Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Anyone near Olathe, KS?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run all-season, because we get minimal snow, i don't believe full winter/snow tires are required. I put them on when the temps starts going below 40-50 degree in the day time, usually around november.

It depends on your tune on how much the cold will effect your pefromance. I run the Works T1R flash and i can see boost spikes in the lower gears in the extreme cold.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhh I see. Cool!

I just have an SAFC-II but will definately need to have someone retune me- right now I have no way to log or see my AFR's. I'd like to have a flash and the SAFC-II on top for aditional tuning.

Since we'll be moving to a new state I think they'll need to inspect my car (emissions) for it to be registered. So it's likely I'll need to put the stock DP and cat back on.
Old Jul 22, 2006, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think they do emissions testing here in Kansas. They do preform a visual inspection of the turn signals, horn, lights, etc.
Old Jul 24, 2006, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by smp3000
Ahhh I see. Cool!

I just have an SAFC-II but will definately need to have someone retune me- right now I have no way to log or see my AFR's. I'd like to have a flash and the SAFC-II on top for aditional tuning.

Since we'll be moving to a new state I think they'll need to inspect my car (emissions) for it to be registered. So it's likely I'll need to put the stock DP and cat back on.
Sir, if you do anything just put your stock cat on. I think you'll be fine otherwise, even with a visual inspection. But I'd bet that at the most they'll do an OBD-II scan (as well as test the things Compjoc said) and you either pass or fail based on that. I'd check out the Kansas DOT to see what they require before you do anything.

Ahah, and sir, I just remembered since your car got registered as a LANCER, I bet they'll correct that when you re-register in Kansas. lol
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:40 AM

As long as you move to the kansas side and not the missouri side, you wont have to wory about any type of emission test. Your downpipe will be just fine. The cat, If they do anything, they will do a visual inspection, but I dont think they will. I would leave all what you have on and try it first. If not then put the old cat back on just for the inspection. but kansas doesn't do any type of inspection on vehicles ever, unless you buy a car out of state, or the car was previsously registered out of state and needs to be registered in kansas.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 09:59 AM
Evolved Member

:\ well that's the problem.. This car was bought and is registered in AZ... So there will have to be some sort of inspection that that KS can register the car. I may try to just show up with no cat and see what happens. But I also may just have the cat put on temporarily for visual inspection and to get rid of the CEL. Do you know how long they allow you to get this done after you've moved? I'm thinking like 30-60 days?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by naucrx
Sir, if you do anything just put your stock cat on. I think you'll be fine otherwise, even with a visual inspection. But I'd bet that at the most they'll do an OBD-II scan (as well as test the things Compjoc said) and you either pass or fail based on that. I'd check out the Kansas DOT to see what they require before you do anything.

Ahah, and sir, I just remembered since your car got registered as a LANCER, I bet they'll correct that when you re-register in Kansas. lol
Yeah dude that's the MAJOR bummer. For others that don't know- when I bought this car originally- the dealer sent the wrong info the the DMV and my car was registered as a regular Lancer ES (their mistake not mine) so my registration has been MUCH lower than it should have been.... lol... But since I have to have it re-inspected- they'll "fix the glich" and I'll have to pay full price again.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Compjoc
I run all-season, because we get minimal snow, i don't believe full winter/snow tires are required. I put them on when the temps starts going below 40-50 degree in the day time, usually around november.

It depends on your tune on how much the cold will effect your pefromance. I run the Works T1R flash and i can see boost spikes in the lower gears in the extreme cold.
Like he said about the all seasons. We can get surprises with October and April snowfalls. I like to put on the a/s in October and go back to the advans in April.

Tuning wise, Jake can tune you. He has had success with his IX and has been tuning others. See Diemanmotorsports.com.

When you get here, pm me and we'll get you hooked up with Jake.

I moved from Shawnee to Lenexa. 30 minutes to downtown from my new home. 20 minutes from my old home.

Haven't registered a car in a while, but if it's coming from out of state, they will look over the vin numbers making sure they match and don't come up on any stolen vehicle lists. Never saw them get on the ground and look under the car. But then again, this was with a pre cat car ('78 280z) from when I moved here from Missouri back in the late 80's.

Good luck on the move,
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the info...

Yes, I have been communicating with Jeake via email for the past month. Seems like a good guy.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

My family lives in Shawnee. Would any of ya'll like to meet up sometime?
Old Jul 25, 2006, 12:57 PM

Jake and I meet up at Arrowhead Stadium on Sundays. July 30th is the next event. Come on out and say Hi, we'll be autocrossing his white Evo IX MR.
Old Jul 25, 2006, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the invite. I will not be able to make the trip up there. I am going to be up there
sometime in Aug. The drive up there is going to suck a little. 8hrs w/o cruise control. Yeah MRs.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Compjoc

If you don't mind me asking, which all seasons do you run?
Old Jul 26, 2006, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

I ran continental conti-extreme contact's for the first 2 winters. They were a BIG step down from the advans in dry conditions but were pretty good in the snow. Now I have a set of Avon Tech M550 A/S's. They have much better dry traction and handling capabilities than the continentals but i haven't had a chance to try them out in the snow yet.
Old Jul 26, 2006, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by smp3000
If you don't mind me asking, which all seasons do you run?
Kumho ASX, got a little more than 20k on them. Worked good in the snow/wet when they were new. Were ok the 2nd winter season. Won't try them for the 3rd winter season. I'll be getting new ASX's in October. Were $92 each when I first got them. Cheap enough and did their job.

Actually handled pretty good, I thought.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Olathe, KS?