Notices

Tc-sst failure over mods?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2011, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ak47m203
im below 350tq and i dont have slippage. supraboy any slowdown with AMS tranny cooler?
No not at all
Old May 29, 2011, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
No not at all
What made you decide on the ams cooler as apposed to ssp, greddy, and others?
Old May 29, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Mazzab
DG Motors that says it all. Home of the fudged correction factor

Now I see; 500 HP doesnt mean a whole lot on a Dynojet
Video is not a Dyno Jet it's a Dyno Dynamics. Not really sure what you mean by doesn't mean a whole lot but.

DynoJets can't really be altered to the extent of a Mustang and the Dyno Dynamics dyno in the video. Dyno Jet numbers are pretty much the industry standard when talking about whell HP and TQ.

To me dyno number mean **** its mealy a tuning tool. Hell my car will never even see a dyno so...
Old May 29, 2011, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

What made you decide on the ams cooler as apposed to ssp, greddy, and others?
Several things.

1. AMS had a package deal on both their front mount IC and the SST cooler when purchased together

2. I liked the placement. Safe from rocks, debris etc. ( Factory replacement )

3. Held more fluid than stock plus had a shrouded fan that really really flows a crap load of air.

4. AMS quality.

5. Doesn't block other radiators.
Old May 29, 2011, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
Video is not a Dyno Jet it's a Dyno Dynamics. Not really sure what you mean by doesn't mean a whole lot but.

DynoJets can't really be altered to the extent of a Mustang and the Dyno Dynamics dyno in the video. Dyno Jet numbers are pretty much the industry standard when talking about whell HP and TQ.

To me dyno number mean **** its mealy a tuning tool. Hell my car will never even see a dyno so...
1. Please open your eyes and watch the video again. Its 500 HP on a DYNOJET and 399 on the DYNOCOM.

2. I have seen a DYNOJET claim a Z06 vette has 505 HP to the wheels.. FAIL Then the Mustang shows 370. This is prolly more accurate.

Dynos are great tuning tools. It just cracks me up when I see wild number claims. Its all relative to the data at hand.
Old May 29, 2011, 09:00 PM
Former Sponsor

The torque number that a dyno creates is estimated calculation of engine torque created at the crankshaft without any losses factored in.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
It seems like most people who are having tranny problems are a result of faulty transmissions from the factory... Has anyone blown up their tc sst from over modding? There's is an MR I've see With over 500whp and 400lb on stock clutches, just was wondering what you guys have came across, I know alot of us are hesistant to mod heavily and blow up our $10,000 tranny. Particularly the EVO guys, any horror stories you'd like to share.
The answer to your question is no in regards to hp/tq related failures, not accounting for accelterated clutch wear that has been encountered, and quite rapidly in some cases.

Improper tuning can cause accelerated clutch wear/failure, however this is not catastrophic, since clutches can be replaced. Improper tuning can also cause shifting issues.

All of the SST "horror stories" have been related to failures that are totally un-related to mods or the power output of the engine. Sadly Mitsubishi still voids the warranty at the drop of a hat. That being said, there is speculation that one particulare brand of aftermarket fluid contributes to the temp sensor failures, however to my knowledge this has not been proven.

Regarding the AMS cooler, it is an upgrade from stock, but it does not provide the same cooling capacity or functionality of the SSP cooler kit with it's stand alone pump and ability to circulate transmission fluid through the cooler while the car is not running. This is important for track days with short times in between lap sessions. The SSP kit does not interfere with the OEM cooler, and in fact leaves it in place and functional.
Old May 30, 2011, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
1. Please open your eyes and watch the video again. Its 500 HP on a DYNOJET and 399 on the DYNOCOM.

2. I have seen a DYNOJET claim a Z06 vette has 505 HP to the wheels.. FAIL Then the Mustang shows 370. This is prolly more accurate.

