Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Speeding Ticket Advice

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Speeding Ticket Advice

Hey guys,
I was looking to see if I could get some advice on what to do. Recently I got a speeding ticket for going 104mph in a 55. Basically I was merging onto an open highway (290 W just west of York Rd.) and ran through the gears pretty quick until I saw a trooper parked on the shoulder w/ lights off and hit me w/ the laser. To make a long story short he wrote me a ticket and let me go on an I-Bond (even got to keep my license). The trooper was cool and asked a bunch of questions about my car and was thinking of getting a Supra himself. I am waiting to be sent a court date in the mail and the trooper mentioned it would probably be a $200 fine.

My question is, do you guys think I should get a lawyer for this and if so could you provide a good lawyer to call. Has anyone got busted going 30+ mph over the limit and what happened at court. I thought the $200 fine seemed a little low, but he even wrote it on the ticket. Let me know what you guys think. My driving record is pretty clean as well w/ only 1 ticket in the last 4 years.

Please don't chastise me on my speed either, I only do quick blasts when there is little to no traffic and my car gets up to 100+ rather quickly
Old May 18, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
let us know what happens
Old May 18, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you shouldve kept going and ditched the cop...haha jk
Old May 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Get a lawyer. The cop might say $200 fine, but he is not the judge. You REALLY don't want a 30+mph speeding ticket on your record. The insurance is already bad enough on our cars.
Old May 18, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

+1 lol
Old May 18, 2008, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

i just go a ticket for imprudent speed couple days ago!
Old May 18, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I did 92 in a 55 and they basically made me go to court and then the judge told me I had to pay a court fee plus the ticket fee(around $450).They sent me to do 12 hrs of community service and on probation for a year. That was when I had the Sti and about 2 and a half years ago.
Old May 18, 2008, 08:09 AM

I would get a lawyer if you dont wanna get beat up by the judge! I was in the same situation. pulled over for doing 140 by mill ave on 290. the cop seemed cool as hell but i got to the judge he wanted to susp. my lic. and give me a 1000 dollar fine and other ****, but the lawyer was able to take care of it. I got away with 150 fine and had to pay my lawyer. oh and the judge talked some **** to me but whatever. If you want the lawyer I used send me a PM if you want. Later
Old May 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

My buddy was recently stopped for doing 116 in a 55 and he was handcuffed, put in the back of the cop car and driven to the station, his car had to be towed away. I'm a little surprised the cop just let you go like that -- he must have been in a good mood.

There is not even a question -- you must get a lawyer. There are tons of traffic court attorneys and they deal with the same judges and prosecutors every day. It's like a little club, where the members continuously exchange favors. You want to be the beneficiary of one of those favors.

In the end, my buddy was put on probation for a least a year and paid a big fine (over $1000).

Good luck.

Oh, and get a V1 !
Old May 18, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by modetm
My buddy was recently stopped for doing 116 in a 55 and he was handcuffed, put in the back of the cop car and driven to the station, his car had to be towed away. I'm a little surprised the cop just let you go like that -- he must have been in a good mood.

There is not even a question -- you must get a lawyer. There are tons of traffic court attorneys and they deal with the same judges and prosecutors every day. It's like a little club, where the members continuously exchange favors. You want to be the beneficiary of one of those favors.

In the end, my buddy was put on probation for a least a year and paid a big fine (over $1000).

Good luck.

Oh, and get a V1 !

I think Modetm is exactly right. It's human nature that the judge would look more favorably upon you, because you are being represented by someone that the judge has a working relationship with. I would highly recommend getting a lawyer in this situation. Let us know how it turns out.
Old May 18, 2008, 09:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Lawyer, I wouldn't ever set foot in a courtroom without one.

Larry Doehman is regarded as one of the best around.
312 217-3233
Old May 18, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the feedback guys, it looks like I will be hiring a lawyer. For those of you that provided lawyer info. I will be giving them a call. I didn't want to take the cop's word for just showing up to court and paying the fine; I figured the judge would want to yell at me and tell me I'm endangering others..... I'll let you guys know what happens.

If anyone else has a lawyer the want to recommend just reply to this or shoot me a PM. The courthouse is in Addison if that makes any difference.

The worst part about this is that I probably could have got away as there was an M3 behind me going just as fast if not faster trying to catch up. The cop said he got me since I actually slowed down and went to the middle lane instead of him chasing the faster moving car. I didn't want to show up on the next video of police chases though
Old May 18, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Creamo3
Thanks for the feedback guys, it looks like I will be hiring a lawyer. For those of you that provided lawyer info. I will be giving them a call. I didn't want to take the cop's word for just showing up to court and paying the fine; I figured the judge would want to yell at me and tell me I'm endangering others..... I'll let you guys know what happens.

If anyone else has a lawyer the want to recommend just reply to this or shoot me a PM. The courthouse is in Addison if that makes any difference.

The worst part about this is that I probably could have got away as there was an M3 behind me going just as fast if not faster trying to catch up. The cop said he got me since I actually slowed down and went to the middle lane instead of him chasing the faster moving car. I didn't want to show up on the next video of police chases though
Talked recently to cop who's a client of mine at work. Accdg. to him, they usually don't chase speeding cars if they don't want to stop. There was an incident recently he cited that 2 teen girls died in an accident for speeding and being chased by a cop. The cop now is being sued.

I'm not saying you shld've just tried to lose the cop but.....

good luck on the ticket.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

You need a lawyer.
Old May 18, 2008, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

just make sure he actually wrote you down for going 104...because if he did then from there on its most likely all in the judges hands.
I know for me...this was a while ago so i don't remember exactly....but it was over double the speed limit in a residential school zone (think it was 57 in a 25) and an undercover sitting in a car got me but he was chill and we started talking and on the ticket he wrote me down for only going i think like 33 or something like that in a 25...and believe me that is a huge difference than over doubleing in a school zone. I forget what i ended up with but i had lawyer and i think it was just some fines.
Good luck

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket Advice