters off) to finish a 2 year program. By the last couple years I had learned so much working that going to class was almost a joke, and I was teaching other students tricks they wouldnt learn in class. But I wanted something to show for my time there so I finished and got my Associates Degree. Funny that after that much time and knowledge, I still feel like ive barely touched the surface of all the information out there.
I know there is always more to learn, and that I'm never going to know it all. And probably no where near as much as I would like to know. But I sure try to listen and gain as much info as I can from everyone I can
Old Jan 28, 2011 | 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crashway2many
Hey what are your guy's thoughts on the 400s upgrade package from Cobb Tuning? I was thinking about getting this for my car, but this is a daily driver. How much do you think it would cost me to have this installed? Is there another set up that would be cheaper or safer. Would doing something like this kill the gas millage? Wonder if TIC can install the cams. Haha sorry for all the Questions
Call Clint on Monday and he can give you a breakdown on cost to have the entire kit installed or just the cams. Im not familiar with the kit, but its sounds like a nice one. FP makes great turbos. Im sure that car would be a blast as a daily driver with that kind of power and torque. I like that it comes with a tune so you never have to see a dyno, but from those of us that have tuned, every car is different as well as temperature, elevation, etc. You wont get your full potential unless its custom tuned.

Not to hate against Cobb at all, but maybe look into other companies like AMS or Buschur. Companies that are built around mostly mitsus. Just keep your options open is all.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***