Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Window Tints in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Window Tints in Chicago

This is the third time I've been pulled over in Chicago/Evanston for my window tint. I got 5% in the back and 20% in the front. Luckily, it's always a warning. Anyone else in the Chi area get this a lot? Should I just take them off? Sorry, I got a Lancer not an Evo.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As you probably know, in IL the law is nothing up front (annoyingly) and 35% max in the back. That's exactly what I have so I've obviously never had a problem. You could probably get away with 50/35 or even 35/20. I think if you tint the fronts any more than 35% you're going to have trouble from time to time. IL tint laws suck.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:24 PM

actually your partially right modetm, In IL we can have any % in the back but just none in the front. My buddy with a eclipse gsx got the combo of no front plate and tinted windows... sucks, but when you guys see the cops jsut roll them windows down no matter what weather condition
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

^^^When its pouring rain in may make sure your windows are wide open lol.

OP, This law has been around forever. Get used to it.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:16 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just be glad you haven't gotten pulled over somewhere that they can tow you for illegal tint.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
You can spray paint your back windows black as long as the front windows are clear.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:30 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Illinois law states

Here is the statute on tinted windows (625 ILCS 5/12-503). Under no circumstances does the law currently allow you to tint the front and front seat side windows.

Sec. 12-503. Windshields must be unobstructed and equipped with wipers.

(a) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any sign, poster, window application, reflective material, nonreflective material or tinted film upon the front windshield, sidewings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver. A nonreflective tinted film may be used along the uppermost portion of the windshield if such material does not extend more than 6 inches down from the top of the windshield. Nothing in this Section shall create a cause of action on behalf of a buyer against a dealer or manufacturer who sells a motor vehicle with a window which is in violation of this Section.

(b) Nothing contained in this Section shall prohibit the use of nonreflective, smoked or tinted glass, nonreflective film, perforated window screen or other decorative window application on windows to the rear of the driver's seat, except that any motor vehicle with a window to the rear of the driver's seat treated in this manner shall be equipped with a side mirror on each side of the motor vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12-502.

(c) No person shall drive a motor vehicle with any objects placed or suspended between the driver and the front windshield, rear window, side wings or side windows immediately adjacent to each side of the driver which materially obstructs the driver's view.

(d) Every motor vehicle, except motorcycles, shall be equipped with a device, controlled by the driver, for cleaning rain, snow, moisture or other obstructions from the windshield; and no person shall drive a motor vehicle with snow, ice, moisture or other material on any of the windows or mirrors, which materially obstructs the driver's clear view of the highway.

(e) No person shall drive a motor vehicle when the windshield, side or rear windows are in such defective condition or repair as to materially impair the driver's view to the front, side or rear. A vehicle equipped with a side mirror on each side of the vehicle which are in conformance with Section 12?502 will be deemed to be in compliance in the event the rear window of the vehicle is materially obscured.

(f) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Section shall not apply to:

(1) motor vehicles manufactured prior to January 1,

1982; or

(2) to those motor vehicles properly registered in

another jurisdiction.

(g) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to any motor vehicle with a window treatment, including but not limited to a window application, reflective material, nonreflective material, or tinted film, applied or affixed to the motor vehicle for the purposes set forth in item (1) or (2) before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 and:

(1) that is owned and operated by a person afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment, or disease which would require that person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun; or

(2) that is used in transporting a person when the person resides at the same address as the registered owner of the vehicle and the person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun;

It must be certified by a physician licensed to practice medicine in Illinois that such person owning and operating or being transported in a motor vehicle is afflicted with or suffers from such illness, ailment, or disease and such certification must be carried in the motor vehicle at all times. The certification shall be legible and shall contain the date of issuance, the name, address and signature of the attending physician, and the name, address, and medical condition of the person requiring exemption. The information on the certificate for a window treatment applied or affixed before the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997 must remain current and shall be renewed annually by the attending physician, but in no event shall a certificate issued for purposes of this subsection be valid on or after January 1, 2008. The person shall also submit a copy of the certification to the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State may forward notice of certification to law enforcement agencies.

This subsection shall not be construed to authorize window treatments applied or affixed on or after the effective date of this amendatory Act of 1997.

The exemption provided by this subsection (g) shall not apply to any motor vehicle on and after January 1, 2008.

(h) Paragraph (a) of this Section shall not apply to motor vehicle stickers or other certificates issued by State or local authorities which are required to be displayed upon motor vehicle windows to evidence compliance with requirements concerning motor vehicles.

(i) Those motor vehicles exempted under paragraph (f)(1) of this Section shall not cause their windows to be treated as described in paragraph (a) after January 1, 1993.

(j) A person found guilty of violating paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be guilty of a petty offense and fined no less than $50 nor more than $500. A second or subsequent violation of paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be treated as a Class C misdemeanor and the violator fined no less than $100 nor more than $500. Any person convicted under paragraphs (a), (b), or (i) of this Section shall be ordered to alter any nonconforming windows into compliance with this Section.

Last edited by sly; Jan 18, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Sly is right
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:33 PM
sly
Evolved Member

hope that helps, again in pretty less legal terms

Illinois law states

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In Illinois, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows No tint can be applied legally to this window.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

So if you get pulled over its best to know your laws.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:39 PM
Evolving Member

I got a bunch of those tickets. I had limo tints in the fron of my evo and all the way around. Started getting tickets left and right and then one day it was my 3 notice for tints and I actually had to go to the station and take them off over there. Lesson learned you wont get away with tints all the time, espeacially in the winter when the weather is cold and your windows are up.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:44 PM
sly
Evolved Member

if you stick to the law they can`t harass you, actually i used to carry a copy of that law when i got pulled over showed it to them and they had to let me go.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ah man. Thanks guys. I should of done some research. All the cops told me was that I can't have the front tinted. :[
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lurkerpika
actually your partially right modetm, In IL we can have any % in the back but just none in the front. My buddy with a eclipse gsx got the combo of no front plate and tinted windows... sucks, but when you guys see the cops jsut roll them windows down no matter what weather condition
My fault. You're right. If I knew better, I might have gone down to 20%.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:52 AM
Evolved Member

just remove them, you'll avoid future headaches