Notices

My launch control crapped out on me. Cobb AP and basic mods

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My launch control crapped out on me. Cobb AP and basic mods

The other night, I wanted to show two friends the launch control in my '11 MR. I get to a flat, open stretch of road and do what I've done numerous times in the past without problems. I turn off AYC Brake fully (hold ASC button for a few seconds until beep and release), put trans into S-Sport mode, mash brake and gas simultaneously...

The engine revved to 5,500 rpm (like normal). I held it for 2 seconds then released the brake. It felt like the car rolled forward slightly. RPMs maxed out and I got a Transmission Overheating message and I went nowhere. The trans went into a neutral state while still in drive and I had to shift to park before trying to drive again.

I thought ok maybe it's nothing and I tried again. Same exact thing happened the second time. Instead of launching it, I just slowly let off the brake and then mashed the gas WOT and no problems. Clutches held the whole way through 5th gear without slippage.

My last successful launch using launch control was when I only had a turboback exhaust and a stage 1 Cobb tune. NOTHING ELSE. Stock intake and everything. This time, I have a Cobb SF intake and a stage 2 SF tune. Could it be that my engine is making enough power now to make the tranny throw an error code when a launch is attempted? Maybe that slight increase in HP from the intake and tune is making launch control **** the bed?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trans was prob to hot thats what it does when the tranny gets hot
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

Why??????
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:32 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Needs more loving in the SST tables...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not sure if it's because the tranny is hot. I've launched it successfully when it was hotter. Plus I tried it again the next day after letting the engine get to normal temp. No good. I even loaded the stage 1 map that I had before the intake and that didn't work either. Maybe the torque limits in the SST tables need to be increased?
Old Jul 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

I believe it has to be warmed up but not 2 hot. I thought it didn’t work on mine until I drove it for about 20mins then tried it. Previous day i had driven 3 1/2 hrs on the freeway and it didn’t work when got to my destination
Old Aug 2, 2012, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It's not always the current temp the TCU is flagging the slow down message for, it also has a predictive overheating check so that if the clutch temps are rising too rapidly it also shuts down the party. This happened once when my car was stock and I did a brake boost launch instead of the stationary limiter by accident, it really didn't like that for more than 5 seconds.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 02:27 AM

i think the cobb beta maps for MRs still have lots of issues. you can try unmarry cobb from the car n see if the launch will work or not..
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On the stage 2 map I've had more frequent "transmission overheating" messages. Autocross once, frequently when doing hot laps at drag racing. I think it's a combination of less-than-perfect SST tables and the fact that I actually probably am warming things up a bit much. It's definitely worse on stage 2 than on stage 1 of the canned tunes though. Haven't run the beta stage 2's yet.