Notices

SST trans filter at 6300 miles

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, let me redefine pain in the *** for all NOVICE DIY wrenches out there who don't have access to a lift...

For someone who is used to just doing an oil change, be prepared to take out your airbox/or intake to get to that fill hole on top of the SST... PROPERLY. If you do change your oil yourself, then you're used to taking apart the 100 clips (maybe an overexaggeration, but it seemed like 100) that hold the undertray, and also to take the left front wheel off to get the proper access to the drain and filter. Loosen the 2 drain bolts, I believe there might be 3 in some older EVO X MRs but I saw only two on my 2010. Let the fluid drain...hopefully, you have a pan or canister wide enough because this stuff just gushes out in a messy way, no matter how slowly you remove the bolt. Let it drain for a couple of minutes.

Now loosen the filter and drain as well. That little clip that holds the filter?!!!...PLEASE take your time and pay ATTENTION there! That clip is so fragile, it's the ultimate design flaw!!! shame on you Mitsubishi engineers who cheaped out on the design there. One more thing, please measure the SST fluid going back in. This stuff took like 20minutes to fill...pouring in a little at a time and keeping track of how much went in. Definitely lay down some paper towels around the surrounding areas though. The fluid thickness looked like honey (and color too).

After the fill, tighten everything up, run the car through the gears on the lift to flow the fluid through the SST, ensure no leaks, put it all pieces back in place, enjoy.

I hope that clarifies the pain in the *** statement I made...I'm sure there are more than enough capable hands out there, I'm just not one of them. To say that it's as simple as changing the oil on this car is too much of an oversimplification of the process. I paid for the service for a reason and one of them is because I'm not a DIY, but if I was I would still be in the opinion that this is not as simple as an oil change. It's a labor of love for all the good the SST is to EVO X MR owners out there!

Last edited by njevoxpb; Oct 24, 2011 at 08:14 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 08:16 AM

John, yep I'm with you on the pipes and intake and tune!!! Just gotta get the wife on board after she saw the bill for the "Simple" fluid change...LOL!!! Like I said in the office there..."Here you go...Happy Birthday Honey!" LOL!!!
Old Oct 24, 2011, 09:32 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by njevoxpb
Sorry, let me redefine pain in the *** for all NOVICE DIY wrenches out there who don't have access to a lift...

For someone who is used to just doing an oil change, be prepared to take out your airbox/or intake to get to that fill hole on top of the SST... PROPERLY. If you do change your oil yourself, then you're used to taking apart the 100 clips (maybe an overexaggeration, but it seemed like 100) that hold the undertray, and also to take the left front wheel off to get the proper access to the drain and filter. Loosen the 2 drain bolts, I believe there might be 3 in some older EVO X MRs but I saw only two on my 2010. Let the fluid drain...hopefully, you have a pan or canister wide enough because this stuff just gushes out in a messy way, no matter how slowly you remove the bolt. Let it drain for a couple of minutes.

Now loosen the filter and drain as well. That little clip that holds the filter?!!!...PLEASE take your time and pay ATTENTION there! That clip is so fragile, it's the ultimate design flaw!!! shame on you Mitsubishi engineers who cheaped out on the design there. One more thing, please measure the SST fluid going back in. This stuff took like 20minutes to fill...pouring in a little at a time and keeping track of how much went in. Definitely lay down some paper towels around the surrounding areas though. The fluid thickness looked like honey (and color too).

After the fill, tighten everything up, run the car through the gears on the lift to flow the fluid through the SST, ensure no leaks, put it all pieces back in place, enjoy.

I hope that clarifies the pain in the *** statement I made...I'm sure there are more than enough capable hands out there, I'm just not one of them. To say that it's as simple as changing the oil on this car is too much of an oversimplification of the process. I paid for the service for a reason and one of them is because I'm not a DIY, but if I was I would still be in the opinion that this is not as simple as an oil change. It's a labor of love for all the good the SST is to EVO X MR owners out there!
All of that is very well within a novice wrencher. Taking all the clips off the undertray? It's easy, just takes time. Taking off the airbox? Easy, just takes time.

Everything is easy. What would you define as easy? Swapping a panel filter?

If this is a pain in the ***, checking the air in your tires must be a chore.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:18 AM

Bryan, I guess I know who I'm talking to now after reading some of your posts.

Bryan from GST is AWESOME! They have very fast race cars and win a lot of races especially the GST Impreza they campaign at Time attacks. Very capable shop. Between him and SSP, there would be NO SST development whatsoever. If they were close enough, I'd probably visit them.

For Bryan, this job is easy. For me, a lowly owner with no mechanical experience, but one who can change his own panel filter and does check his air pressures with regularity due to climate changes, this job couldn't be the furthest from difficult. Nuff said.

I respect Bryan's view here as he is a guru and probably has more skin invested in the EVO game than I do, but I'd like to say that unless you're dealing with someone of Bryan's skill level, I would not entrust my $10k tranny to just anyone, even myself who is educated enough to follow directions from a shop manual and can buy the best tools to complete the job. That's just me though.

