Notices

MR transmission issue.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR transmission issue.

I have an 08 X MR. Car got into a slow speed collision couple of weeks ago (10-20 MPH) rear ended someone. Right away the car stopped going into gears. It would go into park and neutral, but none of the other gears would engage. check engine light was on, ABS light came on. (I think ABS light did come on, but airbags were not deployed)

I got the car towed to the body shop first, because local dealer said that he couldn't look at it for next 7-8 days, so I thought I'd get the bumper cover fixed, because it was only thing that was badly damaged, rest of the car seemed fine.

So after the body shop fixed the car, I had it towed to the local dealer. After 2 days I called them to find out whats going on and the person I spoke to said "Ummm you need a transmission" I was bit surprised and I asked "why?" and their answer "the part that has gone bad costs $9000" and I asked "may I know what part that is?" and they couldn't provide me an answer because "Tech who worked on the car has gone home" and asked me to call in the morning.

So I am going to drive there myself in the morning and ask them to explain the diagnoses and that's what I am here for, before I go up there, I want to know what kind of questions should I ask them? Whether there are parts or electronics they have checked or have the tried resetting certain module...?

Its also important to point out that I purchased this car from an insurance company after it had been stolen and vandalized. Car was put back together to its factory condition, but it was considered a total loss, so no warranty.

I spoke with a friend, who posts here (Evo Dave), and he asked whether the car had been towed by a truck without a flatbed? NO. car has always been on a flatbed for the 3 times I had to get a towed now. It was also put into neutral before towing.

I would appreciate any help.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Your TC-SST is probably fubared, that's what costs $9000. I honestly have no idea what the actual cost for an entire SST would be from a dealer, but 9k is a decent bet for some random body shop.

You need to get it to a dealer or to a real shop that knows something, period. I would get it to a dealer, and wait what they say, as most shops aren't going to have a whole lot (read: any) experience with this type of transmission.

So I am going to drive there myself in the morning and ask them to explain the diagnoses and that's what I am here for, before I go up there, I want to know what kind of questions should I ask them? Whether there are parts or electronics they have checked or have the tried resetting certain module...?
Honestly, I wouldn't ask them a damn thing. It's a BODY SHOP, not a transmission specialty place, and, frankly, even most normal transmission shops aren't going to be able to tell you dick about the MR's tranny.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:13 PM

naa dont believe that my friend crashed his, bad enough to think it was totaled, anyhow he said after the crash the sst will only allow a max speed of 25mph as safety measure so u dont damage the drivetrain or attempt to drive with the accident untill its properly fixed..

to fix this lock out issue the car needs to be brought to the mitsu dealer where they do chasis tests, and drivetrain tests before they disable the lockout codes.. doesnt seem to be a very good repair shop, they should know this, hope this helps
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hotdog
Your TC-SST is probably fubared, that's what costs $9000. I honestly have no idea what the actual cost for an entire SST would be from a dealer, but 9k is a decent bet for some random body shop.

You need to get it to a dealer or to a real shop that knows something, period. I would get it to a dealer, and wait what they say, as most shops aren't going to have a whole lot (read: any) experience with this type of transmission.

Honestly, I wouldn't ask them a damn thing. It's a BODY SHOP, not a transmission specialty place, and, frankly, even most normal transmission shops aren't going to be able to tell you dick about the MR's tranny.

So after the body shop fixed the car, I had it towed to the local dealer.
The local dealer diagnose said the tranny needed replacing...not the body shop.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 04:47 PM
Evolved Member

Ah, my bad.

Hah, re-reading it then, I'd say you're fubared
Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
hfm

your insurance won't cover it?
Old Sep 30, 2009, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds real weak... If they said the tranny needs replacing than I guess your out of luck unless you want to pay for another tow to another local dealer for a second opinion. Best bet is to look online for someone who totaled their car but did minimal damage to the tranny and see how much they want for it. Look it over and see if some parts need rebuilt/replaced and then try the swap yourself, or pay the dealer to do it. Dealer markup on prices are pretty steep, so at least if you do some of the extraction and or installation yourself youll save some $$$... Just my .02
Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:16 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

I did drive to the dealership today. I spoke with the tech who worked on my car, apparently he never said that I need a new transmission. He said he hasn't even gotten the car's engine running properly, due to a punctured IC pipe. They have ordered the lower IC pipe and said 'jury is still out on this one'

They are estimating that they should have a full diagnoses by Tuesday next week, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

I don't know why I was told that I need a new transmission. The person who told me that just shrugged when I asked.

Anyway, I hope jury's verdict would be in my favor. Will keep you guys updated.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:08 PM
Evolving Member

wow.... what is the SST ? does all evo;s have this or only the X ?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by overdrive1
wow.... what is the SST ? does all evo;s have this or only the X ?

u serious?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
u serious?
Nothing else one could say about that question.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WolvieDC
u serious?
yup serious, Ive never owned an EVO..... just lookin to buy one.... ive never heard of a 9k tranny part breaking in any car.....
Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kenpo1441
never mind .... i just wiki'd it, looks like im way out of touch..... looks like its the IX for me.....

Last edited by overdrive1; Oct 2, 2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 3, 2009, 10:13 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kenpo1441
Nope.... Actually just spending too much time in OT where u have to assume sarcasm first :-)
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by overdrive1
never mind .... i just wiki'd it, looks like im way out of touch..... looks like its the IX for me.....
Get a X GSR if you are so concerned.