Notices
Mitsubishi Vehicles (Airtrek / Outlander) Use this forum to discuss any other types of Mitsu/DSM vehicles, past and present

To Import or NOT to import?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013 | 07:38 PM

To Import or NOT to import?

Hows it going, everyone?

I've been thinking about buying an '01 mirage sedan and doing a customized evo conversion. I'd keep the 1.5 (or 1.8 depending on what I find.) I'd throw in a small turbo charger and eventually do an Evo AWD conversion. My result would be a small, quick car, thats great with handling and good on gas. (of course i'd upgraded the struts, interior, and pipes/intake)

OR on the other hand I could import an evo for a very cheap price (cheaper than converting the mirage or buying a turbo) I'd have a REAL evo, gas mileage would suck...but who cares? it's an evo... but the downside is not being able to LEAGALLY register the car... sure I could do a VIN swap, but my concience would get the better of me.... and so would my paranoia... : / (not really, but ive been legal THIS long <.< )

So what do you guys think? get a D/D Mirage and make it my project car? or just get an evo 5 just for the heck of it?

I wouldn't say that money isn't an issue.... (I have the patience and cash to do all this) but it's even LESS of an issue if I import. The upside to doing the conversion is that I can do it in stages. I wont need all the cash/parts up front.

Just curious as to what you guys think.
Old Mar 31, 2013 | 06:46 PM

I think you've pretty much talked yourself into what you want to do. Let us know how that turns out.
Old Mar 31, 2013 | 07:16 PM
Evolving Member

Youre getting an evo 5 imported here for lass than the price of a mirage + turbo?
An evo 5 in Japan for less than 5K is JUNK. Shipping is probably close to 1500.

Importing the car for NON ROAD USE, is still very expensive, and not as easy as you think. You will spend more money/time registering the car than buying it and getting it to the port.
Old Apr 3, 2013 | 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Mirage conversion.
Old Apr 5, 2013 | 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

Hold out til they're legal to import. Seen a million of these threads, it's such a pain in the *** to import a car like that. And mirage conversions are lame in my opinion.