Notices

SST trans filter at 6300 miles

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:24 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SST trans filter at 6300 miles

Did a trans fluid and filter change on my 2010 RA sportback yesterday.

Fluid looked ok. Filter was pretty dark. Not sure if anyone has posted a image of what a SST filter looks like under 10,000 miles so here you go:

My RA is making over 160whp then stock. Never seen the track, only street.

FYI, my 2010 SST had only TWO drain plugs on the bottom, not three like the 2008 SST.

- Bryan
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

My filter actually looked better than that after 30k miles, but pictures aren't really a valid comparison.

I just drove a 2010 SST car (EVO X SE) this weekend and I noticed a big difference from the 2009 SST transmission. It is on a different level (better) than the 09's. Also, I wonder why they would they change the drain plugs from 3 to 2?
Old Nov 13, 2010, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

thats interesting. i have yet to change my filter yet and i have 42000 miles but i did change my fluid around 30,000. i think i will be changing the filter soon. i feel really bad that i have not changed my filter yet but its kinda my fault because when i went to the dealer they said that they have never even changed the filter on one before so i was kinda confused. i always change my own fluids so i guess i will be taking that apart soon. bryan is it just u rubber gasket or do you have to use rtv sealant to seal it back up?? and once you take the trans pan off is the filter right there and easy to change and remove??
Old Nov 13, 2010, 11:47 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by hotshot1
thats interesting. i have yet to change my filter yet and i have 42000 miles but i did change my fluid around 30,000. i think i will be changing the filter soon. i feel really bad that i have not changed my filter yet but its kinda my fault because when i went to the dealer they said that they have never even changed the filter on one before so i was kinda confused. i always change my own fluids so i guess i will be taking that apart soon. bryan is it just u rubber gasket or do you have to use rtv sealant to seal it back up?? and once you take the trans pan off is the filter right there and easy to change and remove??
No need to take trans pan off. It's on a housing bolted to the drivers side of the transmission. The SST oil cooler lines attach to it.

Rubber o-ring comes on the new filter cover...

- Bryan
Old Nov 14, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolving Member

hey bryan,

wat is the size of the oil filter socket ? it's a hex rite ??? i did take a look around the filter area, not too accessible with those panels blocking it. did you drain the cooler too ? i'm looking to drain the cooler when my filter arrives and hope the remaining half can is sufficient.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

ok thanks for the info bryan.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had talked to the dealer today and they say they only do a drain and refil they don't change the filter... Any idea where I can have the filter changed also?!!? I'm not really that good at working on cars myself nor do I have the tools
Old Nov 17, 2010, 03:15 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by luvboost
I had talked to the dealer today and they say they only do a drain and refil they don't change the filter... Any idea where I can have the filter changed also?!!? I'm not really that good at working on cars myself nor do I have the tools
They will change the filter if you tell them to. They just aren't supposed to the first oil change according to .
Old Nov 17, 2010, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok thanks for the info
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

I scheduled a trans oil and filter change with my dealership, anyone got a price on how much that should be?

car is at 7150 miles
Old Dec 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Is the filter really nasty looking just because it came from a newish car and just had to "break-in" the tranny? I wonder if the subsequent change after the same time interval would show a cleaner looking filter.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 08:11 AM
Evolving Member

Mostl likely they are using the BG machine to do the trans service. I have used this machine. BG claims that it changes the fluid and cleans the filter at the same time. In my opinion the filter should be changed at every fluid change. I have seen some trans take the fluid change from the BG machine perfectly. There is the rare occasion where after the fluid change the trans will fail. I guess it is all on faith in the process.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cyloc
Mostl likely they are using the BG machine to do the trans service. I have used this machine. BG claims that it changes the fluid and cleans the filter at the same time. In my opinion the filter should be changed at every fluid change. I have seen some trans take the fluid change from the BG machine perfectly. There is the rare occasion where after the fluid change the trans will fail. I guess it is all on faith in the process.
What!? Are you saying there is a chance if i took my SST to the dealer for tranny flush/fuild change, it would fail my SST??
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Midnighyt
I scheduled a trans oil and filter change with my dealership, anyone got a price on how much that should be?

car is at 7150 miles
Mine told me the tranny oil flush would be $250 they did not mention the filter tho...
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:58 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by odin
What!? Are you saying there is a chance if i took my SST to the dealer for tranny flush/fuild change, it would fail my SST??
If the tranny fails after a tranny flush, the problem was going to happen eventually anyways.

I'd rather if fail after a flush the dealer did than on the road. That way there is some liability.

Quick Reply: SST trans filter at 6300 miles