Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2007 | 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the GSC's (272/264) and most of you know how my car pulls, Eli has the BC's and likes them a lot. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them, although I don't know anything about the Helix cams.
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

man... I guess I need some cams....
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 06:36 AM
Evolving Member

the helix cams are hollow like the stock cams
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

I gathered that from your description, that doesn't affect how well they work or don't work though. Being hollow will allow you a little more headroom with respect to rev limit since there is less rotating mass in the valvetrain. I only have hands on experience with the GSC's and BC's, and found them to be very similar in their power delivery. The BC's do idle nicer than the GSC's right out of the box however.
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

i decided to go with brian Crower 272s
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 12:45 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by Kronik
OK, how much money are you talking about for the HKS's??
PM sent.
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

Pete what are you running Now?

Hollow camshafts is just a marketing ploy. i can't think of how much of a difference there could. Just go with the best deal
Old Feb 2, 2007 | 05:59 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
Pete what are you running Now?

Hollow camshafts is just a marketing ploy. i can't think of how much of a difference there could. Just go with the best deal
The car is going up to Dave next week. Pulling the HKS and running his special blend.
Old Feb 3, 2007 | 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 992gnt
Being hollow will allow you a little more headroom with respect to rev limit since there is less rotating mass in the valvetrain.
This is actually incorrect, removing mass from the center has little effect on rotational inertia. To reduce rotational inertia you must remove mass as far from the center as possible. Take a look at a ACT streetlite flywheel, it weighs the same as stock, but the mass is concentrated closer to the center than the stock flywheel. If you look at it you can actually see holes around the outside of the flywheel. Same weight as stock but it will rev much faster.

The only advantage of a hollow cam would be the weight savings vs a solid cam, which is probably not much.

Congrats on the cam purchase.
Old Feb 8, 2007 | 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Speaking of cams....I am getting the Revolvers.....yeah baby! High lift here I come...These seem to be the hot ticket for smaller turbos and openend up intake and exhausts. They also, because of the lift, usually create a lot more torque and reduce spool time. Perfect for AutoX. Gotta love getting good deals on parts in EvoM.

I sure miss you guys. I miss racing so much that I broke down and bought an 1/8th scale RC truck and we race nearly every night. It's pretty fun. My truck was clocked by the MPs here going 46MPH. Not bad for a toy I guess. Heck at least I am racing.
Old Feb 9, 2007 | 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

oooo what 1/8th scarle car you get? nitro powered?
Old Feb 9, 2007 | 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Appauldd
Speaking of cams....I am getting the Revolvers.....yeah baby! High lift here I come...These seem to be the hot ticket for smaller turbos and openend up intake and exhausts. They also, because of the lift, usually create a lot more torque and reduce spool time. Perfect for AutoX. Gotta love getting good deals on parts in EvoM.

I sure miss you guys. I miss racing so much that I broke down and bought an 1/8th scale RC truck and we race nearly every night. It's pretty fun. My truck was clocked by the MPs here going 46MPH. Not bad for a toy I guess. Heck at least I am racing.
You'll need to get better springs/retainers also. The Revolvers seem to be a pretty common choice for some of the top SM Evo's. The spool and torque with my Evo running the Brian Crower 272's is pretty good also. No doubt the Revolvers will be better..but there is a big difference in cost, especially considering you have to also buy springs/retainers.
You might as well have the head worked over when it's off to REALLY take advantage of the full potential of those cams.
Old Feb 9, 2007 | 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Aren't revolvers pretty hard to come by? I thought I read a post from Buschur saying he hasn't been able to get any revolver cams for months...
Old Feb 9, 2007 | 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I got my BC 272" today , anyone using adjustable cam gears
Old Feb 9, 2007 | 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

I installed my BC's straight up with the stock cam gears. They seem to be perfect. Good idle and power.

The Revolvers were hard to come by for a while. Now Buschur has several sets and so do several others. I think they were just slow to produce them there for a while.

Quick Reply: ***Official SW Ohio Chat Thread***