Notices

Recommend Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend Transmission Cooler?

So I've been contemplating upgrading my Transmission Cooler and was wondering what other alternatives I have other then AMS? I run AMS LICP and was told that there setup will not fit properly running there own LICP...

Anyone running an alternate SST Cooler (not AMS) have some feedback or recommendation?

I think Mitsubishi's design isn't really all that poor (I know the core size is small but not insufficient) , but there location/placement of the cooler was not well thought out. Anyone running the stock or alt SST Cooler in another location (such as front of car somewhere mounted to the front bumper beam?

Thanks!

Last edited by HR2L; Oct 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:35 PM
Evolving Member

SSP frount mount cooler kit with deep sump pan is the way to go if you got the cash and want to make serious power.

http://www.maperformance.com/south-s...oler-evox.html
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weebles
SSP frount mount cooler kit with deep sump pan is the way to go if you got the cash and want to make serious power.

http://www.maperformance.com/south-s...oler-evox.html
LEGIT! Thanks for the linky! Nice piece. Will be picking this up! Deeo Pan and Cooler FTMFW!!!
Old Oct 9, 2009, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HR2L
LEGIT! Thanks for the linky! Nice piece. Will be picking this up! Deeo Pan and Cooler FTMFW!!!
Also, if you're looking to make big amounts of hp in the MR you'll want to consider the SSP clutch pack.

http://www.maperformance.com/south-s...lutchdisc.html
Old Oct 9, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weebles
Also, if you're looking to make big amounts of hp in the MR you'll want to consider the SSP clutch pack.

http://www.maperformance.com/south-s...lutchdisc.html
Knew about these, only problem is that there is no one in my area that is willing to touch (Except dealer, and even they wont open it up) the SST Transmission to do the clutchpack install. I'll give it till sometime after the new year, and im sure there will be shops (hoping GST) will want to do this. May even think about core swap from SSP.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Our LICP will work with the cooler, however you will have to space the LICP down a little bit. This can be done by making a bracket to lower the mounting point on the side of the radiator support about 1.5-2". I am waiting to get a car here at the shop so I can finalize something and get it up for sale.
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SSP Kris
HR2L where are you located? We would be glad to help you find a installation facility for our clutch discs and or front mount transmission cooler.

Kris
Located in San Jose, CA. I think Mike @ GST has a great transmission guy they use to do work on there L track car. Might speak to him about doing the work. He is the "Truth" around these parts from what I understand. If you know of alt businesses though I wouldn't mind knowing as well.

Thanks!
Old Oct 12, 2009, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
Our LICP will work with the cooler, however you will have to space the LICP down a little bit. This can be done by making a bracket to lower the mounting point on the side of the radiator support about 1.5-2". I am waiting to get a car here at the shop so I can finalize something and get it up for sale.
That would be stellar! Really like SSP's Transmission cooler with Deep Pan, but it might be a bit of an overkill for my needs (really don't track the car, but do take it out for some spirited drives in mtn. ranges around my place).

Please keep me in mind when you guy's release an extension bracket for your cooler!

Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 02:48 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
... HR2L, there are a ton of companies coming out with coolers (blitz, Robispec, hks, etc). Not to mention you can easily make your own like gunzo did. I'd rather have a front mount SST cooler myself. This is the path i'm going to take. So far no one has really made a front mount above the IC.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Agreed. I would consider a SSP cooler too.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Any cooler you choose is going to have a hard time beating the Setrab unit that the SSP kit uses, and the kit is top notch.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:01 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
What makes it so great? $1500 is really hard to swallow for a cooler.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Going to talk to Tommy @ GST and have him fabricate a front mounted transmission cooler for me using the the Setrab core. Im sure I can get the pieces and labor for far under $1500. The SSP Deep Pan though is cherry!

Have to save a bit of coin for that bling!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

HR2L keep use posted!!!
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

i have the AMS licp with the AMS cooler....

Quick Reply: Recommend Transmission Cooler?