Notices

SST Operation Explained

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:00 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
The day I decide to get castrated is the day I buy a performance car with an automatic. If this is the future, then the future looks pretty d*mn bleak to me .
+1
Old Nov 20, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
The day I decide to get castrated is the day I buy a performance car with an automatic. If this is the future, then the future looks pretty d*mn bleak to me .
LOL.

Well lets see. The X is gonna have a DSG auto. The new GTR will have something similar. The new lexus IS-F also will have one. New M3 gets its new "auto" tranny next year. The list goes on and on. All performance cars in the future will have a DSG/SMG style auto trannies. Weather the offer a manual wil be the question.

The new trannies will shift faster then any human can. If you dont know, F1 cars and real race car have DSG/SMG style trannies. I would like my street performance car to be more like a F1 car.

FYI, I believe the GTR and the IS-F will not have a manual option. DSG style auto only.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IS-F will come with a regular torque converter auto tranny, not a dual clutch automated manual. But I have read in the latest Motor Trend that the IS-F auto tranny is still very nice that can pull off lightning fast shifts.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dklau33
IS-F will come with a regular torque converter auto tranny, not a dual clutch automated manual. But I have read in the latest Motor Trend that the IS-F auto tranny is still very nice that can pull off lightning fast shifts.
Cool. Kinda like the 335i auto. Its very quick and I believe its a regular auto.

Regardless it wont have a manual.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 04:52 PM
Evolving Member

First of all, in the US, only about 5% of cars have manual transmissions. I never thought I'd want anything but a manual, but now all I want is DSG. If a lot of past manual buyers are like me, and they are, manuals become almost non-viable for mass production.

I don't understand how, if the SST is going to slip the clutch to provide creep, the clutch isn't going to be gone within 20k miles.

Also, if you're listening, in "normal" manual mode, please let the transmission upshift at redline. But just in normal, not sport or SS.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 08:22 PM
FLK
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rexb
TC-SST or DSG is the future. I'm glad Mitsu is already on board with this. I remember watching the video with Keiichi Tsuchiya (aka Drift King) where they tested/raced same VW cars with one manual and DSG. The DSG was heavier but easily beat the manual which was driven by Tsuchiya. Also, the new Nissan GTR only has it as their tranny option and BMW is developing their version too, not to mention supercars like the Bugatti. Overall, i'm excited with the new TC-SST and can't wait to try one out soon.
The 2008 M3 will have an impressive 7 speed DSG (MDCT by Getrag).

Last edited by FLK; Nov 20, 2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

I don't know jack **** about cars, but I think readin these post r the funniest, they help me get thru the graveyard shift. Right now I own an IX mr and love the damn thing, it make a s**tty driver like myself feel like I actually knows how to drive. since I rely on the dealer for all my maintainance needs prob won't upgrade until 3 yrs down the road, just b/c its new technology and when stuff breaks and they will, no one is gonna have clue how to fix it. I saw some of the old posts where guys says that the dealer messed up by using the wrong fluids and other stuff. Its just now they finnally getting the hang of things. I'm gonna treat it like a new gaming system at launched date...just wait. Maybe by then I'll have arthritis in my foot and is unable to use the clutch.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Qest
I don't understand how, if the SST is going to slip the clutch to provide creep, the clutch isn't going to be gone within 20k miles.

Also, if you're listening, in "normal" manual mode, please let the transmission upshift at redline. But just in normal, not sport or SS.
that's cuz an electronically controlled clutch is WAAAY more precise than your left foot. if it has a 5 yr drivetrain warranty, then who really cares right? dealer can't say the driver is to blame either...

why on earth would anyone want auto upshifts at redline in manual mode? if you want auto shifting put it in "A" drive. if you want auto upshifts at redline put it on S-Sport mode. thank god mitsu leaves manual mode FULLY manual...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
LOL.

Well lets see. The X is gonna have a DSG auto. The new GTR will have something similar. The new lexus IS-F also will have one. New M3 gets its new "auto" tranny next year. The list goes on and on. All performance cars in the future will have a DSG/SMG style auto trannies. Weather the offer a manual wil be the question.

The new trannies will shift faster then any human can. If you dont know, F1 cars and real race car have DSG/SMG style trannies. I would like my street performance car to be more like a F1 car.

FYI, I believe the GTR and the IS-F will not have a manual option. DSG style auto only.
F1 cars are built to achieve maximum lap times within the confines of certain rules. At no time during my commute or even the occasional driver's education event will maximum possible lap times be a priority to me. I prefer whatever will make the drive most engaging and enjoyable.

