Notices

Dumb question about the MR transmission

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2011, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dumb question about the MR transmission

I'm thinking about buying an Evo and leaning towards a 2008 MR but I got a few dumb questions first.

I've seen a few post where people claimed there GSR clutch only lasted around 15-20k with a few launches and some spirited driving. How long does the twin-clutch on the MR last? Or does the SST do a good job about protecting it for the life of the car?

I'm pretty much sold on the MR but I'd be scared to see how expensive it would be to replace that twin-clutch every year or two, if it were necessary.
Old Sep 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

I have gsr, and my clutch is holding very well @32000 miles. There are no signs of going out in any time soon. Since your main concern about the MR is the transmission, the first thing you should take into consideration is the cost of replacement and maintenance. A brand new transmission will cost your over $10k (according to the forum) and the fluid change isn't cheap.

In my opinion you should visualize the goal of your horsepower. There is also an upgrade of clutch pack from ssp. To be honest, transmission shouldn't be the first thing you worry about. Try to do some researches on Tcase and differential pin failures here...

Good luck.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 2008 MR used in May of 2010 with 12,000 miles. When I put it in storage 13 months later it had ~34,000 miles on it. I've had no problems with the TC-SST whatsoever.

I've never tracked the car but I've done more than a little spirited driving.
Old Sep 26, 2011, 08:56 AM
T6
Evolving Member

I have only launched mine twice (once stock and once stage 2) to see it but I do drive sprinted and im at @ 19k miles with 0 problems on the SST. Keep in mind, I change the tranny fluid every 8k miles with its filter as well as the sst cooler fluid.

A general gig is that the GSR clutch is worse than the SST but if SST gets screwed its about 3 GSR clutches in price lol. If you dont constantly track it and just drive sprinted you will be just fine but dont forget not every single transmission is the same, you might get very unlucky or very lucky, noone knows. Just take care of it and dont track it and you will be fine.

Last edited by T6; Sep 26, 2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 10:51 PM

I have some bolt ons and a tune with 47k and haven't had any problems. The only complaint so far is the 30k service costs about $1k for fluid and filter.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by robdiesel
I have some bolt ons and a tune with 47k and haven't had any problems. The only complaint so far is the 30k service costs about $1k for fluid and filter.
Sweet jebus. What's involved in the 30k service besideds tranny fluid, tranny filter and front rear diff fluid?

I swapped all those fluids for $250 and put in an ssp trans filter so you only need to clean it and save the $115 from the paper filter.

If there's anything else please let me know. I'm come up on 30k soon.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

No, that's it. I could see it getting up to $600 or so if you replace the filter and have the dealership do it. A grand is highway robbery (unless they also did the other drivetrain fluids and remainder of the normal big service, then I think it'd be in line).

The clutches on the SST are not an area of concern. If you're looking for a well-sorted 2008 MR, hit up DonMitsu (he's a dealer in DFW) who has a beautiful 2008 MR on the lot with the SSP trans cooler, filter and pan, and makes ~385whp and 400tq on Cobb's Mustang.

http://www.donherring.com/web/used/M...Texas/1846495/

Last edited by mrMTB; Oct 4, 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old Oct 4, 2011, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by jarnett
I've seen a few post where people claimed there GSR clutch only lasted around 15-20k with a few launches and some spirited driving. How long does the twin-clutch on the MR last? Or does the SST do a good job about protecting it for the life of the car?
How long it lasts depends on how you use the car. If you add a bunch of mods and push high tq numbers and rail the car or track it hard then it might last a mile or two.

I have had my set up for over a year. I definitely have been driving it...say spirited to try and sum it up in a word.

Stock transmission. 23K on the clock. No issues. About to add the FMIC so I will likely be over 400whp. Keep fluids changed, minimal launches, don't abuse it between shifts(especially 1st-2nd) you should be fine.

Hope that helps.