Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Downtown Naperville Evo Meets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sly
Well After a 20 min drive i got pulled over for my right brake light not working of course the cop was an ******* to me asking me what i was doing in napv, when i told him i`m going to the mall he`s started a barrage of questions. The malls closed what are u going to do there ?, do you have any illegal drugs in your car (WTF). yada yada mind you i wasn't even speeding.I got pulled from the car, searched, handcuffed (for his safety like i was even acting suspicious). He calls backup saying i was on hold for suspicion of street racing. Course with in 4 min there are **** load cops show up doing back ground check on me. It was all stupid i just sat there quite let em do their job which took about an hour mind you. In the end all i got was an apology, a ticket and warning.

I`m pretty pissed my dad told me to call the chief or what ever tomorrow but imo that would just cause more trouble than its worth
wow man, what an experience funny thing is.. you drive a Lancer, not an Evo

don't want to sound racist or anything, but are you non-Caucasian? nothing like some good ol' Naperville racial profiling.

And... what Brian_H said.. never consent to a search, EVEN if you have nothing to hide.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Aj, so that was you that we saw.

we were there, just parked closer to sears unlike a week ago when we parked closer to the steak and shake.

on a side note, wouldnt you get in to more trouble not consenting to a search? cuz they would think you are hiding something? what will they do to you if you dont consent to a search?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Agreed on never consenting, ever.... especially in the 'burbs. It seems like the more people that consent the more bored cops who have nothing better to do things its their job to rifle through & break/mess up, your junk to get their power trip on.

Also, of course it is probably "easiest" to just let them do their business and not start trouble, but its also your duty as a responsible citizen to ask for your citation, ask if he has any reason to arrest you, and ask if you can be on your way as your rights permit. If the LEO holds you any longer you have the privilage to file a complaint.... which I would take up since its about the only one you have and they have the privilege to break the law as they see fit.

Also, the chief is going to defend his men. It his job to basically tell you any bold face stupid tale to defend his officers and shuffle you out the door.

------

I'd like to make it out to one of these meets.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beetle_orange
Aj, so that was you that we saw.
on a side note, wouldnt you get in to more trouble not consenting to a search? cuz they would think you are hiding something? what will they do to you if you dont consent to a search?
LOL no!!! you have a 4th amendment right to causeless search and seizure.

Suspicion of hiding something due to you declining a search IS NOT probable cause!

If the cop had a valid reason for a search, he wouldn't have to ask you (i.e., your car smells like weed, you smell like alcohol, there are razor blades and white powder on your dashboard...). The problem is that, like you, most people think they will get in to trouble for saying "No" to a search, and end up consenting because of this.

The reason you should ALWAYS say no is because it is a very important right that, if not exercised, will be lost.

The more you know
Old Jul 25, 2008, 05:20 PM

Anyone planning on meeting up tonight?
Old Jul 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
sly
Evolved Member

The only reason i really consented to the search was because my car was spick clean theres nothing in it and not to mention if you don`t want to consent to a search they`ll tow your car and yada yada yada.

I did go to the station today and explained the situation and that i was very upset about the deal blah blah. They dropped the ticket called the cop in and gave him idk what they call it some sort of like written reprimand. I did file a complaint though against the officer for profiling.

As we walked out i told the officer my car doesnt even pull more than 120 hsp why would or who would i even race it would be pointless not to mention waste alot of gas
Old Jul 26, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by derekste
LOL no!!! you have a 4th amendment right to causeless search and seizure.

Suspicion of hiding something due to you declining a search IS NOT probable cause!

If the cop had a valid reason for a search, he wouldn't have to ask you (i.e., your car smells like weed, you smell like alcohol, there are razor blades and white powder on your dashboard...). The problem is that, like you, most people think they will get in to trouble for saying "No" to a search, and end up consenting because of this.

The reason you should ALWAYS say no is because it is a very important right that, if not exercised, will be lost.

The more you know
+1!!!

Sorry to hear about your experience Sly. I used to live in Bolingbrook and I tried to stay as far away from Naperville as possible. I have two friends that live there (one being around downtown) and I actually can't stand visiting them (no front plate) I have a silver 03 oz also BTW

----------------------------------

On topic, I'm glad everyone is starting to organize these things. I'm in the middle of both meeting places (fox valley and Streets) so maybe when i get my X i'll join up with everyone!
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:57 AM

I've never really had a problem with any of the cops in the area for no front plate including Naperville. *knocks on wood* At least you got the ticket dropped and aside from some humiliation everything worked out alright. Hope this wont make you or anyone for that matter think twice about showing up for meets.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sly
The only reason i really consented to the search was because my car was spick clean theres nothing in it and not to mention if you don`t want to consent to a search they`ll tow your car and yada yada yada.

I did go to the station today and explained the situation and that i was very upset about the deal blah blah. They dropped the ticket called the cop in and gave him idk what they call it some sort of like written reprimand. I did file a complaint though against the officer for profiling.

As we walked out i told the officer my car doesnt even pull more than 120 hsp why would or who would i even race it would be pointless not to mention waste alot of gas
good job dude! Thats what needed to happen, and for once it actually happened! Its still lame that they did all that, but atleast now you don't have a ticket.

edit: Btw I live in naperville, drive almost everyday and I have never once been pulled over for no frontplate. (knock on wood too)

Last edited by Blizzackk; Jul 27, 2008 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sly

Congrats on following through with a complaint. Lets hope the popo gets the ban stick. On the other hand, you better stay away from Naperville b/c all his butt buddies are gonna know your name.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:44 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
Congrats on following through with a complaint. Lets hope the popo gets the ban stick. On the other hand, you better stay away from Naperville b/c all his butt buddies are gonna know your name.
Lol screw that i`m coming down the meet not gonna let a bunch of cops scare me. I`m not doing anything illegal.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

So umm...what's going on? I haven't read through everything but am wondering if its worth coming this week? Anybody going to be there for sure?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:28 AM

Just now saw this thread - I migt cruise out there for a few minutes this week.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

so i guess the schaumburg meets got scrapped for this one?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I told BrianH to pull it down.

Quick Reply: Downtown Naperville Evo Meets