Notices
Motor Sports If you like rallying, road racing, autoxing, or track events, then this is the spot for you.

VIR track days November 20-21

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VIR track days November 20-21

This is a 2 day event using the full track at VIR on November 20-21. There are 4 run groups in 30" sessions. Price of $299 includes a banquet & t-shirt. There is a free chassis dyno but the woman I spoke with was unsure if it was 2 wheel drive only. See www.gandwmotorsports.com for application. It includes a beginer's group with in-car instruction. Hope to see some other Evo's there.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

I am going to try to make it. I have been wanting to get to VIR. Going to have to order another set of RA1 though.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

I am in, I will be there, but not in my Evo. If all works out, you may see a car, you are used to seeing at the drag strip, so I would recommend coming down or up as the case may be.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Greyman09:

Consider talking to the people putting this on. You can order race/street tires through them and have them mounted at the track.

S&TF:

A dragster at VIR? Well, it does have a couple of humongous straights.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

VIR Full is a blast. I went earlier this year and I can't wait to go back. I would go but I just can't swing it right now.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Yes, one about 4800ft I believe, but I am not positive. No, the car is being converted to turn right and left, while stopping too. It should be a blast. It is being detuned from it's 700whp to 400whp for this event, for OBVIOUS reasons. However, nothing is 'final' yet, we are still talking at this point. I am hoping to hear from him about whether he is going or not today. If he says it is ok, I will post pics of the car, and you all can very easily find out who it is.

Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

just registered, haven't been to VIR in over 2 yrs. it's almost 500 miles for me, but $300 for a weekend on the long course is to good to pass up...
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:10 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, it's well over 500 miles from Cincy, but mostly interstates. I will probably leave the track early Sunday to get back the same day. Ringmeister, are you driving a BMW?

I discovered this event on a Miata website that I visit as a former Miata owner & I know some turbocharged Miatas are coming.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
where is this track located at. does anyone have link to the track website, if it has one.

-Chad-
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

It's near Alton, Virginia, the middle of nowhere. Go to www.virclub.com, or to the web site in my original post, which has links to VIR, or just type Virginia International Raceway into Google. Do a search for it in this forum for reports of past experiences there, etc.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Is this to be considered a DE of sorts? I've been in 5 weekend DE's and have done very well. Would I belong in Green or Blue? I've never ran at VIR before.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mayhem
Is this to be considered a DE of sorts? I've been in 5 weekend DE's and have done very well. Would I belong in Green or Blue? I've never ran at VIR before.
I would say it depends on your knowledge of the car. I feel that car knowledge is the next most important thing, right behind track knowledge.

If you don't know the track but know your car very well I would say you should run with the higher class but if you are still a little unsure of your car then I would go to the lower class.

I was in HPDE 2 at Summit Point last weekend but never ran the track. I know the Evo very well and after 2 sessions I was very comfortable and was running with the pack.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

me echos 'nrcooled'.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

There are 4 groups accordng to the Web site:"Proessional", beginner (for people who need some in car tutoring) and over 3 liters & under 3 liters (regardless of driving experience). I pointed out to them that this meant that my 2 liter Evo would be in with 130 hp Miatas, etc., and that I typically ran with Mustangs & 'Vettes. They said I could ask to be bumped into the 3 liter class if I felt I was being held up in the under 3 liter class. It is a big track and there are lots of easy passsing zones, so slow traffic shoul not be as much of a problem as other tracks.

I expect, however, that I will be in the over 3 liter group after my first session. In fact, I am going to ask in the drivers' meeting if I can switch right then because the EVO will hit 135 mph in places a Miata might see 120, which is a large speed differential and not especially safe.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

^^^Agreed, I jokingly suggested that VIR should replace the "turtle flag" that they have with a "miata flag" so faster cars won't run over them coming out of Oaktree lol

I came hauling a$$ out of the uphill esses then to turn 9 carring tons of speed. Trailbraked into turn 10 (oaktree) to rotate and after clearing the corner worker station realized that there was a miata there not going anywhere fast and almost collected him in my front bumper. Definately a butt pucker moment!!!

Quick Reply: VIR track days November 20-21