Dynos are great tuning tools. It just cracks me up when I see wild number claims. Its all relative to the data at hand.
1. The 399 is a Dyno Dynamics Dyno which DG Motors has.
Didn't see the Dynojet at the end the first time so your right there

2. Regardless what you saw or heard When people in industry talk whp and wtq DynoJets are usually consideded the standard as readings you get from one can easily be compared to others around the world.

A stock Z06 will not make 505 on a Dynojet with the factory tune.
Old May 30, 2011, 09:01 AM

Im at 390 HP and 370 TQ now with gas tune from COBB.
Those are good #'s. Is that on stock turbo or upgraded turbo?
Old May 30, 2011, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

There is something not right about this car's tune. This a road vid of that same DG Motorsports 500 WHP Evo. Look at the speedo when the guy is flooring it. You can hear the engine screaming, shifting hard, revs flying to red-line; but by 3rd gear he's only going 60mph?!?! Shoot if I floor my car, I hit 60 in second gear, and 100 in third. What is going on with this car, its actually slower after all the work they did, something is not right here...???

Last edited by sstevojr; May 30, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old May 30, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoxmr08
Those are good #'s. Is that on stock turbo or upgraded turbo?
FP Green
Old May 30, 2011, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sstevojr
There is something not right about this car's tune. This a road vid of that same DG Motorsports 500 WHP Evo. Look at the speedo when the guy is flooring it. You can hear the engine screaming, shifting hard, revs flying to red-line; but by 3rd gear he's only going 60mph?!?! Shoot if I floor my car, I hit 60 in second gear, and 100 in third. What is going on with this car, its actually slower after all the work they did, something is not right here...???
Actually watch real closely... the camera is shaking pretty bad. But he switches into 4th at 80 and thats right on the money for an MR. The gearing is different in an MR over a GSR. But the MR does have 6 gears as well.

The plus side of the MR is at 80 MPH cruise it turns 3100 RPM and the GSR is turning 4K

As far as the speed of that car...its got very low TQ.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
Shoot if I floor my car, I hit 60 in second gear, and 100 in third.
Actually watch real closely... the camera is shaking pretty bad. But he switches into 4th at 80 and thats right on the money for an MR. The gearing is different in an MR over a GSR. But the MR does have 6 gears as well.

The plus side of the MR is at 80 MPH cruise it turns 3100 RPM and the GSR is turning 4K
You guys are a little off.

sstevojr: If you rev to 7600 rpm in your RA on stock tires, this will be what your max MPH will be for 2nd, 3rd and 4th:

2nd: 55mph
3rd: 75mph
4th: 99mph

In the MR, at 7600 they will be:

2nd: 60mph
3rd: 82mph
4th: 108mph

Supraboy:

With stock tires, the Evo MR will be hitting this RPM at 80mph in 6th:

3300 rpm

With stock tires, the Evo GSR will be hitting this RPM at 80mph in 5th:

3750 rpm
Old May 30, 2011, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
You guys are a little off.

sstevojr: If you rev to 7600 rpm in your RA on stock tires, this will be what your max MPH will be for 2nd, 3rd and 4th:

2nd: 55mph
3rd: 75mph
4th: 99mph

In the MR, at 7600 they will be:

2nd: 60mph
3rd: 82mph
4th: 108mph

Supraboy:

With stock tires, the Evo MR will be hitting this RPM at 80mph in 6th:

3300 rpm

With stock tires, the Evo GSR will be hitting this RPM at 80mph in 5th:

3750 rpm
Thanks for this. However this brings up the fact that the stock RPM gauge is WAY WAY off. I just ran my car at GPS measured speed of 80 MPH with cruise on and was at 3080 RPM give or take 50. I have stock rims and tires.
Old May 30, 2011, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks for this. However this brings up the fact that the stock RPM gauge is WAY WAY off. I just ran my car at GPS measured speed of 80 MPH with cruise on and was at 3080 RPM give or take 50. I have stock rims and tires.
A few questions/comments: Was your tachometer ever replaced after being damaged during your blue LED installs? Possible the needle was put on a few teeth off?

Your Bridgestones are .1" taller diameter than the OEM Advans.

Quick Reply: Tc-sst failure over mods?