Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

Police vs tint owners in chicagoland?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Why bother putting something on your car that will cause you an inconvenience down the road. I've got the darkest tint on the back half of my car. It makes it so dark inside the car that most people think I have the front done too.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
According to this article, the fine for tinted glass of any type on front windows in Chicago is now $250, up from $25. The law went into effect in Jan, 2009.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-pa..._b_131098.html
However, if you don't want to stress about the possibility of being fined $250, under Illinois' tint laws there is an exemption for a "person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun." The form can be downloaded here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ns/vsd7041.pdf
Whether you can convince your doctor or optometrist to sign it is another question.
You also have to get special plate that has "WT" at the end and all of the letters are black (and renew annually):
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...d_windows.html
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

i got a warning once after i moved from GA. My civic was tinted all around with 22%. The cop was in front of me and pulled to the side to get behind me on a local road. months later i traded my civic. hahaha...thought about getting tints again for the evo tho...but IL law against window tinting is retarded.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Rule of thumb is that drivers side windows and passenger side cant be darker then 35% and Im in Mass and we def the strictest state when it comes to rules and regulations..I've heard if that if your windows in the front are legal then you can have the rear and back window 5%, but I'd just be safe and go with 35% all around.

Remember a pigs and pig and if he really wants to pull you over he will and he will reach down deep into his *** and find something (he or she thinks) is wrong with your car.

Last edited by el producto; Mar 10, 2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Massachusetts law and Illinois law are quite different. Any tint whatsoever on the front windows in Illinois is an equipment violation.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 08:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Illinois front tint is illegal, you may skate by and not get pegged for it but I wouldn't tint your windows under the assumption that you're going to be fine. If you go with the tints and get pegged for it, please don't be one of the people crying on here about cops and how they got you for breaking the law.

The ticket is pretty pricey and some cities even will impound your car for tint on the fronts. That's going to be a ticket and an impound fee, which is going to get costly really quick.

Another thing to consider is you're giving an officer not only a reason to pull you over but a blatantly obvious additional ticket to write you once you've been stopped. Two tickets = court, and if you're in Crook county that means you're going to get hit with huge court costs in addition to whatever fines you receive.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

^ well put. Just avoid the hassle and don't do it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not getting rid of my vanity plates for WT plates. I have a doctors note already, so I'll see if I can get him to sign this paper.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

I was pulled over but not ticketed. 35% up front 20% in the back. He mentioned my front plate not being on but didn't do anything about that either. The tint looks good but honestly, I hate looking out for cops and rolling down the windows everytime I see one.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

I've been driving with tinted windows since 1994. As I get older, the attention I receive from cops grows smaller and smaller. My driving style has not changed at all. That said, I think the choice a cop will make to ticket you depends on how you present yourself. Of course there are always going to be the dick cop(the one who tickets you).

edit: I can remember rolling down my windows as I saw a cop but guess what, they already know. I tried it once in about -5 degree weather, cop pulled me over only to give me a warning. He got a kick out of me trying to avoid him but who the hell drives with the window down when its below zero?

Last edited by lexat20; Mar 10, 2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lexat20
I've been driving with tinted windows since 1994. As I get older, the attention I receive from cops grows smaller and smaller. My driving style has not changed at all. That said, I think the choice a cop will make to ticket you depends on how you present yourself. Of course there are always going to be the dick cop(the one who tickets you).
Completely agree. The trooper that pulled me over was actually tailing me for a while and he saw me cut off a semi. I talked to him just to start conversation, we joked a little and he said I'll give you a warning this time just be careful.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by modetm
According to this article, the fine for tinted glass of any type on front windows in Chicago is now $250, up from $25. The law went into effect in Jan, 2009.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/the-pa..._b_131098.html
However, if you don't want to stress about the possibility of being fined $250, under Illinois' tint laws there is an exemption for a "person is afflicted with or suffering from a medical illness, ailment or disease which would require the person to be shielded from the direct rays of the sun." The form can be downloaded here: http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...ns/vsd7041.pdf
Whether you can convince your doctor or optometrist to sign it is another question.
You also have to get special plate that has "WT" at the end and all of the letters are black (and renew annually):
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...d_windows.html

damn good thing i dont live or go to chicago
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by modetm
this is a good idea. any pics?

Old Mar 10, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by el producto
I'd just be safe and go with 35% all around.
I had %35 all around. I got a ticket in the suburbs for it.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I got 3 warnings and 2 tickets, I finally took them off.

Quick Reply: Police vs tint owners in chicagoland?