Notices

Wont engage reverse and unable to pull fault code

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wont engage reverse and unable to pull fault code

Well, after saving up to get my gearbox clutch packs and seals replaced and finally having the car back on the road for a few months my SST has now decided it doesn't want to engage reverse

I had already decided I was going to sell it because I cant afford to run it but now its broken again so cant get rid!

Anyway, enough of the sob story! The car wont engage reverse at all, I can hear a repeated 'clamping' noise from the box and the car sorts of rocks forwards a little bit whilst the reverse light blinks on the dash. It also sometimes skips 1st and goes straight to second. The lack of reverse is the real killer though. Have tried numerous times to get it to engage, though plenty of ignition cycles, always with my foot firmly on the brake.

I have tried doing an SST teach-in but the procedure failed at the Shift Fork teach-in stage. The dash gives me a service required message but I cannot seem to pull the code using EvoScan, with Evo X SST selected. Is EvoScan capable of pulling gearbox codes?

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could try? Both to fix it and also to try and pull a fault code from it. Any help would be great
Old Jun 8, 2016, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry for the long thread bump, but this just happened to my car. After driving to work this morning my car wouldn't go into reverse! The R light was flashing and it wouldn't go into reverse. Did you ever resolve this issue?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Most of the time this is clutch related, but not always. It will set a code if it won't go into gear. You may not be able to read it depending on what reader you are using. If you lift off the brake when putting it into reverse, it may help coax it in by unloading the transmission.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kozmic27
Most of the time this is clutch related, but not always. It will set a code if it won't go into gear. You may not be able to read it depending on what reader you are using. If you lift off the brake when putting it into reverse, it may help coax it in by unloading the transmission.
Thanks for the response. I did pull a couple codes - reverse gear block and 1st gear block. Since I was locked out of gear I decided to make sure that I had enough transmission fluid. I drained just over 6 liters of fluid and refilled with 7 liters because I have an ssp deep sump oil pan and trans cooler. I also have 600 hp clutch packs. I started the car and ran it with on jack stands with all 4 tires off the ground. The transmission would still not go into reverse but I had all of the forward gears. It was strange though because when I put it in neutral the wheels started spinning backwards! I'm hoping that a relearn on the transmission will fix this problem. I am trying to get set up to do a teach in with my laptop and tactrix cable. Do you have any other ideas of what could be going on? Any insight would be appreciated...
Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Those clutches are not known for lasting very long. It's the clutch. I would fix that soon before you damage forks, which are pretty expensive to fix.