Notices

Tc-sst failure over mods?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2011, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tc-sst failure over mods?

It seems like most people who are having tranny problems are a result of faulty transmissions from the factory... Has anyone blown up their tc sst from over modding? There's is an MR I've see With over 500whp and 400lb on stock clutches, just was wondering what you guys have came across, I know alot of us are hesistant to mod heavily and blow up our $10,000 tranny. Particularly the EVO guys, any horror stories you'd like to share.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Great questions OP! Hopefully we get some answers.
Old May 27, 2011, 03:25 PM
Evolving Member

I did the SSP 600 HP kit upgrade but I am curious how your over 500 WHP? Which dyno? What mods?
Old May 27, 2011, 03:39 PM
Evolving Member

HES not, just one that he knows of.
Old May 27, 2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
I did the SSP 600 HP kit upgrade but I am curious how your over 500 WHP? Which dyno? What mods?
Not my car
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpaQBzzvaKs&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Old May 27, 2011, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

DG motors will really blow up your car
Old May 27, 2011, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mazzab
Does anyone know how the stock clutches are holding up with the much load?
Old May 27, 2011, 10:41 PM

I emailed the owner to see if he could shed some info on it,
Old May 27, 2011, 11:23 PM
Evolving Member

on that vid...you can hear that clutch is slipping(1:48 and 2:36 sec.)
Old May 28, 2011, 04:53 AM
Evolving Member

Now I see; 500 HP doesnt mean a whole lot on a Dynojet plus note... hes only got 318 LB TQ. So on the Dynocom hes got to be way under 300 TQ. Its TQ that moves the car not HP. Its high TQ thats the issue with the stock clutches.

I have been told by the powers that be at SSP and other sources that the TQ limit on the factory clutches is somewhere around 400. Im at 390 HP and 370 TQ now with gas tune from COBB. Thats why I upgraded to the 600 HP clutch kit. Im going for a e85 tune next week.

The real issue I was having was in normal driving mode I would get pretty severe clutch slippage. In sport mode I got about a 1 second delay in a power fall off at the top of the RPM's while the car shifted. The odd thing was in manual mode it shifted better with maybe only a .5 second power drop.

After installing the 600 HP kit I notice slippage still in normal mode while gunning it hard but the down shift is instant. In sport mode the power fall off is .5 seconds now and in manual mode there is none.

I'm pretty sure the real lack of being able to hack the TCU is causing the computer to want to give the driver a SMOOTH ride. I have no doubt that between TEPHRA and COBB since they are working together that they will get this fixed. Getting the clutches to grip more is a function of getting those DCT seals to push harder. Since the SSP ones are made of Viton and not rubber like the factory, I think a good TCU hack will make this happen.

On a side note at 25K miles I did the 600 SSP kit. The factory clutches looked almost brand new with little if any wear and there were only two very small, ( like less than half of a pinky fingernail size) burn marks on the steels.

I have to also note I have gone overboard on making sure the tranny is well cared for. I have changed the tranny filter 4 times every 7500 miles plus done TWO complete fluid changes. I am also using the AMS tranny cooler. I took the attitude that it was better to spend 300 bucks for a complete cleaning very frequently rather than a 10K new tranny. I have monitored the fluid pretty closely and its never burnt or smells that way.

Last edited by Supraboy1; May 28, 2011 at 05:00 AM.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

^^yeah.. I'd rather be safe than sorry too! But I'm no where near the tq that your car is putting down. So changing the tranny fluids every 7500 is a little over kill for me. Plus my tune is very conservative anyways. I'm just waiting for someone to be able to crack the t-ecu. That'll put my mind at ease with modding for more power and torque.
Old May 28, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Now I see; 500 HP doesnt mean a whole lot on a Dynojet plus note... hes only got 318 LB TQ. So on the Dynocom hes got to be way under 300 TQ. Its TQ that moves the car not HP. Its high TQ thats the issue with the stock clutches.

I have been told by the powers that be at SSP and other sources that the TQ limit on the factory clutches is somewhere around 400. Im at 390 HP and 370 TQ now with gas tune from COBB. Thats why I upgraded to the 600 HP clutch kit. Im going for a e85 tune next week.

The real issue I was having was in normal driving mode I would get pretty severe clutch slippage. In sport mode I got about a 1 second delay in a power fall off at the top of the RPM's while the car shifted. The odd thing was in manual mode it shifted better with maybe only a .5 second power drop.

After installing the 600 HP kit I notice slippage still in normal mode while gunning it hard but the down shift is instant. In sport mode the power fall off is .5 seconds now and in manual mode there is none.

I'm pretty sure the real lack of being able to hack the TCU is causing the computer to want to give the driver a SMOOTH ride. I have no doubt that between TEPHRA and COBB since they are working together that they will get this fixed. Getting the clutches to grip more is a function of getting those DCT seals to push harder. Since the SSP ones are made of Viton and not rubber like the factory, I think a good TCU hack will make this happen.

On a side note at 25K miles I did the 600 SSP kit. The factory clutches looked almost brand new with little if any wear and there were only two very small, ( like less than half of a pinky fingernail size) burn marks on the steels.

I have to also note I have gone overboard on making sure the tranny is well cared for. I have changed the tranny filter 4 times every 7500 miles plus done TWO complete fluid changes. I am also using the AMS tranny cooler. I took the attitude that it was better to spend 300 bucks for a complete cleaning very frequently rather than a 10K new tranny. I have monitored the fluid pretty closely and its never burnt or smells that way.
The 400tq limit is CRANK tq not WHEEL tq, right? So you're at 370 WHEEL? That puts you right about at the 400 limit unless you're at 370 CRANK.
Old May 28, 2011, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zombie Killer
The 400tq limit is CRANK tq not WHEEL tq, right? So you're at 370 WHEEL? That puts you right about at the 400 limit unless you're at 370 CRANK.
Yeah I'm 370 wheel mustang dyno. That's about 410 crank. The MR tranny loses 15 %
Old May 28, 2011, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
key with the stock clutch packs are tq and not hp anyways any clutch is the same. They can take more hp that tq. I can't see that vid at work but I'm sure I've seen it before. I'd be more scared of the motor at that point than the trans. looks like the lesson today is if you care for your trans it will return the favor.

Last edited by luvboost; May 28, 2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old May 28, 2011, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

im below 350tq and i dont have slippage. supraboy any slowdown with AMS tranny cooler?

Quick Reply: Tc-sst failure over mods?