Notices

Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People that have been inside these transmissions are few are far in between. Honestly I would talk to someone at ssp about it, maybe they know how to take out the solenoid and inspect it? I know the information for rebuilding one of these is also difficult to find.

Originally Posted by philamthebest
So after really thinking about this carefully i figure it cant be mechanical. I blew my trans after around 18000-19000 miles after which Mitsu replaced this and now the car has 22k. The trans was working fine and then one day it randomly started acting up. There is new clutch discs in there to show that it cant be mechanical.

Something is holding the gears from changing and that is the computers job. The computer in the car controls the shifting. One of the CELS was solenoid one being restrictive.

Ok so the car has been modded, but i have seen many other cars with more power and no slipping issues. After having brand new clutch discs in there with less than 20 miles on them has to show that it CANT be the trans...

i don't think having the tcu cracked for upgraded shifting is what i need either... NOt sure whats going on but i'm trying to figure this out logically....
Old Mar 15, 2010, 04:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
People that have been inside these transmissions are few are far in between. Honestly I would talk to someone at ssp about it, maybe they know how to take out the solenoid and inspect it? I know the information for rebuilding one of these is also difficult to find.
You take apart a perfectly working gearbox .. you don't learn much

you don't need to take out the solenoids .. I've done that .. they are as robust as you can find them ..

I am betting with your expertise in engines .. you have nothing to fear

Trust me on this
Old Mar 15, 2010, 07:37 AM

My question is. Has anyone performed any electronic diag on you car to try to figure this out? any one checked data while driving the car to see what might be happening. Lots of possibilities that could cause trans shifting issues. You could have a bad engine sensor that could cause trans issues. If the data the TCM is seeing is wrong could cause lots of problems. Possible ground issues. I would take it to mitsubishi and have them try to pinpoint the problem. It might cost a couple hundred dollars for the diag. Pretty cheap to know whats going on. You just need to get a technician thats not lazy and just says it the trans and stops. If the tech says that it a trans issue he should be able to explain what failed in the trans. Problem is their are alot of lazy techs out their. Good luck. I wish you wern't so far, I whould like to take a crack at figuring it out.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:27 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't know why if this is electronic it cant be fixed? It's NOT the transmission as there is a brand new trans in there so how could it be mechanical??

Does ANYONE have any idea how to look at the electronic side of things with this car? I need to look at the electronic side of things and tackle it that way. Mechanically it's sound, and everything looks good inside.

I dont mind loosing on the car, and i'm glad in many ways i pushed the car to the limits to show how weak the MR really is. It's not a car to be modded clearly....

I'm glad everyone is being honest in here, however this thread was to show my project at first and now it's to show how you shouldnt push the MR's. I just hope people reconisder when modding the cars...
So after really thinking about this carefully i figure it cant be mechanical. I blew my trans after around 18000-19000 miles after which Mitsu replaced this and now the car has 22k. The trans was working fine and then one day it randomly started acting up. There is new clutch discs in there to show that it cant be mechanical.

Something is holding the gears from changing and that is the computers job. The computer in the car controls the shifting. One of the CELS was solenoid one being restrictive.

All do respect, I completely disagree with your first statement. It's obvious it isn't mechanical. Therefor the hardware can take the upgrades, it's just figuring out the software. Getrag has people that know it, people like Bryan (GST), HB Speed, and Gunzo have been doing a lot of work trying to figure this thing out. As soon as it's figured out, it will be ready for some major hardcore modding. It's just not there yet. You make it sound like it never will be there and calling it weak. It's not weak, it's programmed to be the way it is. It is by design. I mean that's like saying the first Evo VIII was a horrible car to modify because no one knew how to crack the ECU. Now look at them, some are 1100whp plus.

I understand you're upset, but the MR has so much potential to be a speedfreak, I don't think it's fair to call the MR weak at all. Someone just needs to figure out your electrical problems and be done with it. You knew the electronic limitations going in... so this shouldn't be a surprise to you.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Didn't you expect all of these issues when you went into this? You're modifying a first model year vehicle in a way nobody else ever has. IMO, you just need a bit more patience. You've been this patient so far! Your sacrifice will make things much easier for others down the road. Giving up now just means it may never get done.

Good luck!!!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

Wow sorry to hear about this...I just read through this entire thread and even im getting frustrated! I cant imagine how you must feel. If it were me id strip everything and put back to stock and trade it in for a GSR. Take your loss and move on.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

This thread isn't to cause arguments between people, it's to show of this problem and make people aware! You're right, the software is the answer here and I need someone who knows the software to help me with my issue. As i stated before, the issue is electronic not mechanical, that we can be sure on.

