Notices

SST Operation Explained

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, the IS-F uses a very modified, and quicker/stronger shifting version of the 8 speed automatic transmission out of the LS series.

It is still fundamentally an automatic, any which way you slice it.

However, think about how many ultra fast automatic tranny drag cars there are out there. Done properly, they are actually pretty good.

Im surprised someone hasn't tried to adapt an automatic transmission from the Lancers to one of the drag cars running around....
Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

I heard the MR has the TC-SST and the regular has 5 and 6 speed manual?
Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVO8 WHOA
I heard the MR has the TC-SST and the regular has 5 and 6 speed manual?
At this point, for 2008 the MR will only have the TC-SST and the GSR will only have a 5-speed manual.

I think a lot of guys are dissappointed the MR won't have a manual tranny option. So, if was smart they would make that an option for the 2009 model year.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
At this point, for 2008 the MR will only have the TC-SST and the GSR will only have a 5-speed manual.

I think a lot of guys are dissappointed the MR won't have a manual tranny option. So, if was smart they would make that an option for the 2009 model year.
Mitsu...if you are reading this...I will DEFINITELY buy the X if you put a manual in the MR. You have my word .
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Ok, I got my flame suit on for this one.
I got this from January 08 issue of Sports Car International magazine.
This is from a review of Evo X.

"And as for the TC's much-touted magnesium shift paddles, well, I put those right between carbon-fiber tongue depressors and titanium back scratchers on the sensible-use-of-materials scale. The fact is, car companies inevitably pitch semi-autos as "sporty" precisely because that's what they aren't; no matter what the selector is made of or how many F1 cars use them, street machine paddle-shifters don't exist to enhance driving pleasure. They exist to sell cars to the ever-increasing millions who won't (or can't) deal with a clutch."

This paragraph cristalizes how I feel about stick or semi-auto debate.
However, I do understand the need for Mitsubishi to make their cars including our evos softer, gentler, and smoother in order to sell more cars to the masses.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sti2evo9mr

"And as for the TC's much-touted magnesium shift paddles, well, I put those right between carbon-fiber tongue depressors and titanium back scratchers on the sensible-use-of-materials scale. The fact is, car companies inevitably pitch semi-autos as "sporty" precisely because that's what they aren't; no matter what the selector is made of or how many F1 cars use them, street machine paddle-shifters don't exist to enhance driving pleasure. They exist to sell cars to the ever-increasing millions who won't (or can't) deal with a clutch."

This paragraph cristalizes how I feel about stick or semi-auto debate.
However, I do understand the need for Mitsubishi to make their cars including our evos softer, gentler, and smoother in order to sell more cars to the masses.
You can put your flame suit back in the closet. Considering that every Evo owner drives a stick currently, I think the majority favors manuals over autos anyway. I read that review yesterday and it was possibly the best one i've read so far and also cristalizes my feelings toward autos .
Old Nov 26, 2007, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

to me having an auto in a sports car is cheating....i mean shifting gears is part of the sports car experience...revving through the gears....hearing the engine...becoming one with the car...etc....lol...i mean an auto in a car is gonna make it quicker since the gear changing will be faster....and there is no room for driver error.....it's like people don't have to be drivers anymore....they are slowly taking all of the control away from us...soon enough cars will drive themselves...just look at all this crap on cars nowdays....hill start assist....cars that park themselves....hill decent control for automatics...it's cuz of all the bad drivers out there that can't drive....so if they take the control away from everyone that means no accidents....so it's gonna happen eventually..a lot of idiots out there that can't drive are the cause of this...haha...i mean they used to not even make automatic sports cars or trucks...now everyone that has one just about has an automatic...people are more interested in talking on a cell phone, eating, putting on makeup, etc. than driving a car..automatic makes it easier for them so that's what they want.....plus there's more traffic nowadays...but i still like driving a stick for some reason

most people like luxury cars...i can't stand them...that's why i love my evo ix....it's like one of the last old school cars made...it has personality and character.....i mean i'm afraid to sit in some cars nowdays....they are too nice ....the evo ix feels like home...not afraid to eat or drink in it or anything...lol.....these newer cars are like a rich person's house u go into and you feel like you can't even sit down on the furniture...i guess that's fine for a business man but i just work in an auto factory....fancy just isn't for me...i mean if u want fancy go get a lexus, acura, bmw, or mercedes...but that's just not my style....maybe mitsu should just come up with a luxury line of autos like the others have.....maybe it's just me but when i sit in a luxury car i just don't get the same feeling as sitting behind the wheel of the evo ix...it's just like this raw, stripped down, and pure feeling...and i love it

Last edited by kilgoja; Nov 26, 2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

^ I totally agree, if you want a car that drives itself hire a driver or get an S class...lol...the only cars that truly need autos are Luxury cars and SUV/Trucks

Last edited by Evozster; Nov 26, 2007 at 05:00 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sti2evo9mr

I bet nobody who drives a production X MR says that. The car that has been reviewed so far has a pre-production, not yet ready for prime-time shift algorhythm.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kilgoja
to me having an auto in a sports car is cheating....i mean shifting gears is part of the sports car experience...revving through the gears....hearing the engine...becoming one with the car...etc....lol...i mean an auto in a car is gonna make it quicker since the gear changing will be faster....and there is no room for driver error.....it's like people don't have to be drivers anymore....they are slowly taking all of the control away from us...soon enough cars will drive themselves...just look at all this crap on cars nowdays....hill start assist....cars that park themselves....hill decent control for automatics...it's cuz of all the bad drivers out there that can't drive....so if they take the control away from everyone that means no accidents....so it's gonna happen eventually..a lot of idiots out there that can't drive are the cause of this...haha...i mean they used to not even make automatic sports cars or trucks...now everyone that has one just about has an automatic...people are more interested in talking on a cell phone, eating, putting on makeup, etc. than driving a car..automatic makes it easier for them so that's what they want.....plus there's more traffic nowadays...but i still like driving a stick for some reason

most people like luxury cars...i can't stand them...that's why i love my evo ix....it's like one of the last old school cars made...it has personality and character.....i mean i'm afraid to sit in some cars nowdays....they are too nice ....the evo ix feels like home...not afraid to eat or drink in it or anything...lol.....these newer cars are like a rich person's house u go into and you feel like you can't even sit down on the furniture...i guess that's fine for a business man but i just work in an auto factory....fancy just isn't for me...i mean if u want fancy go get a lexus, acura, bmw, or mercedes...but that's just not my style....maybe mitsu should just come up with a luxury line of autos like the others have.....maybe it's just me but when i sit in a luxury car i just don't get the same feeling as sitting behind the wheel of the evo ix...it's just like this raw, stripped down, and pure feeling...and i love it
Ahhhh, its nice to know that there are still those in this forum that feel this way. F*ck autos, they don't belong in Evos. Period. Manual FTW...always.