Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2006 | 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am definately going to make it tomorrow to wright state. any suggestions or tips as this will be my first time. in particular what equipment, tools, accessories you found useful/necessary? any input would be appreciated.
Old Jun 24, 2006 | 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Jason, good job for your first day out there! I don't know about you but I'm red all over my body. That sun was intense!
Old Jun 24, 2006 | 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

thanks again curtis for all your help and advise. it sure was fun out there and it is definately addicting! now, i am going to do some more research on autox and just get more driving time. for those that have not autox'd, man are you missing out on some great fun!
Old Jun 24, 2006 | 10:44 PM

Hello comrads,
I just moved into dayton (kettering to be exact) last week. I already need a mechanic cuz my idle went whack. any suggestions for a place familiar with evolutions, SAFCs, cams, and the like? Excited to meet y'all soon. Too bad i missed the autox. If you see a white Evo8 on dorothy lane, it's probably me!
Andrew
Old Jun 25, 2006 | 05:44 PM
Evolving Member

no real great shops around here, best bet, is to ask one of the guys on here. Most tuning knowledge that I know of on an evo in cincy is Greg, 99gnt.
Old Jun 25, 2006 | 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
no real great shops around here, best bet, is to ask one of the guys on here. Most tuning knowledge that I know of on an evo in cincy is Greg, 99gnt.

Wooo, I'm e-famous now! What exactly is the problem IIII? On another note, I didn't get the tranny out today, although it's damn close. One motor mount bolt, one electrical connector, and the tranny bolts are all that's left. Hopefully I can get it wrapped up this week - recharging the a/c in the Talon only worked for a few hours.
Old Jun 25, 2006 | 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

haha e famous

you just replacing the clutch? or is there other projects aswell??? I'm dreading when its time to do mine. Miss the old civic set ups. Man those cars were cake to work on!!
Old Jun 25, 2006 | 11:12 PM

My idle usually is half smooth and half pairing since putting in the 272 cams. Usually it's around 800 rpms. But the other day, it started sputtering when it idles at 700-800 rpms, and so the car brings up the rpm to 1500 by itself whenever it's about to konk, which is about every 10 seconds or so. The car runs alright once it gets going, but i've been taking it easy. A look under the hood showed nothing obviously disconnected or whatnot. It'll also bring up the idle sometimes when i release the throttle and coast against the engine, causing a lurching. There's also new, small sounds that freak me out. I'm depressed, fearing something bad is afoot. I had a SAFC put in a couple weeks ago before i moved out here, had it tuned up on a dyno, but I know NOTHING about how to operate that thing, but i want to learn.
Anyways, i think i'll take it to the dealer by the dayton mall. I don't want to risk a drive to cinci.
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 05:08 AM
Evolved Member

The dealer likely won't help you any. What are your mods? Does it accelerate ok? Without adjusting timing or having a flash to compensate for the 272's, the idle will suck - nothing to be alarmed about - but it will give you fits. Mine sounds like an old cammed v8. SAFC's are pretty simple, but unless you have a wideband o2 sensor to monitor any changes, I wouldn't go messing with it too much.

B, I am replacing the clutch disks, pull clip, and TOB, putting in rear motor mount inserts, and replacing the throttle body IC coupler. I ordered my autopower rollbar, and will be ordering the harnesses this week. I also have new race pads and new street pads on the way.
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

nice! let me know what pads you get, I'll be looking in to getting some better pads down the road. Autopower cage eh? bolt in?? My buddy was going to put one in his crx until he found it added like 200lbs to the car. I think they make more then one kind though.
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 06:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
As for that idle problem, there is an adle adjustment hole on the top back side of the throttle body. Simply find the right size screw driver, start the car and turn up the idle. It isn't the best way to adjust it (get a flash like Greg said) but at least it won't nearly die on you all the time.

Greg, I wish I were home to help you on that tranny. We could have finished it in no time.

To all, I will be coming home for 8 days on the 1st of July. It will be the last opportunity to see any of you before I get to go play in the worlds largest cat box.
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CarFanatic
nice! let me know what pads you get, I'll be looking in to getting some better pads down the road. Autopower cage eh? bolt in?? My buddy was going to put one in his crx until he found it added like 200lbs to the car. I think they make more then one kind though.
I'm going to try the Hawk HP+ on the street and PFC-01's on the track. I did go with the bolt in 4 point rollbar, so I could remove it later if needed. After spending several hours with a local cage builder, there are a couple of small things I'll do that make identical to a weld in cage, minus the welding of course. The Evo 'race' rollbar weighs only around 60 pounds.

Paul, everthing has gone pretty smoothly so far. I probably have a total of 3 hours in it by myself and I'm likely about 15 minutes from being ready to drop the tranny. Practice makes perfect... I even improvised my own method of removing the stub shafts since I don't own a slide hammer. It's a secret though.
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 12:31 PM
Evolving Member

stub shafts?
Old Jun 26, 2006 | 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

rookie.

Old Jun 26, 2006 | 01:58 PM
Evolving Member

haha not fair!! seriously wtf are stub shafts??

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***