Notices

My TC-SST does NOT overheat on the track!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My TC-SST does NOT overheat on the track!

I've been waiting to post this, to get into the heat of the summer, but I think I'm safe now to do so. Might jinx me now, though.

I have an 08 Evo X MR. Completely stock except for a Cobb AP flash and track brake pads. I track this car regularly at various tracks around Texas, mostly at TWS and occasionally at the two MSR tracks. The car currently has about 11K miles, broken in according to the book, very regular fluid changes, very well maintained. I just changed the driveline fluids (trans, diffs, T/C, AYC) with all stock Mitsubishi fluids.

I have had exactly one TC-SST overheat where the transmission went into limp mode. I can't exactly remember, but I believe I was shifting manually, which I normally do not do on the track. Ambient temps were around 70 deg F.

But, aside from that one incident, I have NOT had my TC-SST overheat and go into limp mode. I always drive on the track with the ASC completely off and the transmission in S-Sport mode. It is rare that I will use manual shifting mode; I usually just keep it in the automatic shifting mode. (I actually have trouble hearing my engine to know when it's time to shift; hence keeping it in automatic mode. Maybe I need a louder exhaust.)

I have driven the car in ambient temps ranging from 40 deg F to over 100 deg F this summer. 20-30 minute sessions. Driving hard. (I'm a track instructor) I have purposely kept from doing much left-foot braking, because of what I've read on the forum, but this last weekend I had an advanced instructor drive my car for a session, and he used LFB for the entire session. No problems with the transmission.

I'm not the only one who's driven my car on the track, either. I routinely let other instructors drive it (they all want to drive the Evo!), and there have been no problems with other "driving styles". I was wondering if it was "just me" and my driving style, but apparently not.

So, just throwing this out there as a data point. I've been expecting a transmission overheat, and it just doesn't happen, even in Texas summer temperatures.

(Nor have I experienced a _single problem_ with the car--it just keeps going and going. Again, I do religiously maintain and take care of the car, not only with very frequent oil changes and other maintenance, but also doing things like opening the hood after a session and keeping the engine running for a minute or so. OK, I do have a problem: wearing the outsides of my tires, even with the max neg camber that I can get with the stock suspension. But, that can be handled by sways and coilovers.)

Last edited by weneversleep; Jun 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:51 AM

We just got our MR a month ago and I wanted to know if you did any suspension mods for yours? I was worried about tracking the car due to the overheat problem, but I think I'll give it a try now after your post!
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

As I said above, no suspension mods yet. Only brake pads and the flash.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:28 AM

Did you remove the foglights? I have had the car overheat on the 1.3 at MSR cresson. It did in in sport and s-sport with the ACS off one click. Granted I think it is because the 1.3 is so tight that I didn't get great airflow, but I also have the foglights removed and about 350hp.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 03:50 AM
Evolved Member

Seeing as how he said it's "stock except for the AP", I think we can safely assume he hasn't done anything else.

Interesting factoid; from reading, I'd think anyone going over 35MPH while turning was getting a "slow down" message.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolving Member

Interesting... I was getting overheating after 13 minutes in 70 degree weather. The only difference is the fact my ASC was on, and the amount of power my car is making.
Old Jun 24, 2010, 02:39 PM

I came in here thinking you at least had a tranny cooler, guess I was wrong in a good way!

I've read before on diff forums that keeping electronic nannies off (ASC) reduces the chances of going into limp mode.

For folks experiencing the slow down message, I wonder if something like the SSP tranny cooler would help banish the heat issue for your driving style - which might be different from the OP.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

08 mr

*s sport mode - allowing car to shift (no manual shifting)
*asc off (or middle mode semi off?) made no change

*fog lamps still installed in car.

*stock rom no power mods stock drive train

*crappy sumitomo street tires (245/45/18) 300 tread wear rating

*progress springs, cobb sway bars

*unknow brake pads (i believe they are hawk HPS by there less than stellar performance. )

*stock brake fluid.

now to results:

me driving : Trans goes to limp mode in 16 minutes

wife driving: Trans goes into limp mode in 18 minutes

can duplicate this every sesson.

yeah mitsubishi.

I have tried with and with out left foot braking. did not make a difference.

note: can not make trans over heat in sport mode, then again car is slower than a miata running on 2 spark plugs.

did not try manual mode for simple fact i have a manual Evo if i wanted to shift, i would have brought it to track instead.

Last edited by tnt1106; Jun 28, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: format
Old Jun 28, 2010, 09:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tnt1106
*asc off (or middle mode semi off?) made no change
Hmmm. I'm wondering, if the ASC isn't actually off ("off off", holding down the button for a few seconds), that this causes the overheat?

I've _never_ run with the ASC on. Always completely off. Maybe that's the difference?
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Hmmm. I'm wondering, if the ASC isn't actually off ("off off", holding down the button for a few seconds), that this causes the overheat?

I've _never_ run with the ASC on. Always completely off. Maybe that's the difference?
well thats what i meanr by semi off, then off off.

never ran with it fully on (no light)

it was either off (push in short light says asc off) or

push in hold ( lights flash horns blink, heavens open up and you get flashy skid mark sigh on display)

edit: and ASC is off off for certain as you can drift the car at will and it will no correct.

so anytime in S sport mode we could both replicate the limp mode after 15 minutes +

wife drives 7/10th's of the car. i drive 10/10th's hence referencing her above.

Last edited by tnt1106; Jun 28, 2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep

There's no "ASC off off". The ASC button hold turns off AYC. One press, ASC off. Press and hold is ASC & AYC off.

I wouldn't think AYC has anything to do with tranny overheating though.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Webman
There's no "ASC off off". The ASC button hold turns off AYC. One press, ASC off. Press and hold is ASC & AYC off.

I wouldn't think AYC has anything to do with tranny overheating though.
that makes sense as to my results above then. thnx webman

edit: first push turns off throttle cut, 2nd push and hold turns off braking portion of AYC.

Last edited by tnt1106; Jun 29, 2010 at 07:10 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Put a BM cooiler in there. Problem solved I would like to know what the temps are Before and after the cooler. I point the finger at the cooler not being able to handle the heat transfer that the fluid is taken away from the transmission.

I have a mustang with a c4 and trans brake. while on the transbrake before a run down the strip they increase the fluid temp by 150 degrees per second... alot of heat. Installed bigger feed and return lines (-6) and a BM cooler. Temps dont even get up over 160 degrees while leaving the line. The BM super cooler or super stacks (for get the name) are one of th ebest coolers on the market.

What kind of fittings are on the transmission send and return line? is it a banjo bolt or is it a nipple with a clamp fitting?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

I overheated mine for the first time doing auto-x the past weekend. Ran in Sport Mode/automatic. The auto-x course was a 1-4th gear track which was about 80-90 seconds in length. I ran 3 consecutive laps with no breaks in between due to no cars in line and i overheated at the end of my 3rd lap. It was around 90 degrees in los Angeles area. Just wanted to share how long it took me to overheat...