Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Identity Theft!! All Money Lost!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i will def. listen to boyd, i reall appreciate it again, thanks a lot boyd
Old Jun 17, 2005, 08:43 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GTSMWET
.... the last two epople i ordered from in about 3 months or better, other than ebay, but their secure enough where i shoulldn't have to worry should i?
First off, sorry to hear about your trouble --- that really sucks. Second, it sounds like you're assuming the crooks got your card info off of an insecure website.

That might not be the case. If you download a lot form the internet, your computer might be infected with a trojec/keylogger/etc. To check, make sure you have an up to date antivirus program or do this online scan (PandaActiveScan). Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a spyware scan -- this one is free and good (SpyBot S&D).

Good luck man!!

Last edited by CGs; Jun 17, 2005 at 09:09 AM. Reason: added link
Old Jun 17, 2005, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man Really sorry to hear about your luck. Im glad I read this because Im about to do a 1400 dollar purchase from Lancershop and Im glad I read this first just to take extra measures in not letting my information be leaked out. Im glad to see that your bank is helping you out with this and is even reimbursing(sp?) you for the problems that happen. Hope everything works out for the best. Good Luck and thanks for changing my perspective on online shopping because I am/was just like you and didn't think it could happen to me.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Stuff like this happens more often than people think, I got a call once early in the morning, my credit card company asked if I booked a hotel room in France... Most banks/credit card companys offer account protection services, it's only a few bucks per month/year, it's not a bad thing to get.

Also run a virus/trojan scan on your computer, you can find free copies of virus scan easily. If you find anything suspecious, look online for a way to remove them from your computer, comes to the worst just do a reformat on the harddrive. If you don't already have a firewall, get one, or just get a hardware firewall ( i.e. router, etc. ).
Old Jun 17, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Ya, like CGs said, viruses and spyware could also be a cause, most likely spyware. Download yourself a copy of Microsoft Anti-Spyware (free--best rated, works best for me also) and get an antivirus program if you don't already have one. I found that Norton works the best. After you make orders online, especially from un-secure sites, make sure you clear out your cookies and forms, and auto-complete. That can be accessed from Tools-->Internet Options-->Content-->Auto Complete (then click on clear forms and clear passwords), and from Tools-->Internet Options-->General (then click on delete files, delete cookies, clear history). What spyware does is it takes your credit card number or passwords from those locations and sends them off to other companies or the creator of the spyware so they can steal your credit card number/identity. You have to be careful online now-a-days. I use firefox, it is a little more secure than Internet Explorer, but soon I'll switch over to IE7, when microsoft releases it. Also like chronozon said, the firewall is a good idea. On my system alone this is how my configuration goes.. Cable Modem --> IP Telephone Box (built-in firewall) ---> Linksys Wireless-G Router (built in firewall--WEP wireless) --> My PCs (software firewall in windows xp). So far I haven't had any successful attacks against me. Security is number 1, especially with money. I'd rather have someone wipe out my hard drive than get my money.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolving Member

When i use the internet, i pretty much use it at work, and they have a firewall, and the latest version of Norton, and they also have been doing updates recently, i said this before, but i really appreciate all the help and info from everyone, you have all been great!! my bank has recently given me back all of it except for about 350.00, but that was a transaction that was on hold, from inland craft, and my bank said maybe monday or tuesday b4 i see that, but my bank said i would see it though, but my account is still frozen though and everything is changed, im going to be calling companies when ever possible, to place orders, keep up the good info, and again THANK YOU!!!!
Old Jun 17, 2005, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear about it, but A does not lead to B all the time.

Your ID could have been stolen a long time ago and stored. Finally, another thief in Indonesia bought your ID from the original thief of your ID and purchased the items on your account. So basically....you def have to be careful with all your purchases, and moreover, it cannot be deducted to 1:1...cause and effect...ordered online thru Buschur ---> ID theft.

Have you also scanned your computer for viruses...?
Plus if you order over the phone, your cell phone and wireless house phones can also be intercepted and recorded.
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

hell no! that sucks big time! sorry to hear 'bout it..
Old Jun 17, 2005, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah I got my credit card info stolen when I used Ebay WITH Paypal.

The ****ers bought jewelry too but they traced it back to somewhere in ****ing Africa. All in all used the remaining $750.00 on my balance to max my card out. But I had a Capitol One card and got lucky as hell and they cancelled the payment. Which I got super lucky on because they placed the order on a Friday and it wasn't going to ship until Monday.

So hence the cancelled payment, the package never shipped. This took me all of two days to resolve. Paid it off, cancelled it, and now never order with any cards, especially debit, on the internet.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

thats good that everything worked out for you. i have also just heard that mastercard, got a virus and some 400,000 numbers got stolen or lost, so this happened to alll them people. but i guess that no identities were stolen, just account and credit card numberes, man does this blow. but i am doing better with all the finances now
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

i dont find any reason why buschur and lancershop have anything to do with this. they have a secure site, with SSL, you can see that the order page is "https", s meaning secure... those are secure sites...
Old Jun 18, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boyd494

do NOT use debit transactions on the internet. as you unfortunately found out the hard way, it places you in an extremely vulnerable position. the beauty of a credit card is you can immediately dispute the charges, and do not suffer a loss of funds.

use a credit card company that does two things - 1. monitors your spending and calls you immediately upon noticing any "irregular spending habits" and 2. provides you with a way to use "temporary" credit card numbers online.

i use mbna, and they have a program call shop safe. it allows you to generate a temporary credit card number that is only active as long as you set it and for a specified dollar amount.

james
this is good advice. I do the same thing with all citibank credit cards let you generate temp. one time use credit card numbers and let you set a $ limit to that number. I only use this when buying online and no problems yet.

Hope everything works out...
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddubb
this is good advice. I do the same thing with all citibank credit cards let you generate temp. one time use credit card numbers and let you set a $ limit to that number. I only use this when buying online and no problems yet.

Hope everything works out...
That sounds like a good deal. I paid off the Capitol One and destroyed it because of that incident. I might have to look into one of those.
Old Jun 18, 2005, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks man. i check my account online everyday to make sure nothing funny is going. i just got a charge for 21.64 from 24 hour fitness in CA and the fact that i live in is kinda funny. i called my bank and its taken care of. but as for keyloggers, they can get u if its on the comp. what i do is just have my credit card number on a text file and just copy and paste when i need to pay anything online. its safer that way and if u want a good browser w/o the junks then get mozilla. this works wonders. good luck on getting ur money. id sue the jewelry store for being stupid and get the money back from them instead of the bank.

Quick Reply: Identity Theft!! All Money Lost!!!