Notices

ams trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ams trans cooler

so i was wondering how many people have the ams trans cooler and how much does it actually help?? i just did a evo x swap and was wondering how much the trans cooler would help me.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

well it looks like alot of people look at this thread but no replies. no one must have a trans cooler they must not work.
Old Apr 17, 2010, 12:48 AM
Evolving Member

Its not worth it IMHO.

If your going to do a Transmission cooler, SSP's Front Mount Transmission cooler is the best on the market. Fitment is great, as well as design. Would highly recommend going with it, over AMS.

Old Apr 17, 2010, 06:46 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^ +1

That along with the fluid really makes the SST happy
Old Apr 19, 2010, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

A friend had only 1 extra lap with ams cooler, go with ssp or wait for ams v2 maybe
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

any installation picture for the ssp cooler?? can be done by self?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

i am not going to be taking my car on any road tracks or anything i am just looking to keep my trans cool and lasting longer and so i can launch harder without the slow down light coming on so often when i am at the drag strip. i dont do any road track racing at all.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackfrog
any installation picture for the ssp cooler?? can be done by self?
This install can be done at home. I was going to do it myself but decided I was not comfortable enough in wiring it so I got the guys at Jotech to do it for me.

Old Apr 19, 2010, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

so does the factory cooler remain hooked up also with the ssp front mounted cooler. does your slow down light still come on when you launch your car??
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mendo
This install can be done at home. I was going to do it myself but decided I was not comfortable enough in wiring it so I got the guys at Jotech to do it for me.
just need bumper off to install this? did u also get the deep pan? can u feel any improvement?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

The factory cooler remains in place, this setup runs both coolers in serial which is nice because u don't have to do absolutely anything to the tranny to hook up the line from the SSP cooler.

For the install, the only things that have to come off are the front bumper, undertray, airbox, plastic duct behind driver side fog light, and you have to cut a small part of the plastic cooling plate.

I did not get the pan since running the cooler system already adds an extra liter of fluid and I don't track my car too heavily, I did get the inline filter though. I have not gotten the "slow down" msg since I have installed the cooler, but since I don't have a temp gauge I can't tell a temp difference. I definitely felt a difference after filling it with SSP's Pro Red fluid. That stuff is magic juice, my tranny feels smoother and no more jolts during rolling stops.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 02:47 PM
Evolving Member

did you refill your whole trans with that red fluid then so it costed like what 800 dollars for the fluid??
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Sadly, it is not cheap if yah wana play. lol

its about $75 the liter, running 8 liters. Then u have stock fluid which is about $55 the liter. I was a bit skeptical about it at first, but honestly its worth it.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

but my one question is have you tried launching your car since you installed the ssp trans cooler?
Old Apr 20, 2010, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hotshot1
but my one question is have you tried launching your car since you installed the ssp trans cooler?
The SSP cooler uses a Setrab cooler with a spal fan on it. Setrab is a top of the line, if not THE top of the line cooler you can buy. You can wire cooler to run when the car is on or off, allowing you to cool the trans while the car is not running. All other coolers on the market currently do not measure up.

I've launched my car dozens of times. I've run as many as 8 full quarter passes with launches in an hour span. I pulled the stock clutches out last month, and they looked like they had never even been used. The ssp cooler will eliminate any temperature issues you were having, and likely prevent any you will have.

Quick Reply: ams trans cooler