Need some info for SST, looking to upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2011, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some info for SST, looking to upgrade

Hey Guys,
So let me start off by stating my intentions:
I'm planning on taking some HPDE classes, and then track events. BUT before I jump headlong into that (if I do something its either all the way or not at all ;p), I want to reinforce this $8-10K piece of cutting edge technology (the tranny silly!).
Last month I drained and replaced all 8 liters using SSP Gold, and spliced in an inline tranny filter (FYI for those considering this, tighten that **** down; the stock hosing is not tight enough to prevent leaks, even with 3 zip ties around each nipple. Ended up having to cold weld to seal the hoses, and ran to Mitsu dealer for more fluid. I guesstimated at ~.7 liters lost total over 3 days of trying to fix the problem, and ended up putting 1.0 liters in to be safe). I also have a Mishimoto tranny cooler that I picked up a couple months ago.
Here is my plan:
Re-drain the fluid, and set up the second cooler running off the first, probably on the crash bumper as seen by others. My Question is in regards to the SSP Kit I was looking at. They include a 2.5gph pump with their ungraded cooler. Doesn't the tranny already have a pump moving the fluid around? Is there any reason that I would NEED to run an additional pump on my set-up (if so its not a big deal, I've already sourced them for ~$40 on amazon, more of an inconvenience), or is that simply for ADDITIONAL cooling by moving the fluid out of the tranny faster (thereby reducing heat soak in the liquid?).
I have 2 ideas for setting this up:
The first is on the crash beam. Retain the stock hose running from the now empty stock filter to the stock cooler (that is where I've spliced in my filter, as per SSP's instruction to filter BEFORE the cooler). Then run hose to my Mishimoto cooler, and back to the tranny (seems rather basic)
The second idea is IF I were to need a pump, maybe it would be easier to run the cooler under the tranny next to the 3 drain holes. Use 2 of them as in/out for the Mishimoto cooler; this short distance would reduce the necessity to need a pump, due to the lack of distance the flid is being moved (mere inches instead of 4-5 ft)
Crap, this turned out the be more than I intended to write
Thanks for ideas/input
-Steve-
Old Mar 24, 2011, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
Hey Guys,
So let me start off by stating my intentions:
I'm planning on taking some HPDE classes, and then track events. BUT before I jump headlong into that (if I do something its either all the way or not at all ;p), I want to reinforce this $8-10K piece of cutting edge technology (the tranny silly!).
Last month I drained and replaced all 8 liters using SSP Gold, and spliced in an inline tranny filter (FYI for those considering this, tighten that **** down; the stock hosing is not tight enough to prevent leaks, even with 3 zip ties around each nipple. Ended up having to cold weld to seal the hoses, and ran to Mitsu dealer for more fluid. I guesstimated at ~.7 liters lost total over 3 days of trying to fix the problem, and ended up putting 1.0 liters in to be safe). I also have a Mishimoto tranny cooler that I picked up a couple months ago.
Here is my plan:
Re-drain the fluid, and set up the second cooler running off the first, probably on the crash bumper as seen by others. My Question is in regards to the SSP Kit I was looking at. They include a 2.5gph pump with their ungraded cooler. Doesn't the tranny already have a pump moving the fluid around? Is there any reason that I would NEED to run an additional pump on my set-up (if so its not a big deal, I've already sourced them for ~$40 on amazon, more of an inconvenience), or is that simply for ADDITIONAL cooling by moving the fluid out of the tranny faster (thereby reducing heat soak in the liquid?).
I have 2 ideas for setting this up:
The first is on the crash beam. Retain the stock hose running from the now empty stock filter to the stock cooler (that is where I've spliced in my filter, as per SSP's instruction to filter BEFORE the cooler). Then run hose to my Mishimoto cooler, and back to the tranny (seems rather basic)
The second idea is IF I were to need a pump, maybe it would be easier to run the cooler under the tranny next to the 3 drain holes. Use 2 of them as in/out for the Mishimoto cooler; this short distance would reduce the necessity to need a pump, due to the lack of distance the flid is being moved (mere inches instead of 4-5 ft)
Crap, this turned out the be more than I intended to write
Thanks for ideas/input
-Steve-
Since you're in SoCal, why don't you just have RRE install their TCSST cooler? $700 installed w/ 2 coolers. See my post in the sticky.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
regarding the inline trans filter. Since the trans hoses are a metric size and not generally available in the USA I do, and recomend the following when putting in an inline filter using -6 push lock fittings. DOUBLE HOSE CLAMPS.

Zip ties will not be sufficient. Double hose clamping will work, and not leak.

Using 3/8 trans cooler line will not work because it is to small to go over the plastic nipple on the oem filter housing without breaking it, though you could force it over the nipple on the cooler. It's not worth the effort.

Regarding prepping your car for road coarsing. I recomend installing the SSP cooler kit, and wiring it with a relay, using the ground as the control, and routing the ground into the cabin, and grounding it after the switch on the dash support that is accessable from the fuse door.

I like to mount the swith just to the right and up from the fuse door, where it is not going to get knee'd and is mostly out of sight.

When you track the car, make sure if you are running a mini battery you keep a charger on hand so you can run the cooler between sessions full time with car off. An Optima red top will run the cooler all day with no issues and no charger.
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Since you're in SoCal, why don't you just have RRE install their TCSST cooler? $700 installed w/ 2 coolers. See my post in the sticky.
I'm a hands on type of person. I sit in an office all week, and for me I relax on the weekends by having a hands-on project with my car. I'd much rather spend 6-8 hrs figuring out how to create my own set-up than pay someone else to do it for me. But that's just me....
Old Mar 25, 2011, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

kozmic-
thanks, I think when I re-drain and install the 2nd tranny cooler, I'll get some new hosing and use clamps.
I like the idea of wiring the power for the fan to a switch. it really is pointless to have a fan running when ur driving around, but once you stop the fan will be a life saver for cooling down the oil
But what about the pump? Forget for a moment you are wanting to sell the kit. Is there any NEED for the pump, or is it purely for extreme usage (i.e. a dedicated track car, that will run for several hours, every weekend, per run). For light usage, the pump already in use will be enough to move the fluid around to a second cooler, yes? I would think so since Mike W's set-up doesn't include a pump.
Also, what is the size of the stock hosing?
Thanks,
Steve
Old Mar 26, 2011, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
kozmic-
But what about the pump? Forget for a moment you are wanting to sell the kit. Is there any NEED for the pump, or is it purely for extreme usage (i.e. a dedicated track car, that will run for several hours, every weekend, per run). For light usage, the pump already in use will be enough to move the fluid around to a second cooler, yes? I would think so since Mike W's set-up doesn't include a pump.
Also, what is the size of the stock hosing?
Thanks,
Steve
I've never seen the kit that Mike W uses, so I would not be able to comment on it. I will comment on the SSP kit. It's my personal opinion that the pump and fan is what makes this kit better than all the rest.

The pump allows you to run the cooler when the car is off if you chose to wire it that way. That feature alone sold me on this kit after just one track day without it. By the end of a hard track day, everything can be so heat soaked you only get a lap or two before the slow down message happens. Being able to cool the transmission when the car is off is a major benefit.

Have you ever noticed that when you turn on your a/c you coolant temp goes down? Even though the radiator is behind the condensor? Thats because the fan pulls air through the same regardless of your speed.

And by the way, I don't sell these kits, SSP does. (wouldn't want to ge falsely accused of vendoring....again)