Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

who wants to kart at road america?

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2009, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
who wants to kart at road america?

anybody want to do some high speed karting up by road america? they have a large (0.8 mile) karting course. it is actually inside the main 4 mile race track - the karting track is inside the carousel. if you have been to chicago indoor racing this is a little like that - only the track is wider and larger, it is outdoors, and the karts are a good bit faster. just as with CIR you get print outs of your lap times when all the racing is done.

here's a video of a version of the course (its configured by race and group size i believe): Road America | Road Racing at its Best! | Briggs & Stratton Motorplex

video:
YouTube - Motorplex August 24, 2008

date:
may 31st, late morning, 10 or 11am

cost:
$105

i'm actually going to be up there for a work thing. trying to get enough people interested in doing this, but it's like $300 a person unless you get a group of 30 or more. so far i have a gap until i reach that 30 based on work people alone. we are only doing this if we get 30 people. so i'm trying to find others interested in heading up. looking for people who are willing to commit and fairly soon so i can make this happen. fyi concessions will be open and there will be SCCA races going on all day on the 4 mile race track around us. please respond to this thread or PM me if you are interested!

***** UPDATES ***** from RA

sessions would probably be 10 karts at a time and approximately 8 minutes. at the end of each session everyone would receive a print out of their lap times. the entire event would last approximately 2 hours. everyone would get at least 4 sessions on the track. i believe this ends up being more seat time per $ vs. CIR plus you are on faster karts on a big outdoor track. should be extremely fun.

if you want to watch the SCCA races outside of the area we're in i believe you'd have to pay general admission, if you wanted to hang around and watch the races from this area for a while it would not cost anything.

-------------
1-19. sickmint79 + coworkers (about 66% of coworkers have taken survey; closes may 16th a few more should be picked up)
20. november on mwir.net
21. november's friend yadel
22. 16gkid on mwir.net
23-26. triple_s1x on nasioc.com + 3 friends
27. lazyfong (eddie) on mwir.net
28. flip240 (phil) on mwir.net
29. raudis on mwir.net
30-33. nevets87 on nasioc + 3 friends

***** MONEY *****
we are at critical mass - i need to start collecting money. i need 50% of the total cost as a deposit, and the whole thing needs to be paid for before race day. I would appreciate a full payment up front but if you can only swing a partial at the moment we can work something out. PM me if you want my address for a check - else you can find me on paypal at mike@developer10.com. the total price is $105, but if you pay via paypal please cover the transaction fees by sending me $108.44 per person. send your username with payment so i know who you are please. i have a large amount of paypal and ebay transactions you can peruse if you are concerned about sending your money. would appreciate payment asap. thanks guys, it's going to be a lot of fun!
Old May 18, 2009, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you bring your own kart?
Old May 18, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolving Member

I can bring about 4 people with me, I know they'll do it I just want to clarify the cost with them.. Thanks. Also what's your name on mwir.net?

Last edited by Jedi_Gill; May 18, 2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 08:50 AM

i have doubts you can bring your own kart. if it's much slower than the one they'll be renting me maybe i can ask.

i'm sickmint79 on mwir.net but it is not a board i frequent. neither is this one, i drive an sti. have been to a few AMS track days and will be at the full autobahn one though. i've posted this thread in many chicagoland car hangouts online and mwir and nasioc have been the ones pulling through with people.
Old May 18, 2009, 11:08 AM

Now THIS sounds like a good time....

I will bounce this off my brother in law later today... and let you know...

THANKS for offering this up!
Old May 18, 2009, 04:53 PM

glad you guys are interested, need to start collecting money and getting committed people ASAP so please let me know! thanks!
Old May 19, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sickmint79
i have doubts you can bring your own kart. if it's much slower than the one they'll be renting me maybe i can ask.

i'm sickmint79 on mwir.net but it is not a board i frequent. neither is this one, i drive an sti. have been to a few AMS track days and will be at the full autobahn one though. i've posted this thread in many chicagoland car hangouts online and mwir and nasioc have been the ones pulling through with people.
I will pretty much guarantee that my kart will be faster than what they use for rentals. LMK if I can bring my own I would join the fun
Old May 19, 2009, 09:25 AM

i was joking, i'd rather force you into being "slow" like the rest of us that beating us up with an uber kart !
Old May 19, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

i was joking, i'd rather force you into being "slow" like the rest of us that beating us up with an uber kart !
Sorry, a lot going on today.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:02 AM

bump - gill you still in? need money asap.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor

bump - gill you still in? need money asap.
Can I paypal you the money and I'm about to discuss this with my friends over the weekend.. I should have the cash from them by them at this time. I'll give you a final answer on monday.
Old May 22, 2009, 09:27 AM

sounds good to me. thanks!
Old May 22, 2009, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

So that $105 includes everything, right? Kart rental, helmet, track time, etc.? I might show up with 2 friends if that's the case. I will let you know by monday.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:42 AM

correct, please do. thanks!
Old May 26, 2009, 03:36 PM

any news?