Notices

Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:33 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsimon27
could it be that the new clutch packs were installed in a wrong way?
That's an interesting thought...

I know on motorcycles the steels have to be facing a specific way. There is a sharp side and a rounded side on the teeth. If the sharp side is facing towards the boss, it won't slide smoothly and will get hung up. Sucks it's so hard to check.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by migs647
That's an interesting thought...

I know on motorcycles the steels have to be facing a specific way. There is a sharp side and a rounded side on the teeth. If the sharp side is facing towards the boss, it won't slide smoothly and will get hung up. Sucks it's so hard to check.
yep this is what aim thinking bad instalation of the clutch packs
if he could try with another gearbox but one that is stock then he would know what the problem is!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, because the car had this problem even before the new clutch pack was installed. It makes sense but it wouldn't drive at all would it... I will have to check on this but as stated i dont think its mechanical

Originally Posted by jrsimon27
could it be that the new clutch packs were installed in a wrong way?

Last edited by philamthebest; Mar 15, 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Did it occur after any specific installation? Or just out of the blue?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

find a computer nerd and put him to work....ive seen ppl crack into computers...why would this one be any different?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gaabbee
find a computer nerd and put him to work....ive seen ppl crack into computers...why would this one be any different?
I was thinking the same thing
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gunzo
its next to impossible for your gearbox to be 'missing' items .. because it's a sealed unit from getrag

you have this issue (trans slippage or free revving I assume) even when its stock ie the gearbox has not been taken apart ..

Lastly .. if your symptoms are such
- gearbox warming up .. no issues
- fluid temp rises / heated .. gears start slipping the moment you boost
- stuck in 1 gear sometimes .. sometimes refused to shift
- sometime you get CEL and the gear is jammed .. ie you slow down and the engine dies (like it never declutched)
- at highway speeds .. as you accelerate .. your rpm increases but the speed remains or increases very slowly .. then followed by free revving shortly ..

You have an electronic problem

They weren't internal parts to the trans that were missing.....just some of the bolts that hold it in place. A couple 17mm and a 14mm if memory serves me correctly.

Kris and I agree, this is definitely a electronic issue. The transmission's been fully looked over, has new clutches, seals, and filter. It's doing the same thing now that the OP was having issues with before we (SSP) got the car.

-Jeremy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Well AMS are going to check the valve body and wiring. Jeremy, you work in the shop at SSP? did you see inside the trans? Do you know if the wiring was checked?

Originally Posted by jsr426
They weren't internal parts to the trans that were missing.....just some of the bolts that hold it in place. A couple 17mm and a 14mm if memory serves me correctly.

Kris and I agree, this is definitely a electronic issue. The transmission's been fully looked over, has new clutches, seals, and filter. It's doing the same thing now that the OP was having issues with before we (SSP) got the car.

-Jeremy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by philamthebest
Well AMS are going to check the valve body and wiring. Jeremy, you work in the shop at SSP? did you see inside the trans? Do you know if the wiring was checked?
I''m located in Maryland at a different location, so I didn't see your transmission first hand. but Kris has sent me tons of pictures. I'm not sure what you mean buy "checking the wiring" but Kris did thoroughly go over the transmission.

-Jeremy
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Alright myself and Chris went and test drove the car this morning, after reading through this thread and reading a little more into the evo x service manual I wanted to see what was going on for myself. At the moment the car has absolutely no check engine lights. We drove it around for about 15 minutes, we let it warm up a bit and eventually started getting into it a little more. It was hitting all gears like it should but it seemed as the transmission warmed up it began to slip more and more under any boost. It felt exactly like a standard transmission car when the clutch is bad. The rpms shoot up and the speed doesn't.

At this point I really don't think this is an electrical issue. The trans is slipping and there are no DTC's. If anyone else has any ideas on something to check with this thing feel free to PM me. We however don't feel comfortable digging into the transmission as information is very scarce on the Mitsubishi SST transmissions. The service manual's SST transmission "overhaul" section is basically prepping a new transmission for install.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:54 AM
EvoM Community Team

Hey Scott...

Has anyone watched the transmission temp as it's being driven? I believe the TCU has a protection mode to start slipping if it heats up. Eventually it goes into full limp mode.

Also is there an aftermarket cooler on it? (nevermind see there is an AMS trans cooler)

Also I wanted to point out... I had a canadian kawasaki race bike (it was cheaper to buy in canada at one point). And the clutch was SLIGHTLY different. There was an extra washer under the clutch basket. This made a .5m difference. When I'd start a race the clutch would be fine. By the middle of the race the clutch was slipping more and more. It was off by just enough to make it work fine for the first few minutes then it'd go nuts. Is it possible there is something in there to where the clutch isn't the proper height when heated?

Last edited by migs647; Mar 16, 2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

There is a light that comes on when the transmission senses it is heating up. It says "Slow Down", that light didn't come on at all.

Originally Posted by migs647
Hey Scott...

Has anyone watched the transmission temp as it's being driven? I believe the TCU has a protection mode to start slipping if it heats up. Eventually it goes into full limp mode.

Also is there an aftermarket cooler on it? (nevermind see there is an AMS trans cooler)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 11:02 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
There is a light that comes on when the transmission senses it is heating up. It says "Slow Down", that light didn't come on at all.
But is it an off or on stage or does it gradually start slipping? I think it'd be interesting to monitor the heat of the transmission to the point where it starts slipping.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

I don't understand as they are brand new clutches I have the old clutches as well, but it's the same issue. The clutch discs cant be bad, it has to be the computer that controls the clutches.... WE have to fix this

Originally Posted by Scott@AMS
Alright myself and Chris went and test drove the car this morning, after reading through this thread and reading a little more into the evo x service manual I wanted to see what was going on for myself. At the moment the car has absolutely no check engine lights. We drove it around for about 15 minutes, we let it warm up a bit and eventually started getting into it a little more. It was hitting all gears like it should but it seemed as the transmission warmed up it began to slip more and more under any boost. It felt exactly like a standard transmission car when the clutch is bad. The rpms shoot up and the speed doesn't.

At this point I really don't think this is an electrical issue. The trans is slipping and there are no DTC's. If anyone else has any ideas on something to check with this thing feel free to PM me. We however don't feel comfortable digging into the transmission as information is very scarce on the Mitsubishi SST transmissions. The service manual's SST transmission "overhaul" section is basically prepping a new transmission for install.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the only way you can fix this is either with ams or ssp cause if you take it to a mitsu dealer they wont do jack about it
i hope you fix your car

Quick Reply: Philamthebest's SSP Rebuild