Notices

Can you E-brake turn?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2010, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Toxin
WRC does not allow active center differentials so I'm not completely sure how any of this can be true... PWRC, JWRC and so on - yes, the actual WRC (FIA Gr.A WRC) however - no.
those cars let also disconnect the mid diff for the same purpose. ACtive means electronically controlled locking management /or what ever you guys say it nicely in english/, not how they connect or disconnect , so there for is a way they work actually, not how they get disconnected. They work mechanically, but that has nothing to do with the connection. That is they inside set up.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Dec 6, 2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Non-ACD evo8s like mine - you can not ebrake around is that right? My buddies 08 WRX could do it fine.. does is 08WRX have an electronic center lsd??
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happens when you try to e-brake turn in your EVO 8?
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 287 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by gaabbee
the acd will open up and "disconnect" the rear axle as in it wont be sending power there. so then the difference in speeds wont stall the car
it will not disconnect the diff, it will only disconnect the diff lock.. if you do manage to lock the rears while driving, you'll see that your rpm drops to half..

you can block the rear wheels even in non ACD evos, just with more difficulty as you have a viscous diff lock fighting you
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

You need to shut ASC off off to do proper e-brake turns or else the ASC will bog your engine causing a annoying waiting time before you can get on the power again. Depends on how agressive you pull it though. If you do a U-turn, the ASC will definately cut the power.
One thing happened to me though when I did a e-brake U-turn with ASC off in the snow.
It was one of the first times i tried it and the engine completely shut off, probably cause I was too hard on the throttle in the spin and the car believed I just had an accident and then cut the fuel line. Was no problem just starting it up again and it's never happened again, but probably cause I've learned how to use it properly

This is on a Ralliart, but I guess it will be the same on a X MR.

On a sidenote, I've been doing probably 20-30 e-brake turns this winter (mostly with ASC off but also with it on) and no problems.

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
Didn't Jeremy Clarkson race a sti on a track and when he ebraked the clutch disengaged?
Made him loose seconds.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 03:47 PM

its in the manual. it says something like it alowing the rear wheels to lock.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:44 PM

i really never thought about this. alot of these transmissions though are sequential and dogged so there is no need for the clutch on up shifts. very interesting info that neva crossed my mind.