That said, if I were to make an Evo my daily driver, I would give serious consideration to a sequential manual for practical purposes.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 08:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by madfast
that's cuz an electronically controlled clutch is WAAAY more precise than your left foot. if it has a 5 yr drivetrain warranty, then who really cares right? dealer can't say the driver is to blame either...

why on earth would anyone want auto upshifts at redline in manual mode? if you want auto shifting put it in "A" drive. if you want auto upshifts at redline put it on S-Sport mode. thank god mitsu leaves manual mode FULLY manual...
So it's doing precision clutch slip while my mom sits facing slightly uphill without her foot on the brake at a long red light and because it's so precise the clutch won't wear out?

I've actually owned a DSG car, a 2006 VW GLI, and I can tell you that I appreciated it upshifting for me even in manual mode most of the time. In that car, the DSG actually revved the engine significantly beyond the redline before shifting for me! Obviously, the Evo is a much more serious sports car than my GLI was so there definitely needs to be a mode that is truly FULL manual with no upshifting in the Evo, but the TC-SST has 3 modes and I don't see why, in just the "normal" mode, the transmission shouldn't shift at redline. People like you can put it into "Sport" or "SS" and get that tiny drop more of control you seek.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Qest
So it's doing precision clutch slip while my mom sits facing slightly uphill without her foot on the brake at a long red light and because it's so precise the clutch won't wear out?

I've actually owned a DSG car, a 2006 VW GLI, and I can tell you that I appreciated it upshifting for me even in manual mode most of the time. In that car, the DSG actually revved the engine significantly beyond the redline before shifting for me! Obviously, the Evo is a much more serious sports car than my GLI was so there definitely needs to be a mode that is truly FULL manual with no upshifting in the Evo, but the TC-SST has 3 modes and I don't see why, in just the "normal" mode, the transmission shouldn't shift at redline. People like you can put it into "Sport" or "SS" and get that tiny drop more of control you seek.
obviously the clutches will wear out eventually, but not in 20k miles. it can lock up and release the clutch packs infinitely faster than any mechanical/human means with extreme precision to boot. it's like ABS brakes vs pumping the brakes yourself. it's a no brainer. the computer wins, every time.

so if you want it to upshift for you why are you putting it in manual mode? that's the part that doesn't make sense. if you want it to automatically shift at redline then put it in auto mode and select the S-Sport mode. this will hold the gear and auto upshift only at redline. do you want manual control everywhere else except auto upshift at redline? most enthusiasts would go crazy at that thought...we wanna bounce off redline all day if we want to. no electronic nannies to hold us back...
Old Nov 24, 2007, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dklau33
no it will not it uses a DSG style gearbox 8 speeds!! http://www.lexus.com/isf/isf/specs.html
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo542
no it will not it uses a DSG style gearbox 8 speeds!! http://www.lexus.com/isf/isf/specs.html
DAMN 3700lbs curb weight.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FLK
Amazing stuff.

"The TC-SST of course has been designed to work with the Lancer Evolution MR's dynamic handling systems. In any of the three drive modes, the TCM continuously take input from engine operating parameters, including engine speed and torque, as well as information from the Super-All-Wheel Control system. The driver can expect, therefore, that the TC-SST will select the best gear for any given cornering situation."

I think that answers a few questions about the tuning potential of the SST. Like I've said before - it shouldn't matter what kind of mod you are throwing at the X, as long as the ECU is tuned and can take advantage of it, the SST will respond accordingly because shift patterns are dictated by ECU parameters, not directly by the mod.

So the SST is very adaptable in a wide power range. All that remains is how high that range can go / what amount of torque it can sustain reliably.
I agree. Really, power changes and different power delivery shouldn't effect the gearbox. What would effect it, or might possibly be hard to take advantage of, is a redline increase. Considering that is one of the top three things to do with the current, or previous year model Evo(s), it may be a bit of a problem.

But the transmission is dictating its shifts based on data it is requesting from a variety of sensors, not just a concrete program that dictates when its supposed to shift, so modifying the car shouldn't be an issue.....

UNTIL! The maximum output of the tranny is reached. Considering VW's tranny is fairly weak by comparison, and USDM Evo's have had a history of so/so tranny performance, hopefully they have built a nice, beefy tranny for the X.

The weight dictates so! HAHAHA.

Great post, great find.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo542

Check your facts. The 8-speed tranny is still a torque converter slush box albeit a very good one. Here's some examples.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2008-lexus-is-f.html

Originally Posted by LeftLaneNews
A new torque-converter lock-up control was developed that allows for a direct, crisp gear change through the constant lock-up of the torque converter in second through eighth gears.

In Drive mode, the IS-F transmission performs smoothly, and the torque converter allows for quick 0-60 acceleration in less than 4.9 seconds. The transmission also features a manual mode operated via a pair of paddles.
http://www.caranddriver.com/autoshow...exus-is-f.html

Originally Posted by Car and Driver
The engine is teamed with a modified version of the LS460’s eight-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters and a torque converter revised for quicker shifts and rev-matched downshifts.

Quick Reply: SST Operation Explained