Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

+1 for DevinTuned and Boostin Performance!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
+1 for DevinTuned and Boostin Performance!

I know there are a lot of people asking who they should see and where to go for a tune locally, and I realize there are a lot of very talented options in the Chicagoland and surrounding areas, but whenever anyone asks for my opinion on who to see to get their car tuned, my immediate answer, without question, is: Get DevinTuned.

Let me share my most recent experience with you when I went in for an intercooler and MAF adapter/velocity stack upgrade with a re-tune:

First off, the sad thing is that I couldn't get a really accurate before/after comparison because over the winter, I hadn't really gotten on the car all that much because of obvious reasons, so when I went into Devin's shop to get this all done, I had no idea that I apparently had a massive boost leak or something that was causing the car to run extremely rich and just plain wrong. If there was anything good that came from that, it's the confirmation that I made the right decision to spend the extra money and convert the whole system over to t-bolt clamps at this time as well.

Basically, when we took the car out for a baseline run and after 2 quick pulls we realized that we were wasting out time. The car was showing 9.5:1 afr's on my wideband and the graphs just looked horrible.

I feel that I should clarify here for a moment: With the lack of availability of a dyno for the day, everything was done via street tune and "Virtual Dyno" for the time being, though it has been proven that this program is actually very accurate in its assessments. I assure you that the car will be on a dyno as soon as I get the chance, though the real results will obviously come when the car goes back to the track in a couple weeks.

So, back to the shop we went. Devin had a few other things going on when we got there, so we threw my car on the rack and I had at it. Yanking the old stuff off and throwing the new stuff on while he finished up what he needed to take care of for the day.

*Disclaimer: I have known Devin for awhile now and he knows me and my knowledge of cars being a Mitsu tech, so don't expect him to let just anyone have free-reign in his shop. *

Anyway, he finished up what he was doing and we got the rest of the parts installed, converted all the worm clamps over to t-bolt, and boost-leak tested the car. It passed with flying colors, so we threw the rest of the car back together, installed a boost-gauge, connected the wideband to the computer to log our afr's and got ready to go.

Devin had to rescale the MAF settings to accommodate the 3" housing that I had installed which was a quick process, then he turned DOWN the boost a little just in case (which turned out to be a good thing) left the fuel and timing maps as they were for the time being and off we went. Well, after a few pulls with plenty of fuel/timing/boost/etc. adjustment in-between runs, the car felt simply amazing.

I hate to compare the "butt-dyno" readings to before because I haven't really driven it super hard since last fall at the end of the race season here, and I came into the shop with obvious issues. So it wouldn't be a fair comparison, but I have to admit that it definitely put a huge smile on my face.

So, with all things said and done, here's what the results looked like on the Virtual Dyno with "Dynojet" calibration settings:

I've noticed that most people on here like to use Mustang numbers, though, since they claim the Dynojet shows inflated "internet" numbers, so here's the Mustang conversion in VD:

I could always lower the smoothing on this graph too, and it would read about 280ish hp, but the graph gets a bit choppy. Devin and I are thoroughly convinced that once I get my last round of parts on and tune on e85, I will, in fact be seeing 300hp, stock turbo, on the mustang as well.

Before this session with Devin, the last time I dyno'ed the car was on a Mustang dyno that showed 271hp and 299tq at the wheels. The peak numbers are not much greater than before the mods, but for only a larger intercooler and maf housing with a velocity stack, they are very promising. Plus, also keep in mind that the intercooler (or any intercooler upgrade for that matter) isn't even really adding any power, more of a preventative mod allowing you to run more aggressively and make the power more reliably and safely.

The other thing to consider, which may not show well on the before/after comparison since there was such a problem with the car in the beginning, is the fact that the whole graph has shifted left again approximately 300-500rpm and the power does not drop off as severely. I will try to upload a scan of my last dyno run now that I've found it so you can see what I'm talking about. Peak numbers are not always the entire story, nor the best comparison to use, when it comes to improvements on a car. Area under the curve has increased dramatically and that is what's most important.

So here is the before-after comparison, even though it's not really accurate because of the prior issues, it still shows what gains were made, at least for the day. Keep in mind that the smoothing was up on this one to make it easier to compare the two because the initial graph was so choppy, so the peak numbers are actually a bit lower:

Probably one of the best parts of all of this is that, as I mentioned, boost pressure has actually been lowered but the car is still making more power. My guess is this is possible because the intake mod is allowing more air volume to enter the engine without having to raise the pressure to force more through the system. Previously I was at 27psi tapering down to 19-20. I am now peaking around 24 and tapering to 20-21. As you can see, the hp curve still drops off because of the small turbo, but nowhere near as severely as commonly seen on the stock Ralliart turbocharger.

So there you have it. I will be adding more as I can think of it and I'll try to get my original dyno scans added, as well as a trip to the track and the dyno for updates as well.

As of right now, the car feels amazing and I couldn't be happier. Thanks yet again to Devin!

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Jun 6, 2011 at 07:34 AM. Reason: title
Old Mar 28, 2011, 05:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very nice!
Old Mar 28, 2011, 07:11 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
how did Devin like the FMIC and intake functionality?

cb
Old Mar 28, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Very very nice. I know I mentioned it in the other section, but this wouldn't have been possible without your parts. The intercooler was a perfect fit and was very well made and the velocity stack to 3" MAF housing with the filter that wraps all the way around it is amazing.

I'm sure he'll chime in on this thead when he gets the chance, too.

Last edited by 03chi-town0Z; Mar 28, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 10:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRD
how did Devin like the FMIC and intake functionality?

cb

The parts worked out great. They fit well, looked great, and most importantly performed excellent.

Kyle, thanks for the review and I'm glad you're happy!

Devin

Last edited by Boostin Perform; Mar 31, 2011 at 02:56 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 04:39 PM
Evolved Member

I think Im going to drive the whole way from Dayton Ohio to have him tune my car. I have heard nothing but good things about him. Im just waiting to collect as many parts as possible before I make the trek since its a 5 hour drive.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 05:46 PM
Evolved Member

It'll be well worth the drive if you do. Give him a call and then make sure you let some of us Chicago guys know so we can put together a mini-meet or something
Old Apr 3, 2011, 10:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RalliMark
I think Im going to drive the whole way from Dayton Ohio to have him tune my car. I have heard nothing but good things about him. Im just waiting to collect as many parts as possible before I make the trek since its a 5 hour drive.
That would be great! Give me a call at the shop, so we can go over your setup/mods list.

Devin (630) 458-9600
Old Apr 4, 2011, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
That would be great! Give me a call at the shop, so we can go over your setup/mods list.

Devin (630) 458-9600
Yeah I will but gonna wait until I at least get my hfc and maybe a downpipe.
The mini meet would be great there are no ralliarts around here just a bunch of evos. Since Ive bought my car in October I have only seen one other Ralliart in person.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 10:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RalliMark
Yeah I will but gonna wait until I at least get my hfc and maybe a downpipe.
The mini meet would be great there are no ralliarts around here just a bunch of evos. Since Ive bought my car in October I have only seen one other Ralliart in person.
Sounds good. Just keep in mind that after you have been tuned, a retune is only $125. Some people will wait months until they get all there parts when they could have been tuned the whole time.

Devin
Old Apr 13, 2011, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boostin Perform
Sounds good. Just keep in mind that after you have been tuned, a retune is only $125. Some people will wait months until they get all there parts when they could have been tuned the whole time.

Devin
Yeah but ur shop is over 5 hours away
Old Apr 13, 2011, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ i used to drive 6 hrs to buschur [twice], years ago before i met devin now i its only 40 min. you can always arrange to have him tune it at the shoot-out if you can wait that long either way, you'll come out a winner. the ride home is always fun
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I plan on going up there to get it done I just am trying to avoid driving there over and over again.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

im late to reading this since i dont come on evom as much, but congrats kyle, definitely hit the nail on the head with regards to area under the curve and usable powerbands.

I just confirmed with Devin he can tune my car as well when im ready. great stuff!

Totally offtopic, but you're a moderator, sayyyyy whhaaaaaa!?!?
Old Apr 19, 2011, 06:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jblade
I just confirmed with Devin he can tune my car as well when im ready. great stuff!

Totally offtopic, but you're a moderator, sayyyyy whhaaaaaa!?!?
Oh ya, im ready when you are!

Kyles a moderator, thats news to me. Its got to be because hes such a bad ***, LOL

Kyle, when are we going to the track?

Devin

Quick Reply: +1 for DevinTuned and Boostin Performance!