Notices

TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
voodoo is paying to have it done, I'm proving that anyone can do it them selfs and creating a how to for the DIYer
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

okay so I decided to start posting a few pics, here is the stuff that will need to get done no matter how the transmission get removed.

1) remove under tray
2) remove drivers side (LH) wheels and inner fender
3) Drain Transmission
4) Remove Drivers side (LH) tie rod end
5) Remove Drivers side (LH) sway bar end link
6) 4 and 5 allow for you to pull the axel out of the transmission ( you need to be gentle and pry the boot form the large side, it will expose internals, you should bag these, DO NOT GET DIRT IN THE GREASE
7) disconnect and drain OEm trans cooler, block ends and tie out up of the way.

And now pics of my setup and of these steps, more to come.

Attached Thumbnails TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260003.jpg   TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260002.jpg   TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260005.jpg   TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260009.jpg   TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260006.jpg  

Last edited by TheSin; Jul 27, 2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

couple more pics of these stages.

Attached Thumbnails TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260007.jpg   TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production-p7260008.jpg  
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

You are my hero right now
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
Evolving Member

thanks snoar, my goal here is after this is said an done to create a good howto for others but not only that I'm trying to do it with only home garage tools and room and without having to remove the engine or drain any other fluids so that it's totally doable for all SST owners! Not sure if I'll meet all that but i will be trying to
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Great to see the challenge has started lol. Just wondering, you said to bag the internals exposed. What all did you bag? maybe post pic of bagged stuff??
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

I forgot to take that pic but in my very last pic, I bagged both sides where you see the exposed grease, normally the boot protects those ends from contaminates. Anything that gets in there will cause it to wear and now one wants that. I'm hoping to reuse that boot strap but I might re strap it to be safe we'll see at reassembly time I was very careful not to bend or stretch the strap. ONce I get the tranny out I might see how the other end comes out and recommend leaving the boot intact. But since I have no idea how it comes out at this point that is how I did it.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you are the man, cant wait to see the results.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Do the inner axle cups not pop out of the trans like a 5 speed? I have never seen anyone split the inner cv from the cup to pull a trans.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

I was hoping it would but when I started to pull on it the separation happened in the boot, they might come out once the SST is out and I can have a better look at it I'm gonna see if it was a bad choice or not and I'll make sure to post it here so others don't do it

Sure would be nice to have an AMS cooler to replace the stock while doing this
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

man great job so far but i dont have the right tools, and this car is my baby i almost cried trying to replace the drop-in filter :P
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheSin
I was hoping it would but when I started to pull on it the separation happened in the boot, they might come out once the SST is out and I can have a better look at it I'm gonna see if it was a bad choice or not and I'll make sure to post it here so others don't do it

you are the man! keep up the good work.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pcasupreme
man great job so far but i dont have the right tools, and this car is my baby i almost cried trying to replace the drop-in filter :P
so far no special tools have been used I keep them all out so I can take a pic of required tools, so far it's just and allen key, 14mm wrenches and sockets mostly. Few other sizes for the tie rod end and getting the strut off the knuckle, and a flat screw driver to remove the 500 push clips from the under tray and inner fender
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
so far no special tools have been used I keep them all out so I can take a pic of required tools, so far it's just and allen key, 14mm wrenches and sockets mostly. Few other sizes for the tie rod end and getting the strut off the knuckle, and a flat screw driver to remove the 500 push clips from the under tray and inner fender
You can probably get the inner axle shaft to come out with a slide hammer. It's not all that uncommon for inner shafts to get really tight in the splines.

Worst case senario is you will have to spend an extra 15 minutes building up the shaft before re- installation. Likely not a big deal. You will probably need to replace the band that holds the boot on to the cup though. They are usually one use clamps.

By the way, thanks in advance for taking the time to document your install. I know many of us appreciate the hell out of it.

Last edited by kozmic27; Jul 28, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

yeah that is what I figure on it too, I just want to get the tranny out then I'll figure out the axel and boot, I was pretty carful with the band but I don't mind replacing it if I have to, it's a learning curve till it's all documented anyhow I just can't wait to get into the SST!

Quick Reply: TheSin's TC-SST Project an SSP Production