Notices

Replacing trans in 09 RA with 15 MR SST

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing trans in 09 RA with 15 MR SST

So I am about to have my local shop swap my ailing SST in my 09 RA with a very low mileage unit from a 15 MR. I can;t find a concrete answer what needs to be done flash wise to the ECU or TCU to make everything work happily.

My first goal is obviously to make the car drive properly again, but obviously I still want to take advantage of the S-Sport mode AND launch control programming in the 15 MR tranny.

Any advice? Dropping the car off today!
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:15 AM

Did you check to make sure that the wiring will match up? They did a wiring harness change in 2011, so anything that runs thru the CAN Bus system and the ETACS sys will have a different pin out.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 11:16 AM

FML, really??? I have not seen any mention of this anywhere. Can you provide details? Is this something we can repin somehow?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by iroc_g
I can't find a concrete answer what needs to be done flash wise to the ECU or TCU to make everything work happily.

Dropping the car off today!
If you cant find a concrete answer then dont drop it off..

my guess is you will need a MUT tool to flash the software onto the TCU

z
e
R
e
p
Old Jan 5, 2016, 01:46 PM

Well, too late for that! In reading through all the information about flashing the TCU via TACTRIX, it seems like there are no issues using that method to flash if needed. Also, I have been told the TCU (metronic?) itself is plug and play through all years. As the wiring harness connects directly to that I can;t see where the difference would be.

I told the shop to verify the wiring before proceeding just to be safe. I'm also going to see if I can find a service manual online to look at. Im new to the car, so haven't had to find any of this yet!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:16 AM

Well I wanted to post an update in case anybody ever needs the information. Nothing to worry about!

To recap, Car is a 2009 Ralliart, and we swapped in a 2015 MR transmission. Plug and play! No need for any re flashing, teach-in or anything else. Wiring was all identical. Car drives completely different now, and that's a good thing. Car now also has S-Sport mode. Can not confirm launch control yet, as I am going to take it easy on things for a bit, but I have no reason to suspect it is not there as well!
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Well I wanted to post an update in case anybody ever needs the information. Nothing to worry about!

To recap, Car is a 2009 Ralliart, and we swapped in a 2015 MR transmission. Plug and play! No need for any re flashing, teach-in or anything else. Wiring was all identical. Car drives completely different now, and that's a good thing. Car now also has S-Sport mode. Can not confirm launch control yet, as I am going to take it easy on things for a bit, but I have no reason to suspect it is not there as well!
Yes you now have LC too as that and S-Sport is contained in the TCU attached to the transmission.

Congrats on the new, better trans!

You might want to also use the MR specific SST tables in the engine ROM to make sure everything is working well together. There are a bunch of torque tables and such in the ECU that are much different for MR compared to RA.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That is badass!

The RA has come a long way since i owned one

Hence my post about the MUT3 tool.

z
e
R
e
p
Old Jan 13, 2016, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
Yes you now have LC too as that and S-Sport is contained in the TCU attached to the transmission.

Congrats on the new, better trans!

You might want to also use the MR specific SST tables in the engine ROM to make sure everything is working well together. There are a bunch of torque tables and such in the ECU that are much different for MR compared to RA.
Might explain the surprisingly soft shifts. I just enhareted most of an X turbo setup, so once that goes in well have to start tuning and we'll look into that as well!