I'm calling the car weak, because in MY INSTANCE it has been nothing but weak. Sure the engine is completely durable and strong but the trans not so much. Show me an MR that can make as much power as Ryan Gate's or AMS's Evo X and i'll take my word back. I really hope you're right by saying the Evo x will be a speedfreak because i would love it to be as you can tell from my sig i wish it was. I'm one of the guys who want's to get the MR's up where the GSR's are. This issue that has happened to me has just disheartened me. I knew of the electronic LIMITATIONS, but no one has had this issue yet, if they had then we would be able to fix this problem and i wouldn't need to worry about this daily.

I hope i didn't offend anyone in this thread by calling the trans weak, but i can only go on what i know and what i know is my car.

Originally Posted by migs647
All do respect, I completely disagree with your first statement. It's obvious it isn't mechanical. Therefor the hardware can take the upgrades, it's just figuring out the software. Getrag has people that know it, people like Bryan (GST), HB Speed, and Gunzo have been doing a lot of work trying to figure this thing out. As soon as it's figured out, it will be ready for some major hardcore modding. It's just not there yet. You make it sound like it never will be there and calling it weak. It's not weak, it's programmed to be the way it is. It is by design. I mean that's like saying the first Evo VIII was a horrible car to modify because no one knew how to crack the ECU. Now look at them, some are 1100whp plus.

I understand you're upset, but the MR has so much potential to be a speedfreak, I don't think it's fair to call the MR weak at all. Someone just needs to figure out your electrical problems and be done with it. You knew the electronic limitations going in... so this shouldn't be a surprise to you.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

I think this is my next move, i need to take it to mitsu.... I didn't want to but it's all i have left lol.... I need someone who has hada closer look at the software with these transmissions take a look at the problem. If anyone is willing to do so, let me know....

Originally Posted by EVSEVO8
My question is. Has anyone performed any electronic diag on you car to try to figure this out? any one checked data while driving the car to see what might be happening. Lots of possibilities that could cause trans shifting issues. You could have a bad engine sensor that could cause trans issues. If the data the TCM is seeing is wrong could cause lots of problems. Possible ground issues. I would take it to mitsubishi and have them try to pinpoint the problem. It might cost a couple hundred dollars for the diag. Pretty cheap to know whats going on. You just need to get a technician thats not lazy and just says it the trans and stops. If the tech says that it a trans issue he should be able to explain what failed in the trans. Problem is their are alot of lazy techs out their. Good luck. I wish you wern't so far, I whould like to take a crack at figuring it out.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

if it isn't the Solenoid, why was there a cel for solenoid 1? Have you had a close look at the solenoids? Where are they located?

Originally Posted by gunzo
You take apart a perfectly working gearbox .. you don't learn much

you don't need to take out the solenoids .. I've done that .. they are as robust as you can find them ..

I am betting with your expertise in engines .. you have nothing to fear

Trust me on this
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

So this happened before the clutch install? Then the clutch upgrade had nothing to do with the gears acting funny?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Exactly, it was acting up before the new clutch install..... Hence how we know its electronic.

Originally Posted by RallyGoneEvo
So this happened before the clutch install? Then the clutch upgrade had nothing to do with the gears acting funny?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:52 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I hope i didn't offend anyone in this thread by calling the trans weak, but i can only go on what i know and what i know is my car.
No offense taken here, I just would like you to understand the transmission itself isn't weak (as you've admitted from a hardware standpoint). You couldn't call the 4G63 weak because people couldn't crack the ECU in 2003. You know what I'm saying? Once the TCU is cracked then we'll know how weak the transmission is. From the sounds of it of the people that have been in it, it's a very well built transmission.

I know you're dis-heartened. You should really keep your nose to the grindstone and get this figured out. It's only going to benefit the whole community in the end. I wish you the best of luck in either direction.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

This whole thing is very disheartning. I really need some software help here and i hope there is someone out there to do this. We CAN make the MR's strong but we just have to find the software issues.... Any advice on the next steps?

Originally Posted by migs647
No offense taken here, I just would like you to understand the transmission itself isn't weak (as you've admitted from a hardware standpoint). You couldn't call the 4G63 weak because people couldn't crack the ECU in 2003. You know what I'm saying? Once the TCU is cracked then we'll know how weak the transmission is. From the sounds of it of the people that have been in it, it's a very well built transmission.

I know you're dis-heartened. You should really keep your nose to the grindstone and get this figured out. It's only going to benefit the whole community in the end. I wish you the best of luck in either direction.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Try contacting getrag? lol..
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
could it be that the new clutch packs were installed in a wrong way?

Quick Reply: Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild