Notices
Midwest Region Includes IA, IL, IN, MI, MN, MO, WI, OH.

At Fault Accident Ticket - Dupage County

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At Fault Accident Ticket - Dupage County

Long story Short my Wife rear ended someone. We settled the insurance claim out of Pocket, however she got a ticket for "failure to reduce speed to avoid and accident"

I remember from back in 2003 if the other party didnt show up in court, the ticket was dismissed.

Is this still true today? anyone have any recent experience with this.

Thanks.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there were no police officers to witness the accident and the ticket was issued after the fact, the other party or any witnesses must appear in court otherwise if she pleads not guilty, the ticket is dismissed.

A ticket is not an admittance of guilt, simply a summons to appear in court. Since she was issued a ticket, she must either pay the ticket or go to court to fight it. If there are no witnesses present, the ticket is dismissed since the officer that will appear was not a witness and simply wrote the ticket after investigating the accident.

I had the same situation in Dekalb county a few years ago. I pulled out and someone changed lanes into me. She claimed I cut her off and it was a big fight, but the officer issued me a ticket since I pulled out from a private drive. I went to court to dispute it and since she was not there, the ticket was dismissed and the officer who wrote the ticket got a free paid afternoon. Ticket was dropped, I was no longer liable through insurance, and we both had to pay for our own repairs.

Any witnesses and the other party involved should be notified at the scene and through mail to appear in court.