Notices

New SST real max torque.

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2008, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, 400 whp that never breaks the tranny works for me. I just want to carve pins. run time trials and such.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJutsu
Seeing AMS put on bolt on parts( exhaust, intake, UICP, LICP, intercooler, MBC) and NO tune. They claimed around 300-310 whp which would mathematically put an estimate of 350 to 360 to the Crank. Now reliability, AMS says the car runs well and i take their word for it that the modifications they put on will not strain the SST transmission.

Now with the tune ( which no one has done yet or someone I'm sure is testing the SST limits). Would prolly push 300-310 whp car to about a good estimate of 350 whp - give or take 10 whp, which then would yield out almost close to 400 to the crank or even more.

Frankly, ppl want 350whp to the 400 whp range with the SST tyranny and ppl will be satisfied.

We'll just have to hope and see. The UK ppl with their MR or AMS will be the first ppl to tell the full potential of the SST tyranny.
The problem for higher hp (350-360+ at the crank) is going to be LONG-term reliability. Will the tranny give out b/f you've paid off the car? B/f the powertrain warranty is over? That's something nobody except Mitsu will have a clue about (since presumably they've done some high hp testing in-house) for a number of years.

Last edited by desperado-c; May 12, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any further developments on the discovery of the limitations on the SST?

For what its worth, this GT-R broke the tranny at 634 hp / 746 trq. You will recall that factory output is 480/430, so that is a 32% HP increase and a 73% torque increase. I'd guess it was the additional 315 ft lbs that did in the tranny.

Applying those same percentages to the SST might tell us that at 384 hp and 519 trq the SST may implode.

Has anyone seen any dyno pulls by modified SST equipped X's?

Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Any further developments on the discovery of the limitations on the SST?

For what its worth, this GT-R broke the tranny at 634 hp / 746 trq. You will recall that factory output is 480/430, so that is a 32% HP increase and a 73% torque increase. I'd guess it was the additional 315 ft lbs that did in the tranny.
The tranny case of the GTR cracked due to excessive wheel hop, not from too much torque. But anyways, all clutches are generally rated by a torque capacity. So if 347 lb-ft of torque (at the crank) is what the MR tranny clutches are rated to hold, that's what it'll hold reliabily. Granted, increasing the torque and power past stock levels will probably mess up the shift calibration a bit.

There is some safety factor built-in, but anything past the rated 347 lb-ft limit, and you can expect the clutch life to be shortened. If you go way past it, you can expect the clutches to slip. There have been a few MRs on the dyno with slipping clutches already.

It'll still hold a significant amount of power: 347 lb-ft @7k rpms = 462.5hp

Last edited by spdracerut; Dec 24, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 05:40 PM

Yeah im getting into an MR and am a bit worried about the lack of information on the tranny.

I am hoping that it will deal with bolt ons just fine. (as i dont see a turbo swap happening until it is paid off in full) So far it would appear that the MR can handle bolt ons and a tune just fine, which if that ends up being the case it will make one awesome Daily driver...
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by HighWayDrifter
Yeah im getting into an MR and am a bit worried about the lack of information on the tranny.

I am hoping that it will deal with bolt ons just fine. (as i dont see a turbo swap happening until it is paid off in full) So far it would appear that the MR can handle bolt ons and a tune just fine, which if that ends up being the case it will make one awesome Daily driver...
I would just tune the boost curve so that you never see more than ~290 lb-ft of torque at the wheels. That's still ~387whp at 7000rpms assuming you upgrade to a turbo that can flow that much at redline.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will it blend?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
Will it blend?
Nope. No bolt on blenders available yet. You've got to go with a stand alone.

Old Dec 25, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
It'll still hold a significant amount of power: 347 lb-ft @7k rpms = 462.5hp
Where did you get the 7,000 rpm number?

I think an X will hit peak torque closer to 4,000rpm, which gives us a max HP of 264. OUCH!

Even using, say, 5,000 rpm for trq peak only gives us a 330 HP limit.

So, the secret to modding an EVO X MR may be a PT67R turbo. That should give about 460hp and 325 ft-lb at 7,000rpm. BWAHAHAHHHH!!!

If all this is true, then I must conclude the SST is weaksauce!!!

Old Dec 25, 2008, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

^
But it shifts sooo nice!

Hmmm... an EVO and a Prius? In Tucson?
Old Dec 25, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jim in Tucson
Where did you get the 7,000 rpm number?
Thats the stock redline right? Assuming you had a big enough turbo to keep that torque at redline, you'd make that much power
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:13 AM

Dont have any dynopulls of my X MR yet,but real world experience is that mine with 3 people inside the car is as fast as a 997 Carrera S (Which is 385horses and a lot lighter then the X).......

0-200km/h is 16 sec(without LC),stock its over 22sek......still with only catback exhaust,filterinsert and remap via ecutek software.

Car runs awesome,so much better then stock,transmission works fine,no strange shiftpoints,perfect.......

Alex
Old Apr 23, 2009, 08:21 AM

i have a evo x mr i will be doing some upgrades next week :kelford stage 2 cams with valve spring, down pipe, test pipe, air intake with piping, boost controller,fuel pump, 880cc injector, plus tune my goal is to make 360whp and 340wtq lets hope the tranny holds up. question do anyone out their have similar mods to a evo x mr and did the tranny hold up
Old Apr 23, 2009, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by blackja007
i have a evo x mr i will be doing some upgrades next week :kelford stage 2 cams with valve spring, down pipe, test pipe, air intake with piping, boost controller,fuel pump, 880cc injector, plus tune my goal is to make 360whp and 340wtq lets hope the tranny holds up. question do anyone out their have similar mods to a evo x mr and did the tranny hold up
Your tranny will fail if you run that much power on it. Check out the posts on https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...s-release.html

Read the press release. They just tested the SST to its limits.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by voodooman79
Your tranny will fail if you run that much power on it. Check out the posts on https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mi...s-release.html

Read the press release. They just tested the SST to its limits.
Maybe you should read the press release. They stated that they are releasing an updated clutch pack with a TQ capacity of 438 lb/ft @200 degrees F:

The RT discs are meant for customers who want more power than their existing discs will handle, and will handle high horsepower application with a TQ rating of 438 Ft/Lbs of TQ @200 Degrees F.
They go on to note that a higher capacity option will be coming afterward.

edit: the point being that the PR states nothing about the limits of the tranny - just the specs for the clutch packs they are releasing. I'm looking forward to that transmission cooling pack, though am not sure about the $2200 pricetag.

Last edited by mrMTB; Apr 23, 2009 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: New SST real max torque.