Notices

SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Could be clutch packs, could be valve body or tcu.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
Could be clutch packs, could be valve body or tcu.
Sounds like a five speed swap in my near future
Old Aug 15, 2012, 01:57 AM

For a while now my tranny has been slipping in high gears like 5 th and 6th under boost.

Turns out that the tune and mods I had were too much for the tranny to handle.

My ralliart has 38,000k on the odo with basic mods (turbo back, short ram intake, tune). Went to the dealer with stock map installed and they told me cause of the mods the repair would not be covered under warranty (my own fault for not bringing the whole car back to stock but I was looking for an upgrade anyway) and for my issue they would need to replace the whole tranny which costs as we all know some where in the 9k to 10k USD.

So I let the issue sit for a while and as the days went on I found that if the car was driven for over an hour the tranny would slip badly and even have a hard time changing gears. At times the car would stay in only the odd gears and you can forget getting into reverse. So I sent an email out to SSP about some upgraded clutch packs and who could install them for me and they recommended Kaizen Tuning, the only place in the north east that was close to where I live (Long Island, NY).

So I sent an email out to Kaizen and got a response right away, got a qoute for the 400hp clutch packs, new seals, a deeper trans oil pan, an inline filter and, fluids. With labor it turned out to be 4k, they even threw in a free tune (500$ normally)!

All in all I'm pretty happy with that price, scheduled to go in hopefully the first week in September. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Have you changed the SST fluid (and had the ECU's SST-related tables adjusted)?

Rich
Old Aug 15, 2012, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by richardjh
Have you changed the SST fluid (and had the ECU's SST-related tables adjusted)?

Rich
Yes, last summer the fluid was changed. Don't know about the other bit...
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
For a while now my tranny has been slipping in high gears like 5 th and 6th under boost.

Turns out that the tune and mods I had were too much for the tranny to handle.

My ralliart has 38,000k on the odo with basic mods (turbo back, short ram intake, tune). Went to the dealer with stock map installed and they told me cause of the mods the repair would not be covered under warranty (my own fault for not bringing the whole car back to stock but I was looking for an upgrade anyway) and for my issue they would need to replace the whole tranny which costs as we all know some where in the 9k to 10k USD.

So I let the issue sit for a while and as the days went on I found that if the car was driven for over an hour the tranny would slip badly and even have a hard time changing gears. At times the car would stay in only the odd gears and you can forget getting into reverse. So I sent an email out to SSP about some upgraded clutch packs and who could install them for me and they recommended Kaizen Tuning, the only place in the north east that was close to where I live (Long Island, NY).

So I sent an email out to Kaizen and got a response right away, got a qoute for the 400hp clutch packs, new seals, a deeper trans oil pan, an inline filter and, fluids. With labor it turned out to be 4k, they even threw in a free tune (500$ normally)!

All in all I'm pretty happy with that price, scheduled to go in hopefully the first week in September. I'll keep you all posted.
38000k? 38000000 miles!?

Jokes aside, keep us informed!
Old Sep 4, 2012, 06:16 AM

So just got to Kaizen tuning and they got the car back in the shop. It's a solid 3 day tat for the whole rebuild and a tune. I'll post more as soon as I get more details
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by lookmanohands
Yes, last summer the fluid was changed. Don't know about the other bit...

Where at NY did you change the tranny fluid ??
Old Sep 7, 2012, 06:45 AM
Evolved Member

Looks like 2009 was not a good year for the SST.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by marell31
Where at NY did you change the tranny fluid ??
Stealership, I gave them a good review because they have taken care of me
In the past and he covered the labor and half the
Cost of the fluid replacement.

As far as an update on the car, it's still in MA at kaizen tuning. They replaced the seals and all the clutches but the transmission still isn't working right. So kaizen called up the only place that sells parts for these trans and said it may be the hydraulic control unit. Waiting on that part before we know anything.

Kaizen said that it looks like the hydraulic control unit was possibly the reason why the clutches and seals busted on me.

So still waiting for a call but kaizen was nice enough to help out with the cost of a rental! Really awesome customer service, I'm completely satisfied so far and looking forward to hopefully good news. I'll keep you all posted.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:24 PM

my tranny was broken down at 29k miles. the dealership had replaced for me under warranty. my car was fully tuned ,but after this , now complete stock.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:02 PM

Model: 2011 Ralliart
Mileage: 565 (Brand new, only owned a week!)
Mods: None

Went to start the engine one morning and it lurched when she ticked over which gave me my first indication something was wrong, then felt like clutch was slipping and would suddenly drop at about 2000rpm lurching the car forward, thought I might be able to limp it to garage near my work (16kms away), got 5kms before tranny wouldn't go higher than 2nd, had to call tow truck for rest of the way. That was over 3 weeks ago, apparently it needs a new MigTronic unit (not sure what that is) and there's none in Australia so having to get one shipped from Japan.

Current Status: Apparently unit in Japan has been marked for shipping but no ETA on arrival

Am probably looking at having my car off the road for over a month, eventually managed to get a loan car from dealer after a week and a half which is a bog standard lancer

Not happy!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:31 AM

Got the clutchpack changed about 3000km ago under warranty, course it got shaky when departing everytime... Had 30000km when this happend.

And now, its leaking.

They took pictures, and are now waiting for an answer..

Not very happy....

Greetz from belgium.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, at least they are trying to service it these days, instead of replacing the whole thing. Gotta give them points for that, lol.

Rich
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Is it better that they are trying to service it? Their competency doesn't always seem to be up to standards.

Quick Reply: SST Transmission FAILURE THREAD - Post your results !