Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2006 | 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The T-Case can come out without dropping the tranny. But you will have to drop the sub frame to get the t-case out. You may need an engine hoise to support the engine and tranny while you pull out the T-case. The diff can be swapped rather easily though. No need to drop anything except the axles and half shafts. Pop off the cover from the t-case on the passenger side and voila...there is the diff.

Based on youy damage, I think it is the axle too. Maybe try the local junk yards. There is a vew wrecked evos in them somewhere. HAHA Carters old car would have good axles if you can find what yard it's in. No hard feelings Carter.
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nah, i got my new car I'll contact the insurance company to see if there are any parts of it left.
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

The guy with the LSD also has axles, so I might be in luck picking up the parts I need for a good price. I HOPE it doesn't turn out to be more. Looks like $600 will get me the lsd and axles if I need them. Not too bad.
I'll be starting on it after the football game. I got it in the garage on jack stands though, and the garage heated up to a nice 65-70 degrees .
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

FOr some reason i am having this grumbling noise coming from the drivetrain when i take tight turns at low speeds. I have thought that it's the rear diff but i don't know for sure. Anybody else have this?
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Nah I haven't heard of that issue, Chris. That's a bummer. I know that Brendan had a horrible noise in his car but that turned out to be the casting of his tranny!!
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Well it's not an axle. There were no significant metal shavings in the t-case. The tranny plug was covered with shavings and the fluid had a silvery cloud to it, but there were no big pieces. I'll be calling Shep in the morning to diagnose further
Old Oct 22, 2006 | 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Man that sucks. Call TRE as well, that's who built my DSM tranny. I couldn't be happier with the work or the service.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

The concensus from Jon at TRE and another Evom guru is that it is a broken front diff. I'll be taking apart the transfer case today...or at least the output shaft, tcase cover, and open diff out.
I have a used RS lsd on the way.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Did Jon at TRE keep you on the phone for about an hour longer than you expected? That guy likes to talk.

That certainly sounds better than a fubared tranny.
Old Oct 23, 2006 | 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

No, I couldn't get Jon or Shep by phone so I emailed Jon at TRE. He was quick to answer all my questions though. I think we exchanged 5 emails within 1/2 hour time. TRE seems a little easier to get in contact with. I left a message for Shep and never got a call back
Thumbs up to Jon at TRE.
As long as it turns out to be JUST the diff I'll be VERY happy. I was planning on swapping in an lsd this winter anyway. This just made me get on the ball and do it quickly. If this hadn't happened spring probably would've rolled around, and I'd be dreaming of the lsd that I should've put in over the winter once again
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah don't get Jon on the phone unless you have a good hour to waste. I talked to TRE and Shep on the phone before I made my decision and I was very pleased with the work that TRE did. Not that you will need any work hopefully.
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

So who builds the better tranny....TRE or SHEP?
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 07:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
So who builds the better tranny....TRE or SHEP?
It's like Ford or Chevy, whichever you prefer for whatever reasons matter most to you.
Old Oct 24, 2006 | 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

The reason I ask is becuase I have a 4th and 5th grind at high rpm. While I am gone to the land of sand I am having a friend pull the tranny. I am just trying to figure out where to send it for the rebuild. Both companies look to be great.
Old Oct 25, 2006 | 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

I went with TRE because I felt more comfortable going with them after speaking with both Shep and Jon on the phone. I'm sure they both build a quality tranny. Call them both and see what you think, or email them both. Ask them exactly what they do and see what you think.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***