BTW Bryan, I am a fan of your Ralliart...we own one of those as well but my Father-in-law drives it, so I can't put the fun stuff you did to yours on it. Thanks for your insight Bryan! I wish it was as easy for me.

Last edited by njevoxpb; Oct 24, 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Bryan, I guess I know who I'm talking to now after reading some of your posts.

Let me do this for you...Bryan from GST is AWESOME! They have very fast race cars and win a lot of races especially the GST Impreza they campaign at Time attacks. Very capable shop. If they were close enough, I'd probably visit them.

For Bryan, this job is easy. For me, a lowly owner with no mechanical experience, but one who can change his own panel filter and does check his air pressures with regularity due to climate changes, this job couldn't be the furthest from difficult. Nuff said.

I respect Bryan's view here as he is a guru and probably has more skin invested in the EVO game than I do, but I'd like to say that unless you're dealing with someone of Bryan's skill level, I would not entrust my $10k tranny to just anyone, even myself who is educated enough to follow directions from a shop manual and can buy the best tools to complete the job. That's just me though.

Thanks for your insight Bryan! I wish it was as easy for me.
I'm not a mechanic. I push keys on keyboards while sitting down.

I was able to do this to my own RA easily. It just takes time.

Given I had access to a lift but four jackstands would do the same thing and make it just slightly harder.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:07 PM

I will gladly take the hour it takes me to swap the sst fluids vs paying my dealer $500. The fluid swap is as easy as an oil change. If you can't hack the service I'd suggest either eating the cost of paying someone else to do it or sell your car and buy a new camaro.

If you want to understand pain, try replacing your O2 housing / dp on jack stands.

Last edited by jackal5555; Oct 24, 2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:00 PM

^You won't be saving much doing it yourself even if you bought the fluids and filter from a vendor here. The high cost is the materials in the job itself. You will at least pay $400 in materials alone...now couple that with the frustration of having to shell out that much cash to begin with and you'll see that the couple of hours it may take you will not make up the difference between $400 or $500...in addition, at least you can lay it to the dealer if something gets screwed up since they did the maintenance.

SST maintenance is definitely one of the higher cost maintenance items, but I knew that coming into the EVO X MR game which is why I'm ok shelling out the cash to do the work. However, I may endeavour to do this myself next time...where do you dispose of the old fluid though? That's a whole other thread for another time.
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

You can buy all 8L and a filter for ~$300-350. Dealerships charge $600 last I heard
Oh and unless you have a lift, it will take more like 2 hrs. But DEFINITELY worth the time
Old Oct 27, 2011, 02:54 PM
EvoM Guru

You will at least pay $400 in materials alone.
Diaqueen SSTF part #C0002610 - $106.90 /each x2
Filter part #2513A040 - $103.29 /each

subtotal: $317.09

Shipping $25.22

Total: $342.31
@ mitsubishiparts.net

So let us recap here.

Materials cost less then $400.
If you can:
Jack your car up on four jack stands
Change your engine oil and filter
Replace a battery
Swap out a air filter
Take plastic fasteners off
Know how to measure fluid or understand the concept of displacement and/or volume

You can change your own SST Fluid and filter WITH NO ISSUE.

If you have a hard time checking your engine oil then pay somebody else.

Bottom line.

Last edited by razorlab; Oct 27, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:40 PM

^so we're arguing over $60 in my estimate...I guess I need to preface and put caveats like "Depending where you buy the materials or the level of quality of said materials, it could cost approx. $400". LOL! Very well.

So you save yourself about $150 ($60 on material +whatever labor is) doing it yourself. Good point. Not many people have the deep pockets in this economy at the moment. That $$$ amount could be significant in the grand scheme of things.

Bryan, on a side note. Are you guys any closer to further cracking the SST tranny TCU. Been quiet for a while. I enjoyed all the back and forth on other forums trying to get a definitive answer if this tranny can be fixed or not in the future. Is it a lost cause (too expensive to R&D), or is there a light at the end of the tunnel? From what it looked like on the forums, you and SSP were making good ground on what makes these SST trannys tick.

Last edited by njevoxpb; Oct 28, 2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

^so we're arguing over $60 in my estimate...I guess I need to preface and put caveats like "Depending where you buy the materials or the level of quality of said materials, it could cost approx. $400". LOL! Very well.
You forgot to factor in the price of labor. What is dealer rate an hour nowadays? $115?

Two hour job they book it at?
Old Oct 28, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, the dealerships charge ~$600 for this service (parts and labor). So it's not a $60 savings, it's a $260 savings.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Yeah, the dealerships charge ~$600 for this service (parts and labor). So it's not a $60 savings, it's a $260 savings.
Pick up the ssp reusable filter and knock off $100 each time you change fluids. And it does take 2 hours to change, I don't know why I typed an hour.
Old Oct 28, 2011, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

I have the SSP Done 2 tranny changes in 25k miles; I do complete fluid replacement, I even take apart the oil cooler set-up to get every last drop out (an extra 1-1.5 liters in there).