Notices

MR SST and high WHP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:32 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR SST and high WHP

Hey everyone, I used to own a fully built 500whp G35 5AT and I had to get the transmission built my SGP. I recently picked up an Evo X MR and I can't seem to find any info on the SST holding up with over 400whp. Has anyone had any issues? What are some of the highest whp MR's on the forum. I found one around 350whp and 370tq I believe. My goals for the MR are around 450whp, but I wanted to get some info regarding the durability of the SST. Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

There is no concrete information at this time. There are a handful of Evos in Asia running in the low to mid 400 whp range without issues, and only a handful (two that I've seen reports of) TC-SST failures (both in the US - one an RA, the other a midly modded Evo).

There is a company who is looking for a donor car so that they can start making upgraded clutch packs, but otherwise you'll be blazing the trail yourself.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah there is still no concrete idea on how much whp the tc-sst can handle. There are companies like XtremeBoost and SSP that are looking for donor cars to R&D the clutch packs. I have the same goals as the OP but I'm going to hold out serious modding until these become available.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
whp is not the thing to be concerned with for a dual-clutch transmission. The clutch packs are engineered to hold a certain amount of torque. I believe the SST is rated to handle 350 or 370 lb-ft of torque at its limit. If you plan to go beyond that, you'll have to upgrade the clutch packs. Unfortunately, I don't believe upgraded clutch packs are available yet.

Don't worry though. Dual-clutch tranmissions can handle a ton of torque. Just look at the Bugatti Veyron or the Nissan GT-R. You just have to ensure the clutch packs are made for the job.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
whp is not the thing to be concerned with for a dual-clutch transmission. The clutch packs are engineered to hold a certain amount of torque. I believe the SST is rated to handle 350 or 370 lb-ft of torque at its limit. If you plan to go beyond that, you'll have to upgrade the clutch packs. Unfortunately, I don't believe upgraded clutch packs are available yet.

Don't worry though. Dual-clutch tranmissions can handle a ton of torque. Just look at the Bugatti Veyron or the Nissan GT-R. You just have to ensure the clutch packs are made for the job.
there working on it!! im so happy that there finally doing upgrade to the clutches! check this thread out.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-underway.html
Old Apr 6, 2009, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by adambl03

The dual-clutch on the Mr might have similar operation design as the Veyron, but they are world apart in terms of torque capacity.

It would be cool & will lay to rest (in terms of performance) the traditional Manual in the GSR if we had the one similar to the mighty Veyron. But I bet the unit in the Veryon must have cost a bomb too.

It will take a few iterations in the SST before it can go toe to toe with the capicity of traditional manual or the ones on say in the GT-R. As of now, even the ones on GT-R can't handle hard launch.

Last edited by kiadaw; Apr 6, 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you cant be sure of the reliability of these trannys with high HP, whats the point? Until there are upgrades available, SST owners should probably avoid decking out the power too much as blowing one of those puppies up appears to be quite costly...
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:14 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
we have made 380whp on an MR and the tranny starts to limit HP.. the ecu closes the TB to limit TQ and HP.. Not sure of any work arounds just yet..

MIke
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike@AwdMotorsports
we have made 380whp on an MR and the tranny starts to limit HP.. the ecu closes the TB to limit TQ and HP.. Not sure of any work arounds just yet..

MIke
ECUFlash ??

I have 5 new tables all relating to SST controls ..

No idea what they are .. but 1 of them I am quite sure is what you're referring to .. it starts trimming airflow above 6500rpm ..