Notices

Is your TC-SST slow to react to WOT from standing start?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2010, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd wager there is a table in the ECU/TCU that dictates what RPM to use as the "clutch engagement" point from a standing start, based on Accel Pedal Position or TPS.

Bet it's 2500 RPM for WOT, barely 1000 RPM for light throttle... and linear between the two extremes.

It does seem to "get going" earlier at part throttle from standing... maybe the reason WOT "I've gotta go now!" situations feel unresponsive is that the "delay before clutch" period really is longer.

Hmm, that gives me an idea. I wonder how it would react to an initial wide open throttle (to get engine revs increasing asap), followed by a pull-back to 1/2 throttle (to prompt a lower clutch engagement point).

One more test coming up...

Rich
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by richardjh
Hmm, that gives me an idea. I wonder how it would react to an initial wide open throttle (to get engine revs increasing asap), followed by a pull-back to 1/2 throttle (to prompt a lower clutch engagement point).

One more test coming up...

Rich

*** IT WORKS! ***

Seriously folks, I believe it's the way to take off quickly in an SST.

Can someone else with this insanely clever transmission please verify. It's simple...

- You're on the brake.
- edit: You're in SPORT Mode
- You get off the brake, and whack the accel. to the floor.
- You immediately pull the accel. back to halfway (edit: or 75%... just back it off, really). Hold it there... and...
- Va va voom.

Please try. Then send me beer. Lots of beer.

Rich

Last edited by richardjh; Nov 12, 2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so wouldnt it just be easier to rev it to 1000 rpm, then let off the brake and instant clutch engagement? obviously there is more wear and tear when you do this but its better than getting t-boned...

what i do is quickly rev it to 1000 rpm with brakes on, then let off the brake and simultaneously give it smooth throttle (not wot). this has always worked for me. and how i know is this one inclined street i go on. if it do it right, the car doesnt move back at all. if i time everything wrong, the car moves back a bit before the clutch engages.

this corroborates what you theorize, in that you must give it just enough throttle to engage the clutch immediately after you let off the brakes. if you gas it to much, the clutch engagement seems longer/at a higher rpm.

the bottomline is that mashing the throttle and waiting for it to launch like a bat outta hell with oncoming traffic is NOT the right thing to do... learn what works for you, and get that instant engagement when you really need it...
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

*** IT WORKS! ***

Can someone else with this insanely clever transmission please verify. It's simple...

- You're on the brake.
- You immediately pull the accel. back to halfway (edit: or 75%... just back it off, really). Hold it there... and...
- Va va voom.

Rich
i'll try this next time im in the car, it sounds like a more aggressive form of 'blipping', but if it works, it works...

thanks for the research Rich!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 02:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
*** IT WORKS! ***

- You're on the brake.
- Va va voom.

Rich
That's what I was saying earlier. It works great!

What works great for me is, always been in manual / sport mode. I lightly touch the brake so I don't go out in the traffic, then when the timing is right I step on the gas then back off the gas to about 1/4 throttle, then quickly shift to 2nd gear once I'm going. The shifting to 2nd gear keeps my car from shooting off like a bat out of hell once it finally gets spooled up and 100% engaged.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by migs647
That's what I was saying earlier. It works great!

I step on the gas then back off the gas to about 1/4 throttle
Indeed you did, migs! I didn't "get" the significance of what you meant at the time... I do now!

When in NORMAL mode, the softer clutch engagement doesn't seem to really give this approach much of an edge... but in SPORT mode it's a whole different ball game. Then, the solid initial engagement gives you a lot more confidence the car is moving off when (and how fast) you need it to.

I guess it'd be easy to log the time taken from initial throttle stamp to (say) 4000rpm in 1st. Timing to a set speed won't work, as the speed value isn't updated very often. I hope this method (the Migs Method, hehe) has the jump on the regular WOT-and-wait approach. Then we'll know it's not all in our minds.

Rich
Old Nov 12, 2010, 04:53 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I'm happy someone is finally showing some #'s on it
Old Nov 15, 2010, 03:03 PM

*** IT WORKS! ***

- You're on the brake.
- Va va voom.

Rich
Haha sounds funny Ill have to give it a whirl on the road in a bit.

Wait a min isnt this a RA and didnt they discover this isnt limiting like the MR is
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Doug200T
Haha sounds funny Ill have to give it a whirl on the road in a bit.

Wait a min isnt this a RA and didnt they discover this isnt limiting like the MR is
Correct. On the RA, the TPS shows the throttle is doing exactly what your right foot is asking for. No 1st gear trickery.

We're simply trying to suss out why the RA behaves like it does when you're stationary and want to get going fast. Mine raises revs to 2500rpm (0.75 sec), then g-e-n-t-l-y engages the clutch. It's oh so smooth... which isn't quite what you're after if you put your accelerator pedal through the floor.

Rich
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

hopefully this delay can be tuned out!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

I usually just play with the throttle. U can pump the gas(blip it a little on and off on and off 0 but not for so long). If u do it right, the car will barely inch forward move and u can get the revs to 3000k and mash the throttle down. Ur foot is never on the brake when ur doing this. Has anyone tried this? Or this probably unsafe for the clutch engagement. Someone let me know thx.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:05 AM

@IndyEvo66:

I noticed you drive an MR... which jogged my memory about this from Bryan:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-mr-vs-ra.html

For the MR, I see what you mean...

Rich

yep. mr's and ra's are dif. didn't notice you had a ra.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 01:15 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just pile migs647 pointed out, at a full stop You only hover the brake pedal NOT ALL THE WAY DOWN. This will stop the delay