Notices

All About SST Fluid

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2014, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kozmic27
I only recommend one fluid for the SST. OEM. The DCT 470 does NOT like FFL fluids. In the other forum there is a thread that I posted specifics as to why.
Kozmic, I did my fluid change about 9 months ago and followed the flush procedure to be thorough. For some reason, I didn't see all these threads about the Pentosin FFL-2 being a problem, so that's what I used (with an OEM filter).

I'm going to drain, flush, and get some Diaqueen, but since I can't find the specifics you mention above (can you find that thread?), I'm wondering:
  • Is the damage from FFL-2 a function of time, miles, "aggressiveness", or something else?
  • If time is the factor, after 9 months, is it too late for the TCU coating and the magnet epoxy?
  • If mileage is the factor, after 6000 miles, is it too late for the TCU coating and the magnet epoxy?
  • It sounds like slippage is the main symptom, which I don't have - is that indicative of anything, or is the damage already done?
I don't put tons of miles on the car (it's been ~6,000 since then), and it's my daily, so I don't drive it hard very often - mostly just hard acceleration onto highway on-ramps. My only mod is a pill and the GST map that goes with it - I haven't done the S-Sport flash, and the car is typically in Normal (not Sport).

I understand this is not purely scientific, but I'm trying to get a sense of how f**ked I am and how urgently I need to get the Diaqueen in.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 07:46 AM

^ Good questions. Looking forward to the answers.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 06:37 PM

So I've had Redline DCTF in my Evo MR with a Dodson Clubman clutch pack for the past 2.5 years, there was only 18,000 kms on the original clutch with original OEM (Diaqueen) fluid before autoX killed the stock clutch pack (not down-shifting cleanly when being pushed).

I now have 25,000 kms but am increasing power level with a GT3076R and ID1000s (I had FBOs installed back in May 2013). My question is with zero issues and four full seasons of autoX events on the Dodson Clubman clutch pack should I revert back to OEM fluid?

I've also done a couple of 1/8 mile drag days but nothing missed a beat there either.

I do not see a lot of user feedback on the Redline DCTF but lots saying to use the OEM fluid.

Any feedback welcome.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 06:20 AM

im also looking for input on this REDLINE and Motul DCT fluid? looking to due sst change next month would like to hear it from evo owner who used the fluid in there SST stock??? also maybe SST filter input as well??
Old Jan 23, 2017, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Motul specs for viscosity, flash point, etc. do not match up to OEM standards, and thats not mentioning anything about compatibility of detergent packs, etc. that are "proprietary" (not-disclosed) and incorporated into the blend. Haven't seen a spec sheet for redline yet
Old Jan 25, 2017, 06:42 AM

I spoke with my main parts supplier yesterday and asked the question wrt. Redline DCTF versus Diaqueen. He stated that he has sold over 190 quarts of Redline DCTF since it was added to his inventory, which equates to about 24 Evos changing their fluids to Redline. Not one Evo SST owner had provided negative feedback to him on using the Redline fluid.

I know that the main SST repairers state Diaqueen as the only fluid to use, but I'm going based on user feedback here and staying with Redline. Each to their own, but Redline as a company don't put any product out there unless it has been fully tested, they don't want their reputation harmed.

As for filters I would recommend sticking with the OEM paper style, you don't change the filter much so why go for a type that may not provide sufficient filtration.

If my mechatronic unit gets fried, e.g. due to conductivity issues from using Redline, be sure that I will be contacting them for a replacement SST.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:23 PM

yea heard redline and amsoil DCTF are good in other manufacture. I've read most of the thread here saying to stick with OEM, but most are old threads and these fluids rarely have any info. looking to due the tranny fluid change by the next month.

wouldn't mind save 100 on the sst fluid to use toward the trans and diff oil but that will be another thread or just buy the same brand to keep it same altogether
Old Jan 25, 2017, 03:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Save $100 on fluid that may be suspect to causing thousands of dollars in damage. Seems legit.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 05:01 PM

well whats gonna be out there when mitsubishi pull the plug on Diaqueen sstf-1 fluid what next?? just like most people with european cars don't put euro blend oil engine in motor. they still do it...someone got to get more answer then ONLY OEM FLUID.

clutches go boom they boom..... time upgrade i guess.

im surprise that many retailers haven't heard of redline, amsoil, and motul DCTF now wondering if they new to the market or it just not really known??
Old Jan 25, 2017, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Mitsu uses the SST in vehicles overseas, and the same trans is used by other manufacturers in other cars, the fluid won't be going away. Having actually talked with Erik at Kozmic, its pretty clear that the aftermarket fluids aren't worth the chance, and he sells a lot of fluid, and there is a much bigger profit margin for him on the aftermarket stuff, yet he only sells Diaqueen...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 06:50 PM

Ive seen Kozmic on only using OEM fluid and thousands of dollars on repairs is what mostly i seen from him and others on different threads.

I'm asking is to hear from actual evo sst and ralliart owner that have used other aftermarket fluids. been that there is every little info...there has to be more user out there using different products other then OEM

idk if I'm asking in the right way or what just needing some new light on these aftermarket fluid.
other company wouldn't spend money or time investing in dctf if its gonna make trannys good boom

so far Maxwelg2 and other on this thread has given great info on his redline dctf input...it time SST owner put new info on here being seen every little info on alternate options?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
we use motul DCT fluid over here and woks well.. much cheaper than OEM stuff.

When you talk about mitsubishi knowing best, bear in mind that the OE service intervals for SST are stupidly long which has a lot to do with the problems people have with it..
Old Jan 26, 2017, 12:57 AM
Evolved Member

just to add that we had 2 mecatronic units, both 2008, go wild after years of running on OE fluid..
Old Jan 26, 2017, 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by kikiturbo
we use motul DCT fluid over here and woks well.. much cheaper than OEM stuff.

When you talk about mitsubishi knowing best, bear in mind that the OE service intervals for SST are stupidly long which has a lot to do with the problems people have with it..
Also looking into MOTUL just curious if you have any more info on it??
Old Jan 26, 2017, 04:14 AM
Evolved Member

if you look at the spec sheet

https://www.motul.com/system/product...pdf?1466975864

it says that it fits the Diamond Queen SSTF-1 standard... so we had no questions about using it.. People in EU also use it in the GTR, so you can check their forums for more info. One of the two cars I see on regular bassis with this oil has been on track and the report was that it still shifts nice when hot so I have no problems using this oil in the SST..

as I said before.. regardless of oil, I would change it every 20000 km tops..

Quick Reply: All About SST Fluid