Notices

Getrag SST Exposed....Must read for X MR owners!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by kozmic27
If the SST was a dealer serviceable unit this would be the first place to point a finger. However the dealers don't service the transmissions at all. All they do is install them. The pieces that were found came from INSIDE the transmission. (Clutch basket assembly).
i know, those transmissions are mostlikely rebuild one's. But you just repeat my point. Getrag doesnt do install transmission in the car. So who put the rebuild one's into them?
Or the point is, getrag sell them as new/ the rebuild one's/? I highgly doubt that. That has more effect and can be more serious for the company then just damaging they name on the racing and the public market...

So how the rebuild tranny find its way into the car, that is a question, in my mind.
I cant imagine Getrag would sell second hand product as a new one, specially tool inside them.... That is more reminds me some Mitsubishi dealership trained mechanic work.... LOL
Old Feb 18, 2011, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it seems pretty obvious if these findings are indeed true, the turn around time for shipping and re-work must be pretty long for each SST.

So if a customer comes in with a nuked SST, they probably order another one right away ( this might be rebuilt or new, whatever Getrag has on hand, business logic would tell me they would send off rebuilt ones first though ) and then the dealership would rip out the old one to be shipped back to be rebuilt, and just install whatever tranny they get from Getrag.

But I'm also sure that the tranny exchanges hands a few times before reaching their final destination, each way. The transmission might be torn apart by Mitsu somewhere, evaluated, then sent off to getrag in pieces. Who really knows, who cares. the fact of the matter is, if they are recycling the SST's into brand new cars, that's really messed up. I don't pay to have refurbished parts in my new car.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

This sounds quite similar to the process involved with xbox 360s... yours fries itself and microsoft sends you a refurb.

Maybe the process is the same for these trannys? I would hope not tho... RA is now off my list.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

If these referbished trannys are working better then the old ones then who cares...id rather have less problems and not have to worry then complaining about a used part
Old Feb 19, 2011, 01:09 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Is it possible that these simply didn't pass inspection on the first go-around and once they were sorted out they received this engraving?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by scheides
Is it possible that these simply didn't pass inspection on the first go-around and once they were sorted out they received this engraving?
Anything is possible at this point. What i don't understand is that these markings should be explained by Getrag/Mitsu since it has nothing to do with uncovering an industry secret that will then give other companies an advantage over them...

Why they refuse to talk about it really makes it seem like then don't wantto talk about it... there has to be a reason for it.

Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

^Getrag and Mitsubishi won't comment because they don't want it ending up in the mainstream media. This would cause some/total panic from everyone who owns a TC-SST or for that matter, any Getrag transmission. They don't wan't that kind of press.

My guess is that if/when the mainstream press does decide to follow this issue, the Mitsubishi and Getrag PR firms will come out of hiding and will provide us with absolutely zero information.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 12:28 PM

^ With the evo X MR having that kind of performance as an auto was a huge buying point for me, but until there is a valid reason for it I'm looking into getting an STI instead lol
Old Feb 20, 2011, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

The way I see it, it is messed up if these really do turn up to be refurb units placed in new cars. I specially feel bad for the guy with the tool inside his SST. Will we ever know the complete truth? Most likely no, these are issues companies don't like floating in the main media. I will remain hopeful that maybe somewhere down the line we will see better judgment from Getrag i.e. spare parts!!!

But this is no reason to go haywire and get rid of your car or to be turned away from the SST. Can't forget about the guys that are pushing their cars and are not having issues. Personally I have owned 2 Evos with the SST and I haven't had problems with it at all (S-AWC is another story lol). This is like going back to the temp sensor failure issue; some have failed, most have not.

Thankfully we have companies like SSP and many other people helping uncover these things. THANKS!
Old Feb 21, 2011, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by krispyego
^ With the evo X MR having that kind of performance as an auto was a huge buying point for me, but until there is a valid reason for it I'm looking into getting an STI instead lol
Subaru is having their own issues. Like previous posts have stated, don't lose faith in the car because of the findings. We don't even know what these markings are exactly.
Old Feb 21, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kozmic27
The photos are the proof. That and the pieces of tooling removed from clutch baskets.
The photos are proof of what ?? that numbers are engraved on the clutchpacks ??

It would be prudent to find out what those things mean and why its found on overseas SSTs before sealing the fate don't you think ..

Hint : Overseas units gets the SSTs earlier than US ..almost 10months ..
It was something they found AFTER the launch of the SSTs that they needed to fix somethings that causes failures ..

Newer models doesn't have this because they upgraded the parts ?
Old Feb 21, 2011, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gunzo
The photos are proof of what ?? that numbers are engraved on the clutchpacks ??
Proof of pieces of tooling falling out of clutch baskets that happen to also have engravings on them. Pieces of tooling have not yet (knock on wood) fallen out of clutch baskets that don't have this engraving on them (at least not for SSP). Of the 4 baskets with the engravings on them, pieces of tooling fell out of 2 of them.

Well, I guess technically only a video would be proof of them falling out, but it's really hard to hold a video camera and dis-assemble the clutch pack at the same time.

This would hardly be an issue, or at least a much smaller one, if Mitsubishi didn't void the warranty on the trans at the drop of a hat and/or they would sell parts for it. They have overhaul instructions in the 2010 manual for the trans. I am hoping that this means they will have parts soon, or at least someday.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:25 AM

markings

Many times manufacturers pull components off the assembly line that do not pass the first time.The component is disassembled and redone to a better tolerance.Still is a new part with rectified tolerances,german cars have markings like these all over the drivetrain components in critical spots.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Haymann
Many times manufacturers pull components off the assembly line that do not pass the first time.The component is disassembled and redone to a better tolerance.Still is a new part with rectified tolerances,german cars have markings like these all over the drivetrain components in critical spots.
+1. In QA world, this is quite common.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

thank you SSP. this thread brings out some very interesting information. Subscribed.

Quick Reply: Getrag SST Exposed....Must read for X MR owners!!!!