Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Winter in the Midwest

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2003 | 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Ok I picked up my Evo In A Snow Storm. The dealer is about 45 minutes from my house. It took me 2 and half hours to get home. The sticker on the door is no joke. Buy snow tires at the very least. I hear good things about a tire called hockapolita. Not sure of the spelling. sorry. But the yokas are fun if you have a big open parking lot covered with ice. It pivots. I have about 10,000 miles on my tires and am ready for new ones. Someone could probably get 13 or 14 if they drove it like a wagon.
Old Aug 3, 2003 | 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

I've sarted doing research on what winter tires will fit well on stock rims, as my Volks should be in sometime early winter. As I have experience with the Michelin and Bridgestone winter tires, I have narrowed my choices down to these. I believe stock O.D. is 25.3, which I think I pulled out of the shop manual, I just can't find the page again.

Blizzak LM-22 215/45R17 24.8 O.D.

Blizzak WS-50 215/45R17 24.9 O.D.

Blizzak WS-50 225/50R17 26.1 O.D.

Mich. Pilot Alpin 215/45R17 25.0 O.D.

I would really prefer to go to a 205 with a slightly larger O.D. than stock, but both Mich. and Bridg. list 7.5" as max for "proper fitment"

Anyone know if mounting a 205 on the 8" rim would create big problems? Obviously I will not be driving the car hard or frequently in the winter, so I am not concerned about performance detriments, just safety concerns.
Old Aug 3, 2003 | 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

i have hankook studed winter tires, i can rally with those bad boys, but went extreme due to too many close calls.
Old Sep 7, 2003 | 04:29 PM

I made it just fine through the past winter with the stock tires on, I'd suggest just driving really slow in bad weather, think of all th shmucks out there in their cavaliers and civics that aren't even into trickin out their cars, they just go from point A to point B and they do fine without getting winter tires and crap! Look at all the people out there with the stock tires, they drive just fine, it's just a matter of how you drive! Drive safe!
Old Sep 7, 2003 | 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by FlashAngel
I made it just fine through the past winter with the stock tires on, I'd suggest just driving really slow in bad weather, think of all th shmucks out there in their cavaliers and civics that aren't even into trickin out their cars, they just go from point A to point B and they do fine without getting winter tires and crap! Look at all the people out there with the stock tires, they drive just fine, it's just a matter of how you drive! Drive safe!
You can't break with the stock evo tires. You have a Lancer Oz right. We are talking about evo tires.
Old Sep 7, 2003 | 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

A guy I work with is buying a new car so he is going to sell me his old car really cheap. It's nothing great, but he said it will get me through the winter.
Old Sep 7, 2003 | 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I'm planning on getting winter tires and putting them on my stock OZ rims & that'll be for winters, good timing too cuz my tread's worn down and it's time for them to go (plus i heard this winter will be madd crazy, yes, worse than last year's snow in april situation)...then hopefully next summer i'll have summer tires & new 17" rims =)

Last edited by ciaxtrinity1; Sep 7, 2003 at 06:30 PM.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

I've had good experience with Sumitomo HTR+ tires in the past during winter so I'm going to use those again. I've decided to put those on my stock wheels and the stock tires are going on the Volks.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 02:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HIGH REV
I've had good experience with Sumitomo HTR+ tires in the past during winter so I'm going to use those again. I've decided to put those on my stock wheels and the stock tires are going on the Volks.
DITTO!
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Unhappy

Please, if any of you want to keep the Adavans on for winter your car will not make it through the winter alive. I got mine in january and got into a little snow and was going at a roll and was going into a turning lane and hit the brakes and the car just kept sliding. Luckily i was not moving more than about 2 or 3 mph other wise my evo would of been dinged up. Do not even think about kepping the stock tires in the winter, i know its not cheap for tires, but neither is a new car or the price to get it replaced. I wish you all good luck in the winter driving but i got a 200 dollar beater so i dont have to worry about the other fun things that winter brings to cars, dumb people crashing into you, snow, salt, extc.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

Has anyone used Continental ContiExtremeContacts before?
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 03:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by evo8usa
Has anyone used Continental ContiExtremeContacts before?
That was the tire I was thinkinga bout. Neal from tirerack said that these are pretty new, but have been doing VERY good in all the tests it has been in.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 03:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by lil'evil_evo

You can't break with the stock evo tires. You have a Lancer Oz right. We are talking about evo tires.
Hey, I'm looking to setup a winter tire package. If you're interested, again because you're local, I can cut you a deal. It'll be somewhere around the price of $1000 for Rims and Tires, mounted and balanced, ready to go.
Old Sep 8, 2003 | 04:42 PM
Evolving Member

I drove my FWD Eclipse through 3 winters and with the Sumitomos, I never once had a problem with snow. Very good tires for little buck.
Old Sep 11, 2003 | 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Who's going with Tires and Rims??

My Yoko's only have 4500 miles on them, so they'll still have tread left on them before the first snow fall hits.

Anyone experience problems with SALT on the Enkei rims?

Quick Reply: Winter in the Midwest