Notices

2014 MR makes "thud" sound

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 MR makes "thud" sound

Hey everyone,

My MR has about 2k on it and I've noticed some unexpected shifting noises and jerks whether in normal or sport mode . If I go WOT in 2-4th gear and I let go, I immediately get a thud noise coming from the tranny. Is that normal? I also get some jerky movement on part throttle in 1-2. Another symptom is that when I experienced jerky shifts in Normal I switch to Sport or vice versa and the jerky shifts go away. I've been driving an Evo 8 for 10 years and wanted to give the dual clutch a try but it seems that it's not all that great. Doesn't feel that it's been refined or programmed up to par from the factory.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's not normal I would bring it back to the dealer and have it looked at.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:46 PM
Evolving Member

The SST can be glitchy at times which might explain the jerky shifts. With regard to the thud, if you are pulling hard and pull your foot off the gas, the thud is probably the diff and not the tranny. This is normal. If you want to smooth the SST out, consider doing some research on tuners that are good with the SST. I got my car tuned and the SST is a lot more enjoyable now.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

i dont know if we are having the same type f noise. i just got my tranny replaced under warranty.
before the work done i was tuned and the tranny had a very loud noise when the car shift in high rpm. the sounds like metal clunking.
yesterday i went to pickup my car with new tranny replaced. the noise is basically gone but i can still hear a bit in high rpm(i kept 2nd gear @ 6k rpm), its not loud but is noticeble. at first i was just thought its in cabin rattle, but the longer I listened to it then I know its not from the cabin.
i m thinking maybe is the car shake under high rpm and the driveshaft or the cat hitted against the car bottom.
i am runing stock tune with only catback modded.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

It's normal . MR tranny is pretty noisey. When the tranny downshift from gear 3 to 2 during auto mode, it some time will jerk hard. A Whiplash feeling to describe it. It happens more often when I am slowing down for a red light and the light turn green all of sudden. The tranny will downshift from 3 to 2 and then I accelerate to go. This is where the hard jerk occurs. I got use to it, I have to wait a little like tenth of second to give the tcu time to register then throttle and go.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the input guys. I've watched a whole hour video on the Getrag tranny that we have in our car and the symptoms that I'm experiencing now sound like normal behavior. The guy in the video was an expert and sounded like he knew what he was talking about which is a lot more than what the mechanics at the dealership might know. I'll have them check the tranny when I take her for my first oil change which should be in about a month and let you know what happens. Thanks for all the feedback. And one day I'll get used to this tranny. The bad part is that I drove a new Cayman with PDK and that tranny is so much better. But for what we paid for I guess it's not bad at all, still german engineering after all
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Gqracer
It's normal . MR tranny is pretty noisey. When the tranny downshift from gear 3 to 2 during auto mode, it some time will jerk hard. A Whiplash feeling to describe it. It happens more often when I am slowing down for a red light and the light turn green all of sudden. The tranny will downshift from 3 to 2 and then I accelerate to go. This is where the hard jerk occurs. I got use to it, I have to wait a little like tenth of second to give the tcu time to register then throttle and go.
Yep, for the first 6 months while driving in rush hour traffic, I freaked a bit a few times because I thought I was rear-ended. Nope, just the tranny.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

I've found the thud to be more common when letting off heavy throttle while in "manual" mode. If you let the car control the shifts at WOT it will be smoother (when letting off), but I've also found it to rev quite high, which gets annoying because the power drops off past 6K with a factory tune.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As I understand it, every DCT will be a bit jerky. This is a tradeoff to having an automated manual - the TCU is doing the best job it can predicting when it should engage/disengage a clutch. It's mechanically different from a conventional auto with a torque converter and planetary gearsets.

I dont hear much at all, thud or otherwise, but as far as jerkiness I've experienced all of the circumstances described in the posts